Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hood/Trunk Latch Release Removal/Install

• Admin

Hood/Trunk Latch Release Removal/Install

Note: Part numbers sometimes change without notice. Always double check with your supplier that you have the latest part numbers. (photos courtesy of Steven Gliksman) Tools you will need: Torx T20 driver Small narrow regular screwdriver Plastic Spatula (or butter knife) 4 mm and 6 mm hex allen socket or 4 mm and 5 mm allen wrench Disassembling the release for front/rear lids Undo hexagon socket head bolts - Remove the plastic plugs and loosen (but do not remo

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is it possible to obtain just the lever, and not the entire assembly? My painted plastic part is scratched/damaged, and I'd like to replace it, but my dealer only sells the entire assembly (large dark plastic housing, with both levers already attached). If the car has the memory seat option, the whole assembly sells for almost $500 and you can't get the levers separately. Any ideas? Thanks!

• Admin

I don't think you have a choice - I've heard they don't sell the silver mechanism anymore only the black Boxster version. I think that is why folks take them off and paint them themselves. When mine get scratched enough I will likely just paint them too.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for this post, it was very helpful!

My '99 C4 was a little different... I did not have any Torx screws. The three bolts holding the whole assembly down were 5 mm, and the bowden cable bolts were 3 mm. Both were allen-head cap screws.

By the way, the part number for the front hood lever is:

I bought it on eBay, but I'm sure you can have your dealer order it. It's about $100. Here's a picture:

post-7082-1149958768_thumb.jpg

It looks awesome once again!! Thanks!

post-7082-1149958804_thumb.jpg

• 8 months later...
Well here in the UK you can still buy the levers separately. Bought a luggage lever last week and (thanks Loren) just finished fitting it. Part No. 996 551 511 08 - but of course that is a RH drive lever!

Just read your post, nearly a year on, I am looking to replace my levers, I too am in the UK, where

can I buy them from

Regards

Phil

I don't Porsche makes them available for US dealers stock anymore (that was the last I heard).

You might get lucky and find a dealer with some still in stock or get a dealer to order from Europe.

I am tempted to remove them and have the resprayed, my only concern is, I dont want to spray over the logos on the levers, does

anyone know the paint code for this silver?

Regards

Well here in the UK you can still buy the levers separately. Bought a luggage lever last week and (thanks Loren) just finished fitting it. Part No. 996 551 511 08 - but of course that is a RH drive lever!

Just read your post, nearly a year on, I am looking to replace my levers, I too am in the UK, where

can I buy them from

Regards

Phil

Design 911 definitely have them http://www.design911.co.uk , but probably a good idea to try Porsch-Apart first http://www.porsch-apart.co.uk/

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I don't Porsche makes them available for US dealers stock anymore (that was the last I heard).

You might get lucky and find a dealer with some still in stock or get a dealer to order from Europe.

I am tempted to remove them and have the resprayed, my only concern is, I dont want to spray over the logos on the levers, does

anyone know the paint code for this silver?

Regards

I would like to do the same! Paint codes anybody?

A late update for anyone completing this DIY on a 2000 Cab:

It went just as described by Loren with the following exceptions on my car:

1. Disassembly Step 1: "Undo hexagon socket head bolts". Mine required a 4mm allen wrench.

2. Disassembly Step 3: "Release the Bowden cables". My cable retaining bolt required a 3mm allen wrench.

Other than that, all went well. Thanks for a great site.

• 8 months later...

I've been trying to loosen the three allen head bolts holding the sill in place.

I removed the plastic caps, and pulled the carper out of the way so I can at least see what appears to be the forward allen head bolt.

How in the world can I tell if I have the allen wrench on the forward bolt? Also how were you able to get to the middle and rear bolts as I can't even see them thorugh the holes

in the sill since there is no room between the seat and the sill. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

A late update for anyone completing this DIY on a 2000 Cab:

It went just as described by Loren with the following exceptions on my car:

1. Disassembly Step 1: "Undo hexagon socket head bolts". Mine required a 4mm allen wrench.

2. Disassembly Step 3: "Release the Bowden cables". My cable retaining bolt required a 3mm allen wrench.

Other than that, all went well. Thanks for a great site.

• Moderators

Unless you have just the right length allen it is hard to get to the allen bolts with the seat in place. Also hard to see them.

When we did it the seat was out. I would suggest you unbolt the seat, and perhaps you can move it around without having to remove it from the car. Once the seat is not blocking your view it is easy to loosen the allen bolts.

There seems to be a dispute if it is a 4 or 5mm allen. It has been a few years since I did this. I think it was a 5mm.

post-4-1201714266_thumb.jpg

Hmmm - I guess the re-paint will have to wait until I have another reason to remove the seat.

Thanks for the feedback!

Unless you have just the right length allen it is hard to get to the allen bolts with the seat in place. Also hard to see them.

When we did it the seat was out. I would suggest you unbolt the seat, and perhaps you can move it around without having to remove it from the car. Once the seat is not blocking your view it is easy to loosen the allen bolts.

There seems to be a dispute if it is a 4 or 5mm allen. It has been a few years since I did this. I think it was a 5mm.

Hmmm - I guess the re-paint will have to wait until I have another reason to remove the seat.

Thanks for the feedback!

You can get to these Allen bolts (honest, I've just had to do it myself after my battery went flat and I could not get to the engine to jump start the car) without removing the seat. Move the seat back and forth / up and down to gain access to each one. You then use the long end of a 5mm Allen key, at a slight angle. Undo the bolts three turns and then carefully prise up the mechanism.

Good luck.

• 3 months later...

I just removed these bolts without removing my seat. It's a 5mm allen wrench for my 02 4S. Pull the plugs out slowly so you don't lose them and then insert the long end of the wrench into the hole. You have to stick the wrench in at least an inch before it engages the bolt. You don't have to remove the bolt completely, just loosen it. I removed mine completely and they fell down into a spot that was hard to retreive them.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just replaced the front trunk lever. No need to paint the old one, I just Googled and found the handle at:

Performance Cars Marketplace

it cost me $112.72. Part # 996 551 511 07

Getting the bowden cables off was the biggest nuisance but I certainly could not have completed this project without DFC and Loren's great posts. It looks really good.

Alex