Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Camshaft Position Sensor Cayenne Turbo

Hi all,

I am a long time Porsche owner and am new to this forum. I recently sold my Audi s8 for a 2004 Cayenne Turbo (silver) not too long ago and I have been really enjoying it! I even took it up to Tahoe a couple of weeks ago in the snow. Actually it was a scary experience... :o Next time I am going to get some snow tires!!!

Now, I finally have my first check engine light experience and I performed a scan and pulled code p0340, which is camshaft position sensor error. I'll bring it to the shop next week, but thought I would see if anyone here has done this repair; is it easy to do it yourself or if not, has anybody had this repair done at the shop and what were the charges/fixes?

Thanks and look forward to contributing to the forum!

I've seen this fault a few times and every time its been the sensor itself. If that is the case the sensor is fairly cheap though it is a bit tricky to get to. There is one sensor for each intake camshaft on the back of each cylinder head, near the bulkhead. If you have some tools you could probably do the repair yourself.

OK, so i brought it in to the shop today and mechanic ran a scan but came up with a different code P0304 - cylinder #4 misfire. He told me I don't need the sensor.

This is weird because my scanner had pulled P0344.

He erased the code and as soon as I drove away the CEL is back on again. I got home and did a scan and got P0343 - Camshaft position sensor circuit high input.

So, either he missed a number on the scanner or my scanner is wrong. This sounds weird. Can different scanners (OBD2 CAN) pull a different codes and do they give wrong codes?

:unsure:

Any ideas?

I've had ODB II scanners give false code number/descriptions when readings codes using a global OBD II scan tool instead of vehicle specific scan tool. Any idea what type of scanner the tech used to pull the codes??

No idea what kind of scanner he used but it was probably better than my $150 Kragan.

He is not a Porsche shop but Audi/VW but he is a great and is extremely talented.

I guess I have to go to the dealer to find out now..... But they charge $180 an hour and are not very friendly :angry:

Car drives fine and I even installed a sprint booster yesterday. Maybe I should forget about it and trust that he is right.

• 1 month later...

To update this thread. Mechanic mixed the code or purposely gave me the wrong code because he really did not want to do the job. I brought the car to another mechanic and he pulled the same code I did - camshaft sensor. I had them replace with a sensor I provided. Cost $260 (2 hours) and part was $90.

But the scan and diagnosis from the first mechnic was $100 plus time and hassle to drive out of town and cab to and fro ($50). I am pissed that I paid for a diagnosis I knew was wrong, but I guess that's one way for him to lose a long-term client and referals.