Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Are there any model year 986s with more probs than others?

I wouldn't worry as much about the model year but more about the individual Boxster you find. Have a credible Pre Purchase Inspection from someone not related to the seller. No matter what model year you get though, they are expensive to repair (especially in Canada) no matter what the problem but they sure are fun to drive. I would agree with Loren about finding a post 2000 model if you can afford that.

A few annoyances that can't be easily retrofited: no glove box on my 2002, I think that started in 2003; I wish I bought an S for the added HP; plastic rear window on my 2002, I think glass started in 2003(?).

I researched boxsters to see which are most reliable and least likely to have repair issues and found that the 1999 and 2003 boxsters are the most reliable, I did this research in October 08. One of the sites where I found what I think is excellent unbiased info was at www.consumerreports.org, if anyone knows of other sites for unbiased car ratings please post. But as stated earlier each individual boxster should be carefully inspected and evaluated. I also found that reading the car computer for engine abuse is a good idea, you dont want an abused engine, a good tool that I bought after buying my car to look at the codes if any, and to check the engine is the Durametric Diagnostic Tool. You can read about the Durametric here at renntech on some other threads. Good Luck.

986Wheelz

Read up on the PCA website as well as here on RennTech. I sold my '82 911 to jump headfirst into a boxster and found that there is quite a bit one should know ahead of time. There's a manufacture date range PRIOR to '99 that will reduce risks of engine probs, then after 2003 I think they get to be a lot better. I bought mine knowing it needed some lifters to be replaced, and once fixed, the car has proven to be awesome. The newer you buy, the more ponies you'll aquire too.

Couldn't be happier with '02 S showing 15k miles. The 3.2 has the double bearing sleeve on the IMS as opposd to the single bearing of the earlier models. Oil change history is important on these cars, as the extended changes caused damage to some engines.

Read this article for some facts: http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

Get PPI done and insist on maintenance records.

Edited by jmatta

I researched boxsters to see which are most reliable and least likely to have repair issues and found that the 1999 and 2003 boxsters are the most reliable, I did this research in October 08. One of the sites where I found what I think is excellent unbiased info was at www.consumerreports.org, if anyone knows of other sites for unbiased car ratings please post. But as stated earlier each individual boxster should be carefully inspected and evaluated. I also found that reading the car computer for engine abuse is a good idea, you dont want an abused engine, a good tool that I bought after buying my car to look at the codes if any, and to check the engine is the Durametric Diagnostic Tool. You can read about the Durametric here at renntech on some other threads. Good Luck.

986Wheelz

Consumer reports has poor reporting of specific model years; there simply isn't enough sample size to show any real trends. I mean, they tend to go GREAT GREAT OMGCRAP GREAT on certain components that didn't even change between those model years. So, I wouldn't put too much faith in consumer reports for Porsches; or any other reporting system for that matter; there simply aren't enough of them on the road and reporting that data back for the reports to be useful. Anecdotal evidence is even worse; one guy's engine exploding doesn't mean that model year is more prone to engines exploding than any other model year.

Generally speaking, the newer the car, the better it is. Porsche found and fixed more and more problems and steadily improved the design as time went on.

Excellence does an excellent article on this every year; I'd highly recommend tracking the most recent one down.

Edited by grover