Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Top Drainage Issues

Hello all. I have been hit with the "top drainage" problem discussed in other threads. Simply put, the top rain drainage system has apparently become clogged resulting in a build up of water under the rear of the driver seat. It gets worse, while driving the electrical system went nuts (top opening, windows up and down, spoiler malfunction, etc.). The clog has resulted in various shorts of components positioned under the carpet behind the driver seat. Two (2) dealerships have denied this to be a warranty item. Am I nuts? Why would this not be covered? I appreciate any input as I am heading back to address this with the dealership now that I have the benefit of this forum. Thank you.

I would guess they are refusing it as warranty because keeping the drains clear is a matter of maintenance.

I haven't checked the "service booklet" yet, but I had no knowledge of my duty to check a drain valve that is found deep in the wheel well. If I am responsible for a maintenance of an item, they have the responsibility to make me aware of that item. Not to mention that the drainage set up defies logic. The placement of the drain, the likelihood of clog, and the proximity to sensitive components is negligent. I will keep the board posted. Thank you.

I see your point. I consider it maintenance as it's something I check on every boxster I service and many other makes also. Please do post back with your results.

Yeah, I went to the dealership today and there were two other cabs in there with the same dilemma. It has been raining quite a bit in NY, and it has taken it's toll on some other owners. Apparently insurance has covered the other two victims, and I will find out if my insurance company will come through soon. The damage on one of the other Porsches was over $9,000--the entire cabin was taken apart leaving the metal shell. I'm surprised the Porsche community doesn't expect more from their vehicles. I have owned other convertibles (Benz, Alfa, M3) and drainage was never an issue nor a maintenance item. I can't help but feel this isn't consistent with the ideals and price of our cars. Keep you all posted. Be well.

• 1 month later...
I see your point. I consider it maintenance as it's something I check on every boxster I service and many other makes also. Please do post back with your results.

Yeah, I went to the dealership today and there were two other cabs in there with the same dilemma. It has been raining quite a bit in NY, and it has taken it's toll on some other owners. Apparently insurance has covered the other two victims, and I will find out if my insurance company will come through soon. The damage on one of the other Porsches was over $9,000--the entire cabin was taken apart leaving the metal shell. I'm surprised the Porsche community doesn't expect more from their vehicles. I have owned other convertibles (Benz, Alfa, M3) and drainage was never an issue nor a maintenance item. I can't help but feel this isn't consistent with the ideals and price of our cars. Keep you all posted. Be well.

I´ve had the same problem, however I´ve to admit that I should have been aware of it as if the water remains in the drainage you can hear it (as with a water bottle :rolleyes: ). The result was, as mentioned, that I´ve got a lot of malfunctions and the main circuit has to be replaced.

My dealer managed to fix and replace without charging me evene it was two days out of warranty. I´m not sure but I think he didn´t told Porsche that it was because the drainage has been stucked B)

Is it a fault of Porsche? Maybe, maybe not. Where I completly agree is that a check should be part of the service, however this won´t really fix the problem as it might occur during the 12 month in between => owner´s manual should incorporate a hint.

Best regards

Klaus

IMO, the real problem is in the location of the central alarm control unit at the absolute lowest point on the floor pan. Had Porsche elevated the unit by just 2 inches, you would still have clearance for the seat to move back and forth without hitting the top of the unit.

The problem is that Porsche would have sold approximately 21,432 less units (my WAG) and there would have been almost that much less business for the dealers. ;)

I don't think it would have been that difficult to issue a TSB with a small kit to be installed under the unit to elevate it. DUH!!!

That being said, keep your drains clear at all times!

Regards, Maurice.