Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Expert help needed with 2006 997 Standard Sound System

I have a 2006 997 C2 with the standard I490 sound system, i.e. NOT the Bose upgrade. I do not have the CD changer, or the NAV or the telephone fitted either.

I find the standard sound system inadequate, but I do not want to pay $$ for a Bose retrofit and I do not want to mess with the PCM unit. Local Blaupunkt dealer says that the standard amplifier (part 997.645.331.01) needs to be kept in order for the whole CAN BUS system to work, and proposes instead to hook up a second amplifier in series, using what he said are the 5 pairs of wires coming off the standard amp to feed into the hi-level inputs on a "slave' amp connected in series. Trouble is, it seems that these 5 pairs of wires coming off the standard amp are NOT the speaker wires as, if you disconnect and take the standard amp of the car completely, the sound system still works...albeit without any boost.

So we're completely confused here. Is there any way that the standard sound system can be upgraded, or is this just an exercise in futility? Blaupunkt dealer has an alternative idea which is to use an Audiotechnik Dietz CAN BUS Interface for the 997, part number 4016260628201 (about EUR200, US$280) which will allow the standard 997 connector block to connect, via the Audiotechnik Dietz CAN BUS Interface, to a Balupunkt PnP series amplifier, and we get rid of the standard amp altogether....but now we're talking many hundreds of dollars which is more than what I want to spend.

Need some help here from someone who knows my car's sound system inside out as i do not want to go ordering obscure german audio parts and end up with a pile of useless junk.

Alternatively, I will just put a couple of Blaupunkt THb 200A powered subwoofers on the rear shelf (the THb 210A is too high) and have done with it. Another alternative might just be to fit better speakers in the doors and side panels, although it seems that there is a built-in three-way crossover somewhere to split each of the front channels into tweeter, mid and woofer and I don't know where or what it is and, anyway, can the standard puny 4x25W amp supply enough power to make any difference with better speakers...?

Expert help from someone who REALLY knows this car's sound system inside out would really be appreciated as I am on a limited budget here and would rather do nothing than waste hundreds of dollars on something that will not work.

Edited by gavins

• 3 months later...
Here is an upgrade for you.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-...pics-997-a.html

This upgrade is a budget upgrade.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...=stereo+upgrade

Suggest you type stereo upgrade in the seach area(top right).

Paul

Hi,

I found this older thread while searching for stock 997 audio upgrade solutions.

could anybody please comment - where exactly get stock speakers connected to if not to stock amp outputs? I had a simplistic plan to put additional power amp and feed it from stock amp outputs, at same time replacing stock speakers to better ones but if there is any additional circuitry there in the car I am not really sure if it can be done.

I looked up wiring diagrams of 997 and at first glance nothing there suggests any additional connectivity or links to speakers other than from stock amp outputs so my initial plan was to disconnect wires from speakers input on amp connector and hook up there something like couple of Infinity Kappa Fours in between from stock amp outputs and speaker inputs. Now if this amplified signal travels somewhere else instead of going directly to speakers I am not sure if it even can be done.

What is it there in 997 and how can all speakers still make any sound if amp is taken out completely?

Also, could anybody please provide mounting depth and technical specs of stock non-bose speakers and detailed specs of stock amplifier.

So, no one really knows anything about those schematics?

How exactly outputs on plug B brown from PCM interfere with outputs from ASK stock amplifier?

I also do not see at all center speaker out on PCM itself - is it getting only from ASK amp?

I cannot believe no one here knows anything about 997 audio.