Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Time for NEW RUBBER, what to get?

Well, time for my 3rd set of tires on my 04 S (only 33k on the odometer) I'm wondering what every else likes. I have had great luck with Pirelli's so far. They never seem to get out of balance or have any weird vibrations at high speed (yeah, I drive rather 'spirited'). I had the Snow/Ice then Pzero's. Both performed well and drove pretty good up to the end. Should I stick with PZero's or try Goodyears LS2, Michelin HP tour or Contis 4x4?

Thanks for responding

I've had phenomenal success with the Michelin Tour HP's...I run them on 20's (275/40/R20). I believe they have one of the best treadwear ratings in their class at 440. Great performance and great handling! I've had them on the '06 for about 15K now...significant improvement from the Pirelli's I had when I purchased the upgraded wheel package.

All the best,

Bill B)

I've had phenomenal success with the Michelin Tour HP's...I run them on 20's (275/40/R20). I believe they have one of the best treadwear ratings in their class at 440. Great performance and great handling! I've had them on the '06 for about 15K now...significant improvement from the Pirelli's I had when I purchased the upgraded wheel package.

All the best,

Bill B)

My Cayenne S came from the factory with the Contis on 20" wheels. They weren't bad, but they made excessive road noise at roughly 20K miles. They were replaced after 24,000 miles because they were worn. Not bad for a performance tire.

Because of occasional light snow, I switched to a performance all-season tire with the "M+S" rating. I ended up going with the Hankook Ventus tire. I realize it isn't an n-spec tire, but I have been relatively happy. I have about 25,000 miles on them now. They are starting to make some road noise, but the tread is holding up much better than the Continentals.

If you are more interested in performance driving, I'd stick with softer rubber. I've heard good things about the Michilins, and they should last longer than the Pirellis.

All the best,

Bill B)

My Cayenne S came from the factory with the Contis on 20" wheels. They weren't bad, but they made excessive road noise at roughly 20K miles. They were replaced after 24,000 miles because they were worn. Not bad for a performance tire.

Because of occasional light snow, I switched to a performance all-season tire with the "M+S" rating. I ended up going with the Hankook Ventus tire. I realize it isn't an n-spec tire, but I have been relatively happy. I have about 25,000 miles on them now. They are starting to make some road noise, but the tread is holding up much better than the Continentals.

If you are more interested in performance driving, I'd stick with softer rubber. I've heard good things about the Michilins, and they should last longer than the Pirellis.

Performance driving :huh: ...I spent some time researching the Michelin's before I went with them...at $340 per tire, I wanted to make sure I was getting both performance and long life. Never considered the Contis, however, sounds like you did okay with them. My wife's 2008 S came with 255/55 Michelin Tour HP's from the factory.

I drive one of the most intense sections of California highway from my home in Murrieta, to my office in the OC. OnCars.com tested the Cayman S on this highway. Believe me, this is a high performance tire highway...or you're drifting beyond the double yellow lines...check out the video:

Cayman S Ortega Highway

One of the benefits or owning a Porsche in Southern California...I'll enjoy the adrenalin rush at 6am tomorrow morning!

Bill B)

Thanks Bill, I'll look into the Michelin HPs!

Cool video, fixed the link issue (did not work with Chrome however)

Cayman S Ortega Highway

All the best,

Bill B)

Performance driving :huh: ...I spent some time researching the Michelin's before I went with them...at $340 per tire, I wanted to make sure I was getting both performance and long life. Never considered the Contis, however, sounds like you did okay with them. My wife's 2008 S came with 255/55 Michelin Tour HP's from the factory.

I drive one of the most intense sections of California highway from my home in Murrieta, to my office in the OC. OnCars.com tested the Cayman S on this highway. Believe me, this is a high performance tire highway...or you're drifting beyond the double yellow lines...check out the video:

Cayman S Ortega Highway

One of the benefits or owning a Porsche in Southern California...I'll enjoy the adrenalin rush at 6am tomorrow morning!

Bill B)

Thanks Bill, I'll look into the Michelin HPs!

