Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997 PCM update gone wrong, help needed

Hello all,

First of all, to echo another poster, BEWARE trying to update your PCM yourself, you can create a mess.

That said, I have a mid 2005 US 997 carrera S cabrio with navi and bose that I recently purchased used from a dealer in AZ. This car is still under factory warranty.

I tried yesterday to update my PCM 2.1 with the the Porsche MMI update CDs (1&2) that I downloaded from the internet along with an updated navigation DVD (997.642.257.05) that I ebayed. I did for two reasons, 1, to enable MP3 playback in the CD unit, 2, to get the latest maps and POI.

I inserted the MMI updated CD1 into the CD drive (not the changer or DVD navi unit) and started the process. After a few minutes the system appeared locked up while checking the disk and so I stupidly hit the eject button. This was a huge mistake.

The system ejected the CD and then did not return to the main screen, I did not take notes on what exactly was on the screen, however it seemed that the status said OK, so I assumed this was not an issue. I reinserted the CD thinking perhaps it would pick up where it left off (by this time I assumed it was still working and not in fact locked up). The system did not move further. I turned the car on and off and attempted to eject the CD, no luck. Now, the system gives me a message after a few moments (most likely after scanning the MOST ring) telling me the amp, CD changer and AMP are not available.

I have tried to push 148, I removed the fuse and replaced after a few minutes, however I still cannot get the CD to eject.

Based on the screenshots I took of the system post update (attached) and a lot of research that I should have done before this and not after, I surmise that I was at Level A and had I permitted the update to proceed would have been updated to level B.

My question to this list is whether there is anything I can do at home, or whether this is going to have to go to the dealer at this time. I am hoping that I have not bricked my entire PCM system. Being a techno-geek, I assumed updating a Porsche would be as trouble free as patching some software on a phone or a PC, I was very wrong.

Thanks and really enjoy this board!

- nick in sf

post-37126-1231117034_thumb.jpg

post-37126-1231117043_thumb.jpg

post-37126-1231117050_thumb.jpg

post-37126-1231117058_thumb.jpg

post-37126-1231117066_thumb.jpg

Edited by Loren
Removed LARGE type face

Were your screen shots before or after your attempted update? From the AMP screen shot I assume they were taken after since the 'Target/Actual' don't match.

You have a PCM w/ phone capabilities so it should be capable of MP3 playback w/ the proper software update. The initial PCM doesn't have the hardware to support MP3 files. There is a 'free' Porsche Technical bulletin and fix for this matter as long as the PCM was of the correct version.

I suspect you'll need a trip to your dealer to straighten things out. The PIWIS tool might (I repeat might) be able to reset and restore each of the devices as long as they haven't been corrupted or turned into bricks. Since you're still under warranty you can simply play dumb and say you had nothing to do with any this and have them 'fix it'.

As you now know the PCM, AMP and NAV need to be compatible from both a hardware & software level in order to go through a successful PCM & NAV update. There are numerous hardware levels of both PCMs and Amps that make this task troublesome at best. Porsche has numerous compatibility tables and charts regarding this matter. They are all geared to 'professional' Porsche service techs and reference internal documents, procedures & tools that make these upgrades difficult for the DIY type.

Good Luck!

Were your screen shots before or after your attempted update? From the AMP screen shot I assume they were taken after since the 'Target/Actual' don't match.

You have a PCM w/ phone capabilities so it should be capable of MP3 playback w/ the proper software update. The initial PCM doesn't have the hardware to support MP3 files. There is a 'free' Porsche Technical bulletin and fix for this matter as long as the PCM was of the correct version.

I suspect you'll need a trip to your dealer to straighten things out. The PIWIS tool might (I repeat might) be able to reset and restore each of the devices as long as they haven't been corrupted or turned into bricks. Since you're still under warranty you can simply play dumb and say you had nothing to do with any this and have them 'fix it'.

As you now know the PCM, AMP and NAV need to be compatible from both a hardware & software level in order to go through a successful PCM & NAV update. There are numerous hardware levels of both PCMs and Amps that make this task troublesome at best. Porsche has numerous compatibility tables and charts regarding this matter. They are all geared to 'professional' Porsche service techs and reference internal documents, procedures & tools that make these upgrades difficult for the DIY type.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the help AP997s. I noted you are in a similar situation, and I am hoping that you are able to straighten out your PCM in as low cost a manner as possible.

