Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

A year of 3.2S (2000) maintenance

So far, over the past year, my car has had the following work done:

New Airbag ECU

Front and rear CV Boots

6 new tyres

2x high flow manifolds fitted

Mass Air Flow Sensor replaced

1x rear brake light

2x front light bulbs

New clutch

1x windscreen chip repaired

Work outstanding:

DME reprogrammed

Rear window repaired/replaced (split)

great car...high maintenance!

I don't believe these cars to be high maintenance but they tend to be expensive to fix. Most what you listed is normal wear and tear.

I guess I am comparing it to my old "normal" car...maybe one thing a year! But, yes, have noticed the expensive bit a few times!! lol

I bought a poorly maintained '98 with a blown engine. Dropped in a used replacement with new O2 sensors, AOS, and spark plugs. And that's the extent of maintenance. I realize this isn't fair comparison, but now that I'm familiar with the car, I expect maintenance to be quite manageable. One has to look at Porsche as exceptionally designed, engineered, and manufactured true sports cars for public use. And because they're sports cars, when used as designed, require a different measure of maintenance from cars desgined to be driven and ignored. I also have three 928's which are often maligned for their maintence. I've found that if sorted out properly, they give far superior performance and reliability than most cars and do it applying very reasonable level and cost of maintenance.

I bought a poorly maintained '98 with a blown engine. Dropped in a used replacement with new O2 sensors, AOS, and spark plugs. And that's the extent of maintenance. I realize this isn't fair comparison, but now that I'm familiar with the car, I expect maintenance to be quite manageable. One has to look at Porsche as exceptionally designed, engineered, and manufactured true sports cars for public use. And because they're sports cars, when used as designed, require a different measure of maintenance from cars desgined to be driven and ignored. I also have three 928's which are often maligned for their maintence. I've found that if sorted out properly, they give far superior performance and reliability than most cars and do it applying very reasonable level and cost of maintenance.

I must admit, mine is now due new air filter, fuel filter, oil filter, oil change and spark plugs...

New Airbag ECU

Front and rear CV Boots

6 new tyres

1x rear brake light

2x front light bulbs

New clutch

Work outstanding:

DME reprogrammed

Six (6) new tires...I'm assuming two sets in the rear and one set in the front? How miles did you put on the vehicle over the past year? I've got an '03 (non S) with 138,400 and other than the bulbs and regular maintenance, I haven't had to do anything. I'm still running hard on the original clutch. I drive a mountain pass each day and drive hard...my tires have been pretty good too. ;)

Best car I've ever owned.

All the best,

Bill B)

New Airbag ECU

Front and rear CV Boots

6 new tyres

1x rear brake light

2x front light bulbs

New clutch

Work outstanding:

DME reprogrammed

Six (6) new tires...I'm assuming two sets in the rear and one set in the front? How miles did you put on the vehicle over the past year? I've got an '03 (non S) with 138,400 and other than the bulbs and regular maintenance, I haven't had to do anything. I'm still running hard on the original clutch. I drive a mountain pass each day and drive hard...my tires have been pretty good too. ;)

Best car I've ever owned.

All the best,

Bill B)

Yes, was 1 set for front and 2 for rear...the S really rockets and i guess I drive too hard! lol I have done about 10000 miles in past 12 months...

Edited by Elliottc26

Intake manifolds, or exhaust manifolds? And were those "maintenance" items, or upgrades?

Why does the DME need to be reprogrammed?

Exhaust manifolds...needed replacing so upgraded to high-flow stainless steel...

Thought MAF was new style, turns out was old style...

All the work I have had done has been maintenance...would also like alloy wheels refurbished (look knackered!) and am having new 02 sensor installed (again needed as one of mine is duff)...MOT due in April...also have air filter en route...

Edited by Elliottc26