Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

replacing battery in cayenne

Hello all, I have searched this, but still have a couple questions...

1) Battery under seat is for all the electronics etc.

2) Auxillary battery in the back is for starting only

Do you have to replace both batteries, or just the one under the seat?

What issues arise when the battery starts to go? Our radio has been doing wierd things, heating won't come on until cayenne starts and things cycle through (about 10 seconds)

With the key in the ignition - volt meter reads approx 11 votls, and when running reads 14-15: does this indicate time for new battery

thanks

brent

What's worse is there does not seem to be any aftermarket replacements. I tried my local Sears to get a International series battery and there was no option for the Cayenne. I ended up having to just get another OEM replacement from Porsche. :(

David

Replacing just the main battery did wonders for my 2003 Cayenne T.

It was the original OEM battery and was 5.5 years old. Provided reliable service up to that point.

I still haven't replaced the AUX cranking battery as it still starts the car no problems.

If it is cranking ok, just replacing the main battery should suffice.

I had it done at Porsche service centre during the scheduled 90,000km service. They used an original OEM battery again, and will be happy with this if it provides the same length of service as the last one.

The only info I have is that the OEM batt is provided as a dry cell and they add the acid upon installation.

This is the best way to store a battery as the battery does not sit 'wet' for months or years waiting to be used.

I can't comment on the batt post orientation.

Edited by bigbuzuki

Hello all, I have searched this, but still have a couple questions...

1) Battery under seat is for all the electronics etc.

2) Auxillary battery in the back is for starting only

Do you have to replace both batteries, or just the one under the seat?

What issues arise when the battery starts to go? Our radio has been doing wierd things, heating won't come on until cayenne starts and things cycle through (about 10 seconds)

With the key in the ignition - volt meter reads approx 11 votls, and when running reads 14-15: does this indicate time for new battery

thanks

brent

Cayennes do really strange things when the batteries start to go. Anything from components not working properly to warning messages. If you change the main battery under the seat, this should take care of the majority of your problems. However, if I had two batteries in my Cayenne, I'd probably change them both.

• 2 weeks later...

In reference to the Optima battery, I believe I read somewhere that they are too tall to fit in the space provided. Really dumb of Porsche to put a battery that needs service ie periodic water replacement under the seat and then recommend service every 2years or 20000 miles. Some sort of maintenance free battery should have been speced!

I finally bought the special 10mm triple square tool from Snapon that is necessary to remove the seat bolts. Uncovered the battery so as to service it--discovered that it is a Varta with no removeable caps thus no maintenance necessary. The Varta catalog shows the replacement to be a Varta Ultra dynamic--which is an AGM absorbant glass mat with no maintenance required. It would seem to be a no brainer to replace the battery with a similar no maintenance battery--unless you enjoy unbolting the seat once a year to add water. I would guess that the no maintenance feature accounts for the high price of an oem replacement.

I discovered that Varta has been bought by Johnson Controls--they make Interstate batteries and a lot of the batteries sold by various auto supply stores. I emailed Johnson Controls yesterday to ask where to purchase , other than Porsche dealer, but have not received a reply.

Edited by cmoore1

• 4 years later...

I found an excellent video walk through for the Volkswagon Turag which is a lower quality, but almost exactly the same, version of the Cayenne (S, etc).

It made it so I could replace my battery, as others managed to leave off KEY steps without which you will NOT get your battery changed properly (or you will break your brackets, etc)

He did this very well and informatively

I didn't use a battery maintainer, as I really needed to get my Cayenne S going on the weekend, but you might want to get one, as loosing settings, entering security codes, etc is a pain !

Edited by kovacp1