The screenshots are indeed after, not before. I think I might face a little warranty difficulty since the CD that is stuck in the drive is labeled (in marker no less) "PCM 2.1 update". My plan right now is to play dumb with the dealer and tell them I found the disk in the glovebox and stuck it in.

Will update as to the effectiveness of this strategy!

Hello all,

First of all, to echo another poster, BEWARE trying to update your PCM yourself, you can create a mess.

That said, I have a mid 2005 US 997 carrera S cabrio with navi and bose that I recently purchased used from a dealer in AZ. This car is still under factory warranty.

I tried yesterday to update my PCM 2.1 with the the Porsche MMI update CDs (1&2) that I downloaded from the internet along with an updated navigation DVD (997.642.257.05) that I ebayed. I did for two reasons, 1, to enable MP3 playback in the CD unit, 2, to get the latest maps and POI.

I inserted the MMI updated CD1 into the CD drive (not the changer or DVD navi unit) and started the process. After a few minutes the system appeared locked up while checking the disk and so I stupidly hit the eject button. This was a huge mistake.

The system ejected the CD and then did not return to the main screen, I did not take notes on what exactly was on the screen, however it seemed that the status said OK, so I assumed this was not an issue. I reinserted the CD thinking perhaps it would pick up where it left off (by this time I assumed it was still working and not in fact locked up). The system did not move further. I turned the car on and off and attempted to eject the CD, no luck. Now, the system gives me a message after a few moments (most likely after scanning the MOST ring) telling me the amp, CD changer and AMP are not available.

I have tried to push 148, I removed the fuse and replaced after a few minutes, however I still cannot get the CD to eject.

Based on the screenshots I took of the system post update (attached) and a lot of research that I should have done before this and not after, I surmise that I was at Level A and had I permitted the update to proceed would have been updated to level B.

My question to this list is whether there is anything I can do at home, or whether this is going to have to go to the dealer at this time. I am hoping that I have not bricked my entire PCM system. Being a techno-geek, I assumed updating a Porsche would be as trouble free as patching some software on a phone or a PC, I was very wrong.

- nick in sf

Hi, try holding the eject button down for a lond time and it should eventually eject the cd, try it with the key off first.

Regards,

Vizcarra44

Hello all,

- nick in sf

Hi, try holding the eject button down for a lond time and it should eventually eject the cd, try it with the key off first.

Regards,

Vizcarra44

I also see that your system is base 1.0 which is not even level A. You tried to install a newer nav disc that belongs only in Pcm 2.1 with SW versions 4.0 or 4.1

What needed to be done was install the update disc 000.043.205.46.004 which will put you at 2.1 SW version Level A

Then you need the newest kit 997.044.901.51 which will update you to level B. This kit comes with a couple of discs. The whole procedure must be done with care and patience. Look at the TSB 9110

Good luck

Hi Vizcarra44,

1) I can tell you from personal experience every method or technique to eject a 'stuck' PCM update disc that the PCM is/was attempting to read short of removing the PCM and disassembly has been unsuccessful. None of them have worked in my case. If it's a PCM update disc I suspect the PCM has encountered an unexpected error or response will continue to wait for the proper response and/or attempt recovery ignoring all commands to eject the disc. IMHO the update code is written rather poorly and certainly doesn't have any fail/safe features (ie. interrogating the installed devices prior to rewriting, erasing, etc) to prevent system failures .

Faulty, dirty or corrupted discs are a different animal and chances are they will eject using the typical eject scenarios (ie. PCM reset (1-4-8), voltage toggle, rapid eject button pushing, security on/off, key on/off etc, etc).

2) If you have the initial PCM (Level 1.0 or S/W 4035) and Bose Amp you first must ensure that your Bose Amp is at S/W level 17500 as a minimum. I believe this is a hardware matter since I don't believe the PCM can handle the amp software upgrade to that level. Update disc 000.043.205.46.004 will only work if the amp is at a later level than the initial release.

