Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Annual Service Necessity and Cost

My Porsche service rep contacted me for an annual service appointment. The car has 8,600 miles on it. He suggests the Low Mileage Annual oil change/check up at $489 plus flushing the brake fluid $310, which he says is required every two years.

Obviously the Porsche service costs are ridiculous but that aside, what is everyone’s opinion of the necessity of annual low mileage service and flushing the brake fluid every two years? I have always changed the oil at least every year (is that even necessary with synthetic oil) but I have never flushed the brake fluid of any of the previous 911s I have ever owned, never mind every two years. Perhaps the current brake fluid being used is different for the Turbo than it is for the Carrera?

The service reps explanation for changing the brake fuild is that the high temp racing brake fluid that is used has a tendency to build up moisture that can damage the brake calipers if not changed on a two year basis.

TIA

Edited by Ed NY

The 2 year brake fluid change interval and yearly oil change is just preventative maint. What color is your brake fluid - if it looks like new and uncontaminated, you are probably ok to not change it. I believe there is a tester than can actual test brake fluid for moisture/contamination if you're interested...

How long did you own your previous 911's and never flushed the brake fluid? At the very least you'd want to do it if it starts to look dirty/contaminated. The brake system is closed one so unless there is a leak or something, moisture and dirt is going to have a tough time getting in.

I go ahead and flush my brake fluid every year, even if it looks clean/uncontaminated, and change the oil every 5k miles but I drive it more than you :)

Ed, you should continue to do your yearly oil changes. Good/cheap insurance.

I also agree that the brake fluid should be changed every 2-years as Porsche recommends. The price you were quoted seems high, but, then again you are in New York.

Lastly, having good/excellent maintenance records will help you in the future when you go to sell the car to another buyer in a private sale environment.

You could go to a good independent and have the same service done. It will cost you less $ and still keep you in good standing with your warranty. Just make sure you use approved fluids (and of course keep your service receipts.)

Edited by phillipj

You could go to a good independent and have the same service done. It will cost you less $ and still keep you in good standing with your warranty. Just make sure you use approved fluids (and of course keep your service receipts.)

Thanks for the replys, guys.

BTW, changing your own brake fluid is soooooo easy. I read about it on here and it took about 1.5 hours beginning to end. Had a friend pump the brakes. Next time it'll be faster. Saved money and I feel more comfortable with the Porsche.

Why are you taking it to the dealer?!?!?

THe term "low mileage annual oil change/check up" is a smoke screen designed to suck $489 out of your pocket for an oil change and a bunch of BS 'check this and check that'... where they actually don't check a thing.

I agree with annual oil and brake flush every two.

But find someone else to do the work.

GL

A

Unfortunately, Ard is right. Porsche depends upon a major part of covering its salaries and operating costs with the service department. So many of the so called scheduled or even the mileage thresholds are designed to get you into the service departments for some really rediculous tasks.....take a look at the list of things to be covered......"examine belts, inspect fluid levels, etc etc etc.

The major tasks at the 30, 60 and 90K mileage levels are the replacements of designated filters, oil, brake fluid, coolant, transmission fluid, spark plugs, and a dump of the DME looking for engine faults that occured during the period since the last dump...or perhaps the entire history. The rest of that impressive list is really the sort of thing covered by ...."inspect this...examine that....check this....etc".

Most of these services carry a price tag of $1000-1500 or more....for tasks that a respectable independent mechanic could cover for substantially less. The problem becomes one of fear that Porsche wont' honor warranties if they're not performed at the high cost facilities. Well documented service by a respectable independent will satisfy the warranty requirements and keep it safe. It's the "mechanical mystique" that keeps the masses lined up at the Porsche service center paying $160 an hour for what are sometimes unnecessary or menial tasks.

• Upvote 1