Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Little Help? Purchasing my 1st Porsche

Hey Great Site!

Looking to purchase my 1st Porsche and am hoping to get a little help and have some questions.

Is it correct that the last 4 numbers of a vin are the Sequential Production numbers?

Does this mean it indicates the car number within a given year and model? i.e. 0592 is the 592nd car off the line of xxx number produced.

Can someone direct me to where I can find out more detail about how many 997's have been produced and breaking down the models, colors and options within a given year? I am hoping to get a very early 2005 or late 2007 Gen1.

Any help is much appreciated, glad i found this site.

1) Make sure you get a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection)

2) Buy the 2007 vs the 2005 IMHO (I don't like to buy the first year of a model change)

3) Here is how to read the VIN: http://www.autohausaz.com/porsche-auto-par...on-numbers.html

4) 12th - 17th Character: The 12th through the 17th character in your Porsche's VIN indicate the sequence of the vehicle for production as it rolled off the manufacturer's assembly line. The last four characters are always numeric.

post-1-1239893052_thumb.png

Loren thanks.

I have been contemplating either a 05 or 06 and have not really heard of the difference on either the base or the S version. Are there any watchouts for either model?

As for the PPI it will probably be through a CPO dealer so the PPI may be difficult thing to navigate.

Lastly, so does the serial number then translate to the car number produced within a model year or series or both?.....or neither. Looking just to understand that if the last four are say 0125 that it means it was the 125th Carrera S produced in that given year?

Thanks again

My Carrera S is a MY2005 and my friend has a MY2008 Carrera S and they are identical in all aspects. My car has 30,000 km on it and it runs just fine. So from my experience there's no problem with the first year of the 997-1 model.

The 2006 + has the new engine design. The 2005 is basically the same design (IMS etc.) as the 996 3.6. In addition 2005 was supposed to be Porsche's worst engine build year ever (information from RFM.)

Go with the 2006 if you can afford it.

Here is a link from today regarding potential problems with the 05 engines..

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...c=26215&hl=

Edited by phillipj