Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Spark Plug Coils

1999 Boxster, 30300 miles, tipronic trans

Does anyone have any advice or required replacement info for spark plug coils?

I have read many posts regarding spark plugs - but very little on coil replacement.

Years? Mileage? A local mechanic quoted two hours labor for changing the plugs at

US $90 an hour. He opened his mouth and made two mistakes. "You should replace the

coils." He then asked, "How many miles on the car?" I told him. He then said, "You don't

have to change the plugs until 60,000 miles. Nice price, nice guy - wrong answers.

Thanks for your help

Bob

• Admin

Look for cracked coils or bad corrosion.

They can be tested as follows:

Check the resistance across pins 1 and 15 (black wire and green wire w/stripe -- not brown).

Resistance should be 0.3 to 0.7 ohms at 20 degrees C.

If they all look badly corroded I would replace them all. But if most look and test good - I would just replace any that test bad.

The service interval on the plugs on a 99 is actually 30k. Its only 60k on the 2001 and newer cars. And as Loren mentioned I wouldn't bother replacing any coils unless they were badly corroded or cracked.

One of our test cars has 38K on the clock.. During testing of the new 2.9 engine we found 2 of the 6 coils bad under heavy load.. Our other test car has 78K on it and it has had 3 coils replaced in the past 18 moths I have been using it for development work.

You can change all 6 in less than an hour with a 5mm hex...

Jake -have you seen a flaky coil trip P1123 ? I am chasing an intermittent on a 99.

Dave

P1123 is likely a bad MAF or air purge valve or air leak problem. Please do a search P1123 has been covered here many many many times.

Loren -thank you for the reply .I have done a search and read /tried all the obvious things .What has me stumped is that it is really intermittent .For example the car will go 200 miles and set off P 1123 and at other times 75 miles or less .Right now I am north of 225 miles and the tra value is -.17 -I believe it trips at +/- .32 .My logic was a flaky coil could possibly set it off.Maybe it's a dumb question but it kinda seemed logical .

Dave

• Admin
Jake -have you seen a flaky coil trip P1123 ? I am chasing an intermittent on a 99.

Dave

P1123 is likely a bad MAF or air purge valve or air leak problem. Please do a search P1123 has been covered here many many many times.

Loren -thank you for the reply .I have done a search and read /tried all the obvious things .What has me stumped is that it is really intermittent .For example the car will go 200 miles and set off P 1123 and at other times 75 miles or less .Right now I am north of 225 miles and the tra value is -.17 -I believe it trips at +/- .32 .My logic was a flaky coil could possibly set it off.Maybe it's a dumb question but it kinda seemed logical .

Dave

A bad coil pack would cause a fault on that one specific cylinder (i.e P0304 - misfire cylinder 4).

Have you tried a new MAF or cleaning the one you have?

Have you looked for air leaks? Any other fault codes?

Dave

Dave

A bad coil pack would cause a fault on that one specific cylinder (i.e P0304 - misfire cylinder 4).

Cleaned MAF twice-couldn't find any air leaks-tried oil cap off test from shop manual and was ok .No other fault codes .

• Admin

Dave

Dave

Cleaned MAF twice-couldn't find any air leaks-tried oil cap off test from shop manual and was ok .No other fault codes .

What is your air mass flow reading at idle and no-load 2500RPM?

Dave

Dave

15.50 and 47.50

• Admin

Dave

Dave

15.50 and 47.50

Well, it would appear your MAF is functioning within limits.

Unless you have a charcoal canister purge valve problem you have an air leak.

Dave

Dave

15.50 and 47.50

Well, it would appear your MAF is functioning within limits.

Unless you have a charcoal canister purge valve problem you have an air leak.

I will circle back on the purge valve and air leaks ..Thanks for the help