Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Unexplained loss of coolant

'01 996 96k miles. Topped off coolant 2 weeks ago. Noticed this AM that level is way under min. level. No noticeable coolant leaks anywhere, car runs great. Had coolant tank replaced 1 year ago or so by dealer. Had 90k service done 1 month ago, no issues noted. Any cues as explain loss of coolant?

I'm not sure how often you check it. If you check it frequently and the loss was recent and sudden, then you've got a problem. But if you haven't checked it much since the coolant change, you may just have had some air in the system that needed to burp itself out. The cooling plumbing in these cars is mostly horizontal, so it can take a long time to work air out. The first time I had the coolant changed in mine, it took a couple of months and probably a liter of coolant to get it truly filled. Then it was fine.

The other thing that's often recommended is to replace the expansion tank cap. This part was updated some years ago. But I would assume that your new tank came with a new cap. The last digit of the part number on the cap should be 1 or higher.

I would also recommend the cap. If it is bad you will probably notice some moisture around the rim of the expansion tank. Call Sunset Porsche (sponsored vendor on here) and maybe replace the cap. The one I just got solved my problem, and it ends in 03. Also, check for intermix as mentioned. Good Luck!

Did noticed moisture on rim of tank. Cap ended in 01 even though tank and cap replaced in 07. Bought new cap yesterday (ending in '03). It sure does seem to lock a lot better. Hopefully this will do it. Many thanks to all.