Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Glass Window Adjusment

Got my '99 base Boxster out of storage last month and have ben dealing with a dying/dead top motor. In driving around with the top up I've experiences a significant wind leak around the driver's side window. I have read a number of posts regarding window issues, I believe mine dates back to a poor asembly by an auto body shop who did work after I was backed into... my question is how to shift the window towards the rear of the car. I've read Maurice's posts on the Carrera forum, but am uncertain as to weather they apply to my 99 Box. Here is the passanger's window where clearances seem nomal +

DSC_9150.jpg

And here is the driver's side... air (and water) can get in where circled +

DSC_9151.jpg

Any help would be appreciated! I already have experience in removing the door panel...

Got my '99 base Boxster out of storage last month and have ben dealing with a dying/dead top motor. In driving around with the top up I've experiences a significant wind leak around the driver's side window. I have read a number of posts regarding window issues, I believe mine dates back to a poor asembly by an auto body shop who did work after I was backed into... my question is how to shift the window towards the rear of the car. I've read Maurice's posts on the Carrera forum, but am uncertain as to weather they apply to my 99 Box. Here is the passanger's window where clearances seem nomal +

DSC_9150.jpg

And here is the driver's side... air (and water) can get in where circled +

DSC_9151.jpg

Any help would be appreciated! I already have experience in removing the door panel...

openwater:

From the photos that you have posted, it looks like it should be straightforward to correct. The only thing that the photo of the bad window does not show is whether that window's gap where it meets the top near the front of the window is correct.

It's a good thing that you have experience removing the door panel, as that will be necessary. The window regulators and their adjustments are very similar between the Boxsters and 911's.

Once you remove the door panel, locate the two clamping jaws that hold the bottom edge of the window (one towards the front of the window, and the other towards the rear of the window).

Measure the difference between the two gaps that you have shown in your photos, and that will be the ballpark figure that you have to shift the window glass towards the rear after you have loosened the clamps.

If you are lucky, you may actually see the outline of where the window was originally squeezed by the clamps, as there is usually a fair amount of dirt along the outline. If that's the case, start with that location and see if it ends up exactly the same as the good window when you close the window. If not, when you loosen the clamps, slide the window back slightly by the same amount that you measured as the difference between your "good" gap and your "bad" gap.

BE VERY CAREFUL not to overtighten those clamps, as doing so will shatter the glass. I don't have the torque spec handy, but I would say just a little more than handtight will do it. If you are not sure, start with that and see if you can pull the window up out of the clamps by pulling up on the glass with your hands. If it doesn't shift, it's tight enough.

One other note: Don't put the key in the ignition or operate the windows without everything buttoned up unless you have access to a Durametric, PST2 or PIWIS to reset the airbag light.

If the gap at the very top horizontal surface of the window is not correct, post again and we'll deal with that also, as that will involve adjusting the height of the window by turning the torx screws provided for that purpose.

One last note. It's also possible that you may have to shift the legs of the regulator inboard by a very tiny amount, but that can be done after the door is all back together. This will only be necessary if you find that the top edge of the window is too far inboard into the gasket. Shifting the legs of the regulator inboard will cause the top edge of the window to move in an outboard direction.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir