Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brake Pads and Rotors on a 996

So I was crusiing around enjoying the weather when I got a brake wear indicator light. I took a look and the front pads were worn but the rear pads are okay. I talked to some guys at a shop and wanted them to order new front pads. They told me that they usually machine the rotors but since my rotors are cross drilled internally vented that I would need to replace them since they cant resurface them....kinda odd I thought. The guy suggested I just get the new pads for the car and leave the rotors alone. The question is can these rotors be machined? or if they can't do you know how long rotors generally last and aprox cost to replace all 4.

Any insight would be much appreciated. I am sure everyone has come across this at one time or another.

I have a 2003 996 C2

Thanks

Beau from Chicago

• Admin
So I was crusiing around enjoying the weather when I got a brake wear indicator light. I took a look and the front pads were worn but the rear pads are okay. I talked to some guys at a shop and wanted them to order new front pads. They told me that they usually machine the rotors but since my rotors are cross drilled internally vented that I would need to replace them since they cant resurface them....kinda odd I thought. The guy suggested I just get the new pads for the car and leave the rotors alone. The question is can these rotors be machined? or if they can't do you know how long rotors generally last and aprox cost to replace all 4.

Any insight would be much appreciated. I am sure everyone has come across this at one time or another.

I have a 2003 996 C2

Thanks

Beau from Chicago

post-1-1241224022_thumb.png

I have a 2003 996 C2

Thanks

Beau from Chicago

A lot of shops will replace or turn a rotor when they install new pads because it reduces the number of come backs. But turning or replacing is not always necessary. I am unsure on the turning of cross drilled rotors - I have actually heard it both ways. I think the real answer is yes they can be, but it is diffcult, time consuming to do right and requires good equipment, so most won't do it. A new rotor is probably cheaper.

In deciding whether to replace or turn, you need to consider:

* do you have any brake judder/shudder and if so, is it due to a warped disk (not as common as most people think) or due to a heavy pad deposit (usually the case) - if so, turn or replace makes sense

* do you have significant cracking on the rotor - hairline cracks working their way out from the holes is normal, but can become problematic when they connect hole-to-hole. also check for cracks and splits out to the edge - hole-to-hole or edge cracking means time for new rotors

* are you below the wear limit at the rotor's thinnest point - sorry, I don't know the wear limit on the 996 rotors, but on the front of a 986 I believe it is 26mm (they are 28mm when new) and it is 22mm rear (they are 24mm when new); i will tell you on my track 986, i have never reached the wear limit even with high friction pads - I always kill them with cracking first from the heat

* are you close enough on any of these things that you would need to go back soon to have rotors replaced and thus pay for extra labor - if so, then just do it now

Porsche rotors for the front, if you don't shop around, will be 190 each - that is expensive - sunset will have them, i suspect, quite a bit cheaper. And look around - there are also many aftermarket rotors that are good - but you probably want to find ones that have an anti rust coating on the hats, otherwise the cheaper ones will show rust on the hats - that is just an appearance thing. Zimmerman, I think is the Porsche OEM provider, and sells Zimmerman branded rotors that have the hats coated to stop rust - they are a good 50 bucks cheaper than the Porsche ones.

It is common and expected for the front pads and rotors to wear out before the rears, so I bet you don't need to do anything to the rears if the pads are still good.

BTW, changing the pads and even the rotors, is a pretty easy DIY job if you have the right tools

Hey thanks guys. I believe my rotors are in good shape and the shop was looking to make a buck. They gave me a quote for $505 for new front pads installed with labor. They are out of their minds. The OEM pads cost somewhere around $340 +labor. WTF. The OEm is so much more expensive than the Pagid pads or other manufacturers. Do you recommend a certain brake pad? I am hoping there might be one out there that is better with reducing brake dust. I am open to any and all suggestions on brake pads

Thanks,

Beau

Hey thanks guys. I believe my rotors are in good shape and the shop was looking to make a buck. They gave me a quote for $505 for new front pads installed with labor. They are out of their minds. The OEM pads cost somewhere around $340 +labor. WTF. The OEm is so much more expensive than the Pagid pads or other manufacturers. Do you recommend a certain brake pad? I am hoping there might be one out there that is better with reducing brake dust. I am open to any and all suggestions on brake pads

Thanks,

Beau

Take a look at Pagid, Textar, Mintex and Galfor. I use Pagids, but my car is purely a track car, and I use high MOT, high friction pads.

Shop around - you can find some street ones at a decent price. And look at the DIY on how to install brake pads.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks,

Beau

Take a look at Pagid, Textar, Mintex and Galfor. I use Pagids, but my car is purely a track car, and I use high MOT, high friction pads.

Shop around - you can find some street ones at a decent price. And look at the DIY on how to install brake pads.

I have a 2003 Boxster and just replaced all 4 rotors, rear pads and sensors. Had replaced the front pads a year ago.

My original pads were (Porsche) Brembos, stamped right on the back plate of the pad. I replaced with Textar. Cannot tell the difference, my car is a daily driver. The symbol stamped on the original rotors is also Brembo but it does not say Brembo. I replaced with Zimmermans. Two came coated and 2 did not. I cleaned really well and painted the hats inside and out and the edges, getting paint inside the 2 plates of each rotor, with silver high temp caliper spray paint. I spent about $500.00 on everything. Did the work in about 2 hours, and I'm just a regular guy.

Good luck, it really is a straightforward project for a saturday morning.

Agreed , Do it yourself. Find another mechanic quickly. :angry: It's a very easy DIY. Order your parts from Sunset. Very cheap. I would stick with the OEM rotors. Make sure you order the new shims (anti squeak) and caliper bolts. Talk to the guys ant Sunset and they will tell you what you will need.

Great DIY instructions here.

I have a friend with a 996 Turbo. His mechanic wanted to charge him$1,100 for front rotors and pads. :o (He is a doctor and the mechanic knows he doesn't question the bill.) I got so pissed off when he told me I priced the parts for him. He called the mechanic and asked him why he was charging so much. The mechanic agreed to give him a "discount" this time. Son of a beach.

Good luck!!!

Edited by phillipj