Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

DME Program Update - Early 996TTs

Reading through TSB 6/01 for the 996 Turbo, there was a new DME program map introduced in October 2001. It says that after engine replacement or repair, the DME program should be updated.

Mine is a very early Turbo (September 2000) and I have checked - it has the old program. Does anyone know the benefits of the later program?

I got in front of me the book "996 the essential companion" and they say about the incorporated change in 2002 : "DME (ECU) 7.8 engine and diagnostic software introduced as standard on all normally aspirated Carrera models. Different version programming required for US OBDII, EU EOBD and RoW/option M150 versions" ( M150 Emission system removed for country without unleaded fuel). So in conclusion it is related to the catalytic converter in use. Because up to 1999 there was 3 different types... There has to be other upgraded function but the list here is very long... I guess you got version 7.2.2 ?

In the book I mention earlier they say that model 2000 had 7.2.2 software and in 2002 it was upgraded to 7.8. And this is what I got on my car which is 2002.... Don't you think your's was already updated ? Do you have the TSB title and number ?

Successfully remapped! It's difficult to say from the very short run I did afterwards, but it seems somehow smoother at low revs and tickover. That might be down to resetting the adaption values, so time will tell if it has made any difference. It's snowing heavily right now, so not a good time to experiment.

While remapping, we chose the EOBD Tiptronic map option (UK car), but I could have chosen EOBD X50 Tiptronic. Any thoughts on what might happen if we had? (Short and long term).

Edit: I just thought I would add this in case it is of use to someone else. After a couple of days driving, albeit at slow speeds, I feel there is a definite improvement. Before the remap, I used to get a slightly annoying fluctuation in revs when at a constant 14-1500rpm. (30mph-ish in 3rd, or about 40mph-ish in 4th). It happened mainly when the engine was cold. The revs would pulse up and down by about 50rpm at a frequency of about 0.25Hz. My thought was it might be at the variocam switching point, but I don't really know. Anyway, the result is that the remap seems to have cured the 'problem'.

Maybe when I'm feeling brave enough I'll try the X50 program.

Edited by Richard Hamilton