Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Removing side intakes and interior trim pieces

Hi Everyone

Well i''m new here pretty much and am from the UK..

I have a few questions.

i'm wanting to change some interior parts out for carbon pieces or i might even paint them up like i have seen in some other posts..

I was wondering is there a sticky thread that tells you how to remove all the interior parts as i find i'm searching for stuff and get lots of threads about removing diff pieces.. Loren you seam to be the person in the Know about removing stuff and Porsche in general, I was wondering if you could do a thread that has the removal diagrams for common interior parts that get removed to spray or change.. this might make doing interior mod's a hell of allot easyier for everyone... just a thought!!!

I'm wanting to take off the side sill plasic bits, the parts that have the boot and bonnet release and the storage bin.. I have found that scuffs from my feet have not only marked them but have taken off some of the coating that seams to cover all the plastic parts... this makes them look pretty shabby at the moment and I was thinking some nice carbon replacments would go well... I was looking at how they are held on and had a little fiddle about but i'm really not wanting to break anything at this point untill i'm sure it can be done ok...can you help with a diagram for this at all??

the other question is how do i remove the outside intakes on a TT again to replace them with carbon ones and also so I can get into the top of the rear arch, I have a small dent i want to get taken out by a dentmaster but dont want him to stick his dent poker up the rear arch for fear of chipping paint and starting rust off..

Any help on this matter will be greatfully recieved..

could you let me know if there is a thread that details removing and painting the interior pieces?

Thanks in advance..

A

:welcome:

First of all, it really helps to put the model and MY (model year) of your car on the post because there are so many variables.

My car being a MY2000 has the silver handles (mechanical) to open the bonnet and the boot. Later models went electrical. There is a DIY thread here that covers removing the part that you seem to be talking about:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7067

This part comes in different versions, depending on whether you have memory seats and of course if you have electrical release or mechanical. Of course I assume your car is RHD so you have to think 'mirror image' ;)

Just FYI, there is a diagram on this page that shows all the different parts and part numbers:

http://www.autoatlanta.com/model/996-99-05/807-03.htm

At least in the US Porsche™ only sells the whole unit, #9 in the diagram, and it's pretty pricey. I had to hunt a lot to find just one handle. It's not a hard DIY, as long as you have the right tool to loosen the M6 x 25 hexagon socket head bolts.

Anyway, welcome,

Alex

Hi thanks..

My car is an 03 with electric releases and its got the sports seats so there not memory seats..

why does porsche cover there plastic in a coating that just comes off : ( it makes scuffing and small marks even worse when it takes off the coating)

Thanks for the links..

any info on removing the side intakes would also be a great help?

Thanks

A

Edited by atomicveilside

• Admin
Hi Everyone

Well i''m new here pretty much and am from the UK..

I have a few questions.

i'm wanting to change some interior parts out for carbon pieces or i might even paint them up like i have seen in some other posts..

I was wondering is there a sticky thread that tells you how to remove all the interior parts as i find i'm searching for stuff and get lots of threads about removing diff pieces.. Loren you seam to be the person in the Know about removing stuff and Porsche in general, I was wondering if you could do a thread that has the removal diagrams for common interior parts that get removed to spray or change.. this might make doing interior mod's a hell of allot easyier for everyone... just a thought!!!

I'm wanting to take off the side sill plasic bits, the parts that have the boot and bonnet release and the storage bin.. I have found that scuffs from my feet have not only marked them but have taken off some of the coating that seams to cover all the plastic parts... this makes them look pretty shabby at the moment and I was thinking some nice carbon replacments would go well... I was looking at how they are held on and had a little fiddle about but i'm really not wanting to break anything at this point untill i'm sure it can be done ok...can you help with a diagram for this at all??

the other question is how do i remove the outside intakes on a TT again to replace them with carbon ones and also so I can get into the top of the rear arch, I have a small dent i want to get taken out by a dentmaster but dont want him to stick his dent poker up the rear arch for fear of chipping paint and starting rust off..

Any help on this matter will be greatfully recieved..

could you let me know if there is a thread that details removing and painting the interior pieces?

Thanks in advance..

A

Please give our Search a try...

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...st&p=101074

A:

The whole 996 series bonnet/boot design leaves a lot to be desired! I had a 1990 C2 (964) with the sensible engine compartment release on the door near the latch and the usual bonnet release. You're lucky you don't have the silver handles, give Porsche™ some credit for redesigning those! Do remember the emergency bonnet opening procedure because if the battery goes dead you can't access the battery with electric releases.

TIP: You can download a PDF manual from the 'Documents' menu. I find the PDF files so much easier to use since you can just use search to find what you need.

Where in Blighty R U?

Alex

Thanks loren your a star... I tried the search and it didnt seam to bring that thread up.. strange as it's allmost identical to my post :o i'm trying to find the post that has info on spraying the interior parts and i cant find it...dam knew i should have saved the link...

sorry about that but thanks aswell.

Alex I'm from up in cold scotland Edinburgh.. just been out to get some stuff from them shops and it's very icy out there.. did nothing but spin the wheels :P

ye i have read that it's a nightmare if the bat goes flat but the manual goes through it all.. nice touch being electric but like you say a nightmare if your caught out...

it's an 03 996TT black with aero kit front splitter or snow plow atm :D rear spoiler black leather with red seat belts.. also running 997 19inch wheels they really update the car and a few people have said,,, o nice 997,, i have to smile and say to my regret no it's a 996...

I dont want to dis the uk forum and i'm not going to say what one but they are bunch of ahem's on there.. and then wonder why Porsche drivers in the uk get a bad name... and they dont seam to know that much about the cars anyway..

I love this forum it's great and i tip my hat and say thank you to all involved esp loren..

I must say i'm a bit scared to try and remove the intake for fear of damaging my paint but i'll get a wedge from some were and give it a go...

So any ideas on why Porsche coat there plastic with some sort of rubber? i guess to make it look better.. I'v only had the car for 3 months 30.000 on the clock.. the plastic bits by the sill were fine when i got but some careless kicks from my trainers has marked and removed some of the coating :angry: I'm pretty annoyed at myself for damaging it but i guess there is nothing i can do and it's not going to stay imaculate i guess, it's for driving after all..

i'm looking at the carbon bits from design911 uk the side sill bit are £200 each side :o and i'm looking at doing the bin lids and odment lid in carbon aswell.. around a grand in total... gulp i'm gonna have to save some penny's me thinks... or i might try and spray them if i can find that thread... i want to know if i'v got to sand off that coating before spraying i'm guessing so...

anyway i'm off to try the search engine again..

thanks again.

Jo

ps sorry for my crap spelling and punctuation dam dyslexia...

Edited by atomicveilside