Cool video, fixed the link issue (did not work with Chrome however)

Cayman S Ortega Highway

All the best,

Bill B)

Cayman S Ortega Highway

Bill B)

Cool...you'll be very pleased!

Bill

Bill, at what point do you get on Ortega and how long are you on it? How's the traffic at your time of travel? Looks like a guy could get in a lot of trouble on that kind of road! :drive:

I Have the Toyo Proxies S/T (2's?) (20's) and really like them.

1. cheap

2. great tread for rain and dry

3. no noise

4 cheap.

Edited by C.Plavan

Bill, at what point do you get on Ortega and how long are you on it? How's the traffic at your time of travel? Looks like a guy could get in a lot of trouble on that kind of road! :drive:

I Have the Toyo Proxies S/T (2's?) (20's) and really like them.

1. cheap

2. great tread for rain and dry

3. no noise

4 cheap.

Thanks for the info!

How many miles have you put on the Toyos? I bought some Falkens for the wifes car and they were good at first, but after about 20K miles, they started to go out of balance often and their wet traction got really bad. I had to dump them after about 30K, replaced with a set of Goodyear Touring, much better tires!

The Ortega originates four miles from the Pacific Ocean near Mission San Juan Capistrano. It stretches 32 miles over the Santa Ana Mountains to Lake Elsinore in Riverside County. I take the road each day from the origination point in Lake Elsinore, to Antonio Parkway, which leads into Irvine. I would say I have the gnarly 25 miles of the road. At the halfway point between Riverside County and Orange County lines, there is then seventeen miles to the ocean...the intense curves start to straighten out about twenty miles into my commute. I'm on the road for about 45-50 minutes, and then I have another fifteen or so to get to my office.

As much as I hate to admit this, my wife made me put the car cover on my Boxster and start driving the Cayenne through the mountains. I would make it home just a little bit too quickly some days if you know what I mean... :P There are many fatalities on this road, and between the Boxster and my Cayenne, the Cayenne won out for the commute when it came to weighing out an accident. I really have a blast in the Cayenne too...it can hold its own. My tiptronic gets a severe workout each day. I do my best to run the road without brakes (just downshifting). On the weekends this section of highway is filled with motorcycle enthusiasts and high performance cars.

This section of road cuts off quite a bit of time for me (half-hour)...otherwise I'm on the freeway for about 1.5 hours each way to get to my office.

To add a bit more about tires, I work with Discount/Americas tires for all my tire needs. Not sure if you have one near you. Those guys are great about pointing out the pros and cons of the different tires and what they see come through the shop. One important consideration is the weight of the Cayenne's...not the lightest SUV.

All the best,

Bill B)

• 2 weeks later...

I too have an 04 S, mine with 50,750 miles, and will be replacing tires within the next 500 or so. Just to add to the discussion, the Continental 4x4 Sport Contacts I'm replacing were marvelous at first but wore out after only 11k. At $370 a tire w/ road protection, that's pretty steep. Based on what I've read here and elsewhere I think I'll give the Michelin Latitude Tour HP a go.

Yeah, I am leaning towards either the Michelin Latitude Tour HP or sticking with the Pirelli PZero Scorpion in 19inch. Got side-tracked as our Washing machine broke so I had to research what's available. MAN, lots of choices! Wifey wants Electrolux, you seen the Kelli Ripa commercials? About $1,600 :o for the one she wants. Whaddaya gonna do? I like the Samsung one WF448AAP.

• 10 months later...
I run yokohama prada spec-x on 20's - they are awsome driving/handling - even great when I tow a 22 foot boat!

I've been thinking about the Spec-x's too. Did you go with 275/40? I've been pondering the 45's for daily driving.

You might try looking at the Bridgestones. I cant remember the exact tire (Dueler HP?) but they make a N0 spec for the cayenne 275/40/20 and they may make one for 19's as well. We tried the Michelins and they perfomed great but had high niose towrd the end and where toast at 15K. Then tried the Bridgestones and have been really happy. Got 37k out of that set and didn't even consider anything else when replaced em. Especialy at only $214 a tire from Tire Rack! I swear by these tires. Good luck!

Regards,

Scott