Looking at the information you have posted I can see a couple of errors. I assume you did not have the tech bulletin before starting the update , as CD2 should always be inserted into the PCM before CD1 regardless whether a phone is installed or not. Secondly , downloaded software has its own problems as there is no way to verify it or ensure thats its correctly formatted on the CD. The updating of a pre production status or level A unit will not enable MP3 playback. I assume you got this misinformation from the same source as the software , which only goes to show the provider knew little about what they were doing. The update process has periods of inactivity which can make you sweat, but they do pass , you just need to be patient and have some confidence in the software you are installing.

Your PCM software was 04202JD1/3004 which is level A , so the update to level B is correct . The software version 1 does not necessarily mean its pre level A , you need to look at the PCM version. There was a revision on the level B update in 2007 ,though the part number on the update CD's remained unchanged , so I do not beleive its significant. When updating the PCM , it's essential that the ignition is kept "on" to prevent the pcm switching off , as a power save , which interrupts the update. It's possible you may be able to reset the PCM back to its original data set by pulling the fuse that powers the PCM and Nav. I beleive its D9 , though you should find a tech bulletin titled " navigation errors after inserting the wrong DVD" that will give more details. The 997 vehicles seem to be more problematic at updating than the Boxster even though the PCM and Amplifiers are the same devices. My suspicion is that the update CD is not wholly compatable with the BOSE configuration used in the 997 (it has more speaker outputs). Certainly i'm not aware of any 987 boxsters with PCM and Bose having any difficulties in updating to level B. I beleive the problem in this case is a result of copied software and not being fully aware of the correct procedure. There are plenty on the forum able to offer help and advice, for any others considering this its worth asking before you try this yourself.

Edited by berty987

I believe you turned your amp into a brick much like the other guy trying to do a nav update. For some reason this happens if you try to do the update while having the earliest version of the BOSE software. Don't feel bad though, I made the same mistake. Porsche doesnt make it very clear but I guess this is why they say the TSB's are NOT FOR THE DIY'ER lol. Luckily my extended warranty covered the cost of a new amp and with the new amp installed everything went smooth with the update. Someone should create a sticky on the top of the forums or something like that though because this has the potential to be a 1000$ (cost of a new amp) mistake.

Edited by PTEC

Hi Vizcarra44,

1) I can tell you from personal experience every method or technique to eject a 'stuck' PCM update disc that the PCM is/was attempting to read short of removing the PCM and disassembly has been unsuccessful. None of them have worked in my case. If it's a PCM update disc I suspect the PCM has encountered an unexpected error or response will continue to wait for the proper response and/or attempt recovery ignoring all commands to eject the disc. IMHO the update code is written rather poorly and certainly doesn't have any fail/safe features (ie. interrogating the installed devices prior to rewriting, erasing, etc) to prevent system failures .

Faulty, dirty or corrupted discs are a different animal and chances are they will eject using the typical eject scenarios (ie. PCM reset (1-4-8), voltage toggle, rapid eject button pushing, security on/off, key on/off etc, etc).

2) If you have the initial PCM (Level 1.0 or S/W 4035) and Bose Amp you first must ensure that your Bose Amp is at S/W level 17500 as a minimum. I believe this is a hardware matter since I don't believe the PCM can handle the amp software upgrade to that level. Update disc 000.043.205.46.004 will only work if the amp is at a later level than the initial release.

FLASH

Took my car out this morning to run a few errands. On initial start-up I heard a clicking sound and lo and behold out pops the update disc. It either timed out (10 days in stuck status) or it decided it spent enough time in the PCM or some devine power gave it the 'eject command'. It's simply FM.

Anyway my new amp gets installed on Wednesday and hopefully that'll get me back on a smooth update road.

Hi Vizcarra44,

FLASH

Took my car out this morning to run a few errands. On initial start-up I heard a clicking sound and lo and behold out pops the update disc. It either timed out (10 days in stuck status) or it decided it spent enough time in the PCM or some devine power gave it the 'eject command'. It's simply FM.

Anyway my new amp gets installed on Wednesday and hopefully that'll get me back on a smooth update road.

Awesome news. If the damned CD would just pop out of mine it would make taking this to the dealer to have it sorted so much easier (and potentially less expensive). I suppose I could wait it out.

Did you drive the car at all over those 10 days or was it parked without you starting the car. I thought about disconnecting the battery, but the thought of having to reset all the DME components, steering angle sensors, etc etc etc made me quickly change my mind.

