Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2003 Turbo - Ignition Problems

Hello All

Glad to be part of this community. I have just got myself a 2003 Turbo and was experiencing misfires and hesitation. The yellow engine check is lit solid and sometimes goes off then comes back after a while. I believed this to be a coil problem so bought a set of four genuine Porsche Coils (terminated with '05' part number so latest revision) to replace the right bank of the engine (when you are looking at the engine from the front with hood open).

When I removed the 'old' coils they were in new condition, no visibale damage at all and these were porsche items and also terminating in the '05' part number.

This seemed to resolve the problem, it was running smoother and yellow engine check light now gone, but when I took it for a test drive it seemed to be still hestitating on load. I took it onto the motorway and planted the throttle. The engine started to hestitate and misfire on load and eventually lost power and the yellow engine check light started to flash a few times then went out.

The strange thing is, since then engine is now running rougher than before since I put it under load on the motorway. Yellow engine check light is now back on solid lit. I am going to try swap the left bank coils too as soon as I get myself a XZN Triple Square bit to take the stabiliser arm off to remove the engine design cover.

Could someone please tell me, if I am looking at the engine from the front of the vehicle, what number are the cylinders? I assume the bottom left one is 1, then the one above 2, 3, 4 etc..... The bottom right one is 5, then 6, 7, 8 ?? I did try to search for this answer but have to admit it confused me.

Regards

Edited by Twincharger

When the coils go, most likely the plugs were damaged also. All 8 must be suspect as should all 8 plugs

Hello All

Glad to be part of this community. I have just got myself a 2003 Turbo and was experiencing misfires and hesitation. The yellow engine check is lit solid and sometimes goes off then comes back after a while. I believed this to be a coil problem so bought a set of four genuine Porsche Coils (terminated with '05' part number so latest revision) to replace the right bank of the engine (when you are looking at the engine from the front with hood open).

When I removed the 'old' coils they were in new condition, no visibale damage at all and these were porsche items and also terminating in the '05' part number.

This seemed to resolve the problem, it was running smoother and yellow engine check light now gone, but when I took it for a test drive it seemed to be still hestitating on load. I took it onto the motorway and planted the throttle. The engine started to hestitate and misfire on load and eventually lost power and the yellow engine check light started to flash a few times then went out.

The strange thing is, since then engine is now running rougher than before since I put it under load on the motorway. Yellow engine check light is now back on solid lit. I am going to try swap the left bank coils too as soon as I get myself a XZN Triple Square bit to take the stabiliser arm off to remove the engine design cover.

Could someone please tell me, if I am looking at the engine from the front of the vehicle, what number are the cylinders? I assume the bottom left one is 1, then the one above 2, 3, 4 etc..... The bottom right one is 5, then 6, 7, 8 ?? I did try to search for this answer but have to admit it confused me.

Regards

When the coils go, most likely the plugs were damaged also. All 8 must be suspect as should all 8 plugs

Thanks for the reply, I have ordered another 4 Coils and a full set of new Spark Plugs. Can anyone confirm if these are pre-gapped or do I need to gap these myself?

Thanks

Guys

Just to update you all. I got round to replacing all the spark plugs and the other bank of coils with new ones. So the Cayenne now had new plugs and coils. When I fired up the Cayenne it still seemed to be running rough and CEL was still lit solid. So I read codes using Durametric which gave me the following;

P0201 - Cylinder 1 Injector Circuit

P0300 - Random/Muliple Cylinder Misfire

P0301 - Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

P0571 - Brake Switch A Circuit

So I cleared codes and somehow the engine started to run smoother but still not firing on cylinder 1. CEL was now gone, I drove vehicle for 10 miles and all of a sudden Cylinder 1 started firing again. Another 10 miles and the misfire returned for a couple of minutes and then went again. CEL lit up again, I re-read usng Durametric and got the following;

P0201 - Cylinder 1 Injector Circuit

The CEL has now gone but misfire comes and goes randomly, but most times engine runs ok and CEL has not returned.

When I originally pulled all the old spark plugs I noticed that Cylinder 1 plug was a little oily compared to the rest? Im not sure what else to look for now to resolve this problem. Can anyone help?

Edited by Twincharger

Hello All

Regards

Guys

Im still not 100% sure that I am looking at the right cylinder here, could someone please tell me where cylinder one is supposed to be?

Could someone please look at the image below and tell me if I have got the cylinder numbers right? Thanks

cayennev8.jpg

Cyl. # 1 is on the oil filler cap (where # 4 is on the pic.), - cyl. # 5 is on the opposite side (where # 8 is on the pic.)

Hope it helps.

RFM - Many thanks, all you guys have just resolved my problem!

I pulled the injector plug for cylinder 1 as indicated by wvicary and noticed that on the injector cable one of the wires going into the injector plug must have been rubbing against something and now exposed showing about 2mm of copper about 5mm away from the plug. It must have been shorting somehow since the voltage is effectively a pulse, and I know the heat does not help. I have for now wrapped the exposed copper in insulation tape and the cayenne is now running beautifully.

Ideally, I need to cut away the exposed copper and re-solder to a new injector plug. Does anyone know if these plugs can be purchased from Porsche?

Thanks