Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cracked head fixed/New Problem

post-7011-1244679158_thumb.jpgpost-7011-1244679179_thumb.jpgOh Boy, another major problem! Replaced the pulse sender today and got the engine back in the car. The good news is the engine started right up. The bad news is within 15 seconds or so I had a major oil leak. The green cam plug for the intake cam on the 1-3 head that was fixed had popped out. I was not too surprised at this because in reassembling the engine I had noticed a problem. When I went to put in the cam plugs I found that the hole for this cam plug was distorted. In looking closely at the head I saw that it appeared to have been dropped and slightly bent at this location. I then looked at the FedEx Ground box and saw the damaged to the box that I had not noticed. As an aside the shipment was insured for $500, but I don’t know if or how to collect from FedEX. In any case, it was very hard to get tis plug in as the head was bent in slightly at this location. It had not affected the cam journal so I decided to go ahead in install the plug and see if it leaked. If it did I assumed that I could dremel the hole round or have it machined.

Initially I thought that it was jut this plug coming loose. But when I looked at the puddle of oil I found the small metal cap that is in the picture next to the green plug. This is obviously one of the plug used to seal off oil and water passages in the head. It had come out with the oil. However, at the location of the cam plug/cam journal there is now way a metal plug from elsewhere in the head could get out at this spot

So I talked to John Edwards at Costa Mesa R&D and he had a cam there and confirmed that the cams have plugs in both ends. The plugs a about .590” or 15mm. he said that you can buy them at a NAPA store and reinsert one with a wood or metal drift. He did not think I would have to take it to a machine shop, but could do it jut by putting the engine of the ground to have good access to the end of the head. It had to be the oil pressure when this cap cam out that forced out the cam plug. I only expected I might have a slight leak, not oil pouring out of the engine. I am thinking that the plug could have been damaged by the cam holding tool that I fabricated as it allowed the bolt that went into the end of the cam to push against the plug.

Any one have any experience with this?

I am going to take a break for a few days, as I have been spending a huge amount of time on this in the afternoons and evening, and we are going out of town tomorrow for a wedding ( I had hoped to drive the car to the wedding, but that isn’t going to happen). Next week I guess I will drop the engine again ( with the practice I have had in the last two drops I have it down to about 3-4 hours) and try to put in a new plug. May not be as major a problem as I first thought, but what a hassle!! (or an adventure).

post-7011-1244679158_thumb.jpgpost-7011-1244679179_thumb.jpgOh Boy, another major problem! Replaced the pulse sender today and got the engine back in the car. The good news is the engine started right up. The bad news is within 15 seconds or so I had a major oil leak. The green cam plug for the intake cam on the 1-3 head that was fixed had popped out. I was not too surprised at this because in reassembling the engine I had noticed a problem. When I went to put in the cam plugs I found that the hole for this cam plug was distorted. In looking closely at the head I saw that it appeared to have been dropped and slightly bent at this location. I then looked at the FedEx Ground box and saw the damaged to the box that I had not noticed. As an aside the shipment was insured for $500, but I don’t know if or how to collect from FedEX. In any case, it was very hard to get tis plug in as the head was bent in slightly at this location. It had not affected the cam journal so I decided to go ahead in install the plug and see if it leaked. If it did I assumed that I could dremel the hole round or have it machined.

Initially I thought that it was jut this plug coming loose. But when I looked at the puddle of oil I found the small metal cap that is in the picture next to the green plug. This is obviously one of the plug used to seal off oil and water passages in the head. It had come out with the oil. However, at the location of the cam plug/cam journal there is now way a metal plug from elsewhere in the head could get out at this spot

So I talked to John Edwards at Costa Mesa R&D and he had a cam there and confirmed that the cams have plugs in both ends. The plugs a about .590” or 15mm. he said that you can buy them at a NAPA store and reinsert one with a wood or metal drift. He did not think I would have to take it to a machine shop, but could do it jut by putting the engine of the ground to have good access to the end of the head. It had to be the oil pressure when this cap cam out that forced out the cam plug. I only expected I might have a slight leak, not oil pouring out of the engine. I am thinking that the plug could have been damaged by the cam holding tool that I fabricated as it allowed the bolt that went into the end of the cam to push against the plug.

Any one have any experience with this?

I am going to take a break for a few days, as I have been spending a huge amount of time on this in the afternoons and evening, and we are going out of town tomorrow for a wedding ( I had hoped to drive the car to the wedding, but that isn’t going to happen). Next week I guess I will drop the engine again ( with the practice I have had in the last two drops I have it down to about 3-4 hours) and try to put in a new plug. May not be as major a problem as I first thought, but what a hassle!! (or an adventure).

bummer -- I had a machine shop weld mine back in. why take the chance it pops out at a less opportune time.

it was cheap (<$100)

m

Just curious how your happened. Did your pop out when you were using the car, when you were working on it or what? There are actually quite a few of these plugs in the engines and they are all just pressed in.