Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I just got a killer deal (20% off sale...)

I picked up a pair of side skirts at the Performance Products 40th. anniversary sale (Coupon code# 4P14B11). . . Out the door with shipping $658.52

1. What is a fair price to get them painted / installed for?

2. My 99' is Artic Silver, Does the body/paint shop need to purchase both teh 92U & 92T paints, or are they the same thing, just with differnet part numbers?

Paul

*The only thing I have left to do for mods is clear taillights and painted bumperetts... Then I will be set! :clapping:

• Admin
1. What is a fair price to get them painted / installed for?

2. My 99' is Artic Silver, Does the body/paint shop need to purchase both teh 92U & 92T paints, or are they the same thing, just with differnet part numbers?

1. Make sure you find someone that knows how to paint plastics and will get the sideskirt tight on the body panel.

2. Your paint is likely 92U, which is water based paint (92T is conventional oil base). Just check the option sticker under the front hood or in your owners manual.

I think I paid $250 a skirt for paint and install (500 total). BTW, not to rain on your parade, but 658 is not a killer deal. Brandywine and others have been selling them for 599 or less for some time now. Nonetheless, at least you didn't overpay. I am sure you can get a good deal if you get the skirts AND bumparettes done at the same time. I paid about 125 for the bumparettes a few months before I did the skirts.

The skirts and painted bumparettes will change the look dramatically on your car. I couldn't beleive it till I picked up the car from the body shop.

Did you get the front spoiler (GT3) as well to complement the skirts?

I called Performance Products and they are going to try and match the Brandy wine price... Brandy Wine has them for $599 + $30 S/H = $629

A difference of around $30 (Good news is PP ships from Los Angeles, so my wait time is considerably less.)

Thanks for all your advise guys,

Paul

Great idea, but I'll have to wait on the front bumper... Too rich for my blood right now.

If you check out my garage, you'll see I have in a short period of time added a number of fun lil' mods. (It seems to add up quick)

Paul

I got my skirts today! Wow that was fast... Big black rubber (urethane) looking things not fiberglass... unfortunately, they came with no mounting instructions, no hardware (screws) nor glue . . . I have a call into customer service to see what's up. I'll keep you posted as to my progress... :unsure:

Paul

I spoke with Art in customer service @ PP and he is going to rustle me up some instructions, mounting clips/screws. The manufacturer stated that there is no glue and to use the double stick tape that is already attached to the skirt instead.

Yes and no. Use the double sided tape that is already on there but it needs to have time to adhere properly. THe good news is that is DOES NOT have to been a totally flush fit (there may a few places where there is a mm or 2 of space between the car and the skirt). There are drains under the skirt where water escaped so no need to worry about water being trapped.

Now on to your skirts. Did they come in Porsche Boxes? Do the have 996 part numbers on each? You SHOULD have gotten a baggie of clips AND screws in each box for installation!

FYI: this is what comes in each box w/ each skirt in Aero Kit Type II

2x small part set (00004480165)

Or in Aero Type I:

22 Countersunk sheetmetal screw, 4.8 x 13

16 U-clip n/a

2 Sheetmetal nut; St 4.8

Edited by LVDell

Hi all,

New here but not to the renn community...

Just wanted to mention that I broke one of my Aero skirts a while back and purchased a replacement. . .

Later before installing the new one I changed my mind and changed the entire kit out to the Aero kit II....

I have the set of skirts still here from the Aero kit 1 if any one is in need. One is new never installed and the other is PORSCHE black. I may have a buyer for the wing already but I'm still waiting on a payment "who knows"....

Sorry for the pitch but I thought I could save some lucky camper a few ends.....

Los Angeles, CA

-Eli :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the clips on Monday & took them along with the skirts to the Porsche's recommended body shop here in San Diego.

When I showed him the after market performance product skirts, he was disappointed. They were heavier, & would need to be glued for sure because the dobla stick tape would not hold. He then pointed out to me a bunch of minor imperfections (pitting & chafing) and inconsistencies (rough edges) that he said while they were fixable, they looked like a pain to install and may run me more on the install.

When I told him that I still may be able to return them to PP and get the OEM Porsche version rom Brandy Wine Porsche for almost the same price, he was much happier and felt safer with guaranteeing the job.

So, I hopefully will have them installed by next weekend and will update My garage soon. . . Kudos to Performance Products, cuz they were great about the refund! & more kudos to the body shop for the informative lesson...

Paul