Thanks, I have my fingers crossed for a speedy and (relatively) inexpensive recovery for your car!

- nick

Hi Vizcarra44,

FLASH

Took my car out this morning to run a few errands. On initial start-up I heard a clicking sound and lo and behold out pops the update disc. It either timed out (10 days in stuck status) or it decided it spent enough time in the PCM or some divine power gave it the 'eject command'. It's simply FM.

Awesome news. If the damned CD would just pop out of mine it would make taking this to the dealer to have it sorted so much easier (and potentially less expensive). I suppose I could wait it out.

Did you drive the car at all over those 10 days or was it parked without you starting the car. I thought about disconnecting the battery, but the thought of having to reset all the DME components, steering angle sensors, etc etc etc made me quickly change my mind.

Thanks, I have my fingers crossed for a speedy and (relatively) inexpensive recovery for your car!

- nick

Nick,

I drove the car off and on over the past 10 days. Of course every time I drove it I would push the eject button feverishly . . to no avail. Like I said in my earlier posts I tried all of the 'tricks' to get the disc to eject. None worked . . . . . it ejects when it wants to! Give it some time; yours might just decide to show it's face all by itself.

Arnie

UPDATE

New Bose amp was installed this morning. It's a 5 minute job.

PCM Update disc p/n 000 043 205 46 004 (Level 2 - 4202) was retried and all went well.

PCM software is now at 4202 and Bose Amp software is 17500.

Even my Dension GW500 was restored w/o having to reset anything.

No drama or issues now.

Bottomline: If your Bose amp displays a s/w level of 16400 it must be dealt w/ prior to any PCM updates.

Next step is to go forward w/ PCM2.1 - NAV Update (Kit 997-044-901-51).

Thanks to Berty & PTEC for their information and advice.

ps. Even though my 997S is out of warranty my dealer provided the new amp and labor on a 'Goodwill Work Order'. Kudos to them.

Great news Arnie !!. Seems like every cloud has a silver lining, I'd suggest if you asked the dealer to do the update straight off, they may well have spotted the amp needed replacement and asked you to contribute up front. Though it's been a lot of headaches it seems you came out on top with a new AMP F.O.C. I assume you are now at level A software and ready to update to level B , thus allowing you to run the later maps of 2005 to 2007. The level A to level B should now roll through smoothly bringing you up to software version 3 which is as far as the early non MP3 PCM 2.1 units can go. Will you be doing this update yourself or returning to the dealer ? Pleased it has all worked out for you, thanks for sharing your experiences , I realise it must be difficult to write them down when it seems the world is falling around you and its all gone horribly wrong.

Edited by berty987

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I recently bought a Porsche Cayenne Turbo 9PA with PCM 1.0 and Bose amp
I found on the web iso files to update the PCM 1.0 to 3.0 (level B) allowing the installation of new maps 08/2012

Currently I have only used the disc 1. The update seems to have been passed correctly. Here are the versions displayed.

post-92452-0-16596300-1380661728_thumb.jpost-92452-0-69588500-1380661729_thumb.jpost-92452-0-23266500-1380661731_thumb.jpost-92452-0-75510000-1380661732_thumb.jpost-92452-0-35164100-1380661734_thumb.jpost-92452-0-95248700-1380661735_thumb.j

Many people report having bricked the Bose am doing these updates.

The amp is currently in version 16457 it should theoretically be at least 17500 in order to remain compatible with the system.

I fear to brick the bose amp if I make the following update (disc 2)

For now my navigation dvd 2004 still works. The new DVD 2012 is not recognized. I guess this is normal as long as the disc 2 update is not applied? But what will happen to the amp. Is there realy a risk of bricking it?

Before doning a big mistake i prefer to ask you.

The used cd and dvd's:

Model CD Level B (Disc 1): 000.043.47.002
Level C Model CD (Disc 2): 000.044.901.40
Maps DVD (DVD 3): 997.044.903.50

Thanks for your advise !

Gab

I have not known of a Cayenne amp being bricked by the updates - only 987/997's.

If your PCM2.1 PCM software version was 1.0 when you started, then there is a possibility you should have installed the Level A update prior to the Level B update. Having said that, it seems it has accepted the Level B update OK.

The Level C update does nothing to the amplifier software, so you have no need to worry.

Edited by Richard Hamilton