Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

So with much appreciated help from Loren providing list of wiring codes for the optical wavelength required for my system; I finally have everything I need.

I got hold of the technical installation manual from Porsche and all seems fairly easy except for replacing the current optical wire with the new one I just acquired. There is a big round break mechanism that is blocking the current wire attached to the plenum with some sort of pins which cannot be reached easily nor removed.

The part has a torx screw holding it to the panel but I dont know if that is the only thing; and should I worry about removing this pieces? (sorry if I sound like an amateur not knowing what it is!) - I could take a picture if necessary.

Once thats out of the way, I shouldn't have any issues re-routing the new wires and attaching the mounts/changer etc; then to the dealer for PIWIS programming!

thanks in advance

Sam

So with much appreciated help from Loren providing list of wiring codes for the optical wavelength required for my system; I finally have everything I need.

I got hold of the technical installation manual from Porsche and all seems fairly easy except for replacing the current optical wire with the new one I just acquired. There is a big round break mechanism that is blocking the current wire attached to the plenum with some sort of pins which cannot be reached easily nor removed.

The part has a torx screw holding it to the panel but I dont know if that is the only thing; and should I worry about removing this pieces? (sorry if I sound like an amateur not knowing what it is!) - I could take a picture if necessary.

Once thats out of the way, I shouldn't have any issues re-routing the new wires and attaching the mounts/changer etc; then to the dealer for PIWIS programming!

thanks in advance

Sam

answering my own question :P

The party is the power breaks, it is held to the chasis by two torx screws. Simply unscrew, nudge it around with a bit of force and the piece comes undone and will provide ample room to re-route the wire behind.

Everything worked out GREAT, super easy install... and guess what after all the wiring was done and went to check to make sure the PCM/radio was still working okay, press the CD button, regular CD okay, press again and the CD I had loaded on to the changer starts playing!! so I guess this was pre-programmed... no need to spend $65 for the PIWIS write!

if anybody is planning on adding on a changer, go for it. I'm all in it @ $600!

Sam

I surprised you went the CD changer route as opposed to simply installing a IPOD interface (ie. Dension Gateway). The Dension cost less than $500 plus it has the ability to interface to Blue Tooth phones if you add the BT option.

CDs are becoming the cassette of the 80's; it'll fade away just a quickly. With the IPOD, hard drive or USB memory device you literally have hundreds of CD's are your finger tips.

To each his own.

Enjoy the music!

• 2 weeks later...

Are there step-by-step images/instructions anywhere on how to install the changer? I don't have the changer and I'm curious where you tap into the optical and power in the trunk area?

Edited by epaulbb

• Admin
Are there step-by-step images/instructions anywhere on how to install the changer? I don't have the changer and I'm curious where you tap into the optical and power in the trunk area?

Yes, there are instructions from Porsche (TSB) - available to view for our Contributing Members.

yes, per Loren... You will need a new optical wire (you're not tapping into anything)... the wire attaches to the optical end ocming out of your PCM which is already in the luggage compartment. I had to unmount the ABS or Powerbreak assembly in front of that wire to ease the process, after that the rest took less than 30 minutes to complete... Just make sure you have all the pieces, I can give you all the part numbers you need if interested.

Sam

yes, per Loren... You will need a new optical wire (you're not tapping into anything)... the wire attaches to the optical end ocming out of your PCM which is already in the luggage compartment. I had to unmount the ABS or Powerbreak assembly in front of that wire to ease the process, after that the rest took less than 30 minutes to complete... Just make sure you have all the pieces, I can give you all the part numbers you need if interested.

Sam

Thank you tekky. I just purchased my 2005 C2 and I'm in between CDC4 and installing the Dension ipod unit. I took apart my trunk last weekend and didn't see the optical cable, but didn't remove the ABS/Powerbreak assembly. Will you or Loren be able to provide me with pictures of the optical cable and where to tap into power and the remote on? I've installed stereos, but never dealt with optical cables and it's a little intimidating for me not know where this stuff is located. Also Loren mentioned step-by-step instructions are available to contributing members, does that mean I just need to donate? Thanks in advance.

Yes, there are instructions from Porsche (TSB) - available to view for our Contributing Members.

Hi Loren. I just became a contributing member, since this BB has be INCREDIBLE with the information. Where can I find the TSB instructions you're referring to?

• Admin

Hi Loren. I just became a contributing member, since this BB has be INCREDIBLE with the information. Where can I find the TSB instructions you're referring to?

There is a Search in the Current TSBs section - I just searched for CDC (under 997-1).

2/04 9160 CDC-4 CD Changer Installation Instructions (I No. 692) -- dated Jul 7, 2006

There is a Search in the Current TSBs section - I just searched for CDC (under 997-1).

2/04 9160 CDC-4 CD Changer Installation Instructions (I No. 692) -- dated Jul 7, 2006

Thanks Loren, I found them and just got done digging into my trunk. Here's the locations of the optical cable and power areas to tap into if your 997-1 C2 (I have a 2005) my car didn't come with the changer and is the non-bose system.

All pictures are located here, I'm only adding 4 to the thread.

http://s647.photobucket.com/albums/uu196/e...r%20in%20trunk/

Far view of optical cable area in trunk

IMG_4354.jpg

Close-up view of optical cable

IMG_4353.jpg

Far view of power taps

IMG_4360.jpg

Close-up view of power taps, Hot Wire (green/red) and Ground (brown)

IMG_4359.jpg

Hopefully this helps some of you, it took me a long time to figure this out and reading multiple forums. I think I'm going to attempt the Dension ipod install now, since this seems very straight forward now. Thanks for everyone's help in the Renntech forums, I highly recommend you contribute if you you find this info useful.

Edited by epaulbb