Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ordering a Boxster S

Bill, it all depends on the open build date allocation that the dealership has, that you decide to work with. But, in this economy, I'd expect most of them to have open dates.

My personal experience was like this (I was in NO hurry, did not want the car until spring); ordered the car in August 2005 for a new 2006. The dealership had an open January 2006 build allocation. Car was built in January. Shipped in February. Arrived to the dealership in mid-Feb. I took delivery in late-late March, as agreed to in my sales negotiations.

So, if you ordered the car in May. It could be built in June. Arrive by July, and you take delivery then. This is probably best case.

Things that can cause delay are custom selected paint to match. This can be up to about 6 months. Same for custom leather. Between model years can also cause delays.

Porsche's web site for searching dealership inventory is pretty handy, if you take your time and have patience. Maybe you can find one close in the US, work a deal over the phone, fly out and get it, drive her home, and completed most of the hard-to-do-but-important break-in period (about 2,000 miles).

Have fun!

I bought my '01 Boxster off the dealer lot when it came back after a few months on a trade-in for a new Turbo. We were going to do a build-to-order Carrera for my wife, but found a brand-new '05 someone ordered, didn't want, and was 95% of what we would get. We couldn't find a Cayenne we liked anywhere, so did a build-to-order on an '08 Cayenne S.

In hindsight, the Cayenne is just about exactly what we wanted except for wasting $75 on the useless compass display. We added satnav to the Carrera, which cost more than ordering from the factory, but it's been great. I love my Boxster, but have changed a number of things over the years to get it close to what I want (Litronics, sport suspension, etc). If you are in no hurry, get exactly what you want but keep in mind the options start pushing the price up quickly. Dealers order (or are told to order) options that the "average" buyer will find satisfactory. In general, you get some of what you want, and pay for a few things you couldn't care less about. You have to decide what your priorities are.

If you do a build-to-order, it's highly likely you will have to wait until the 2010 model year, which means you won't be one of the the first to find out what Porsche didn't get right on the new '09 Boxster engine design. Good dealers will definitely negotiate price on a build-to-order, especially if you've done your research and understand what the markup between dealer and sticker price is for all the options (I think I used the Edmunds web site)

Hi,

Does anyone know how long it would take to get a boxster if I order one? None of the dealers anywhere near here has something I'd like.

Thanks,

Bill

Hello,

I ordered mine 3 monthes go, it should be here by 1st June i hope!! so what i know usually 3 to 4 months...

if you order now or maybe in june it should be 2010 model

good luck man

• 3 weeks later...

My Boxster took from 12 Dec 08, when the order was submitted by the dealer, to 13 Mar 09, when it arrived in the port--which is pretty much what the dealer predicted. Your time would depend mostly on when in the dealer's allocation cycle when you order. I did have a hang up at the port so it took an additional month to get to Los Angeles; I have never been clear why.

Like other commenters, I also think that the dealer would want to get it for you ASAP. I saw all 2008s last month when I was last at the dealer's--no additional 2009s!

I was very happy with the dealership and they kept me posted about the car's status. There is a web site that might be helpful: http://www.986faq.com/3-0/default.asp It is old but still useful.

The 2009s started manufacture in Feb 09 so if you ordered now you might still get a 2009 rather than a 2010. There is going to be a big change in about a year or so (2011 or 2012) with wholly new body panels and, perhaps, a more powerful, 4-cyl motor! I didn't know that mine was going to be called a 2009 until I ordered it in Dec 08--most online sources thought it would be called a 2010! You might not know either.

It was a pleasure ordering exactly the car I wanted.

Hi,

Does anyone know how long it would take to get a boxster if I order one? None of the dealers anywhere near here has something I'd like.

Thanks,

Bill

Hello,

I ordered mine 3 monthes go, it should be here by 1st June i hope!! so what i know usually 3 to 4 months...

if you order now or maybe in june it should be 2010 model

good luck man