Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Airbag light

I've been dealing with this airbag light problem for months. Durametric reports fault error 21 ignition circuit driver. This error indicates connection problems with the steering wheel airbag. I've taken apart my steering wheel several times trying to figure out the problem. I have verified that my clockspring is still good by checking the continuity of the wiring on both sides of the unit.

I have done searches on the website that mostly deal with seatbelt problems and the airbag light. I have never gotten any error codes dealing with the seatbelts.

Is there something that I need to check past the clockspring wiring? Is there a way to check the airbag to make sure that it's not the source of the problem?

God, I love my Porsche!!!

• Admin
I've been dealing with this airbag light problem for months. Durametric reports fault error 21 ignition circuit driver. This error indicates connection problems with the steering wheel airbag. I've taken apart my steering wheel several times trying to figure out the problem. I have verified that my clockspring is still good by checking the continuity of the wiring on both sides of the unit.

I have done searches on the website that mostly deal with seatbelt problems and the airbag light. I have never gotten any error codes dealing with the seatbelts.

Is there something that I need to check past the clockspring wiring? Is there a way to check the airbag to make sure that it's not the source of the problem?

Fault codes 04, 05, 20, 21, 36

Ignition circuit, driver

1. Remove driver's airbag unit.

2. Attach the special tool 9516 instead of the airbag unit.

3. Clear the fault memory.

4. Check whether the fault appears again.

a If the fault does not appear again, replace the airbag unit.

b If the fault appears again, disconnect plug connection to the contact unit and attach special tool 9516/1.

5. Clear the fault memory.

6. Check whether the fault appears again.

a If the fault does not appear again, replace the contact unit.

b If the fault appears again, check the wiring harness for pinches and chafing damage.

c If no fault is found on the wiring harness, replace the triggering unit.

Proceed as described below to determine whether the fault was eliminated:

1. Clear the fault memory.

2. Switch oft ignition.

3. Remove ignition key.

4. Switch on ignition.

You may need to borrow the airbag tool (a special resister in box with the correct connector - I think) or

find a shop that has one.

Fault codes 04, 05, 20, 21, 36

Ignition circuit, driver

1. Remove driver's airbag unit.

2. Attach the special tool 9516 instead of the airbag unit.

3. Clear the fault memory.

4. Check whether the fault appears again.

a If the fault does not appear again, replace the airbag unit.

b If the fault appears again, disconnect plug connection to the contact unit and attach special tool 9516/1.

5. Clear the fault memory.

6. Check whether the fault appears again.

a If the fault does not appear again, replace the contact unit.

b If the fault appears again, check the wiring harness for pinches and chafing damage.

c If no fault is found on the wiring harness, replace the triggering unit.

Proceed as described below to determine whether the fault was eliminated:

1. Clear the fault memory.

2. Switch oft ignition.

3. Remove ignition key.

4. Switch on ignition.

You may need to borrow the airbag tool (a special resister in box with the correct connector - I think) or

find a shop that has one.

I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but I will toss it out.

You MIGHT be able to use a 1/4 watt 2.9 ohm resister wired in in place of the special airbag tester part. I think all you are trying to do with the tester is set up the proper resistance that the airbag would provide to see what happens with the light - if it goes out, then you have a probelm with the airbag - if it stays on, then there is a problem with the wiring upstream. I seem to have stumbled onto the right resistance for the driver's airbag.

How and why? I have a track dedicated 986S, and I took my stock wheel out to replace with a quick release to facilitate egress. (Fancy way of saying I have trouble getting my fat a** out quickly.) The airbag light was annoying. I tested the resistance across the airbag, and got yelled at by all my fellow renntechers for stupidity - risk of setting the thing off. Turns out, it is not an accurate way anyway. I researched and found the 944 race cars use the 2.9 ohm resister wired in to do exactly what I want to do. Assuming they are the same, I tried it - and it has worked no problem since then. 2.9 ohm is not a standard resister value. I had to "build" one with the help of my electrical engineer neighbor - I got a big bag of them from radio shack, and he helped me select ones to wire together to get to 2.9 ohms.

Problem is - i don't know definitively that this is the right resistance - all i know is it works to keep the light off with my driver's side air bag removed.

Thanks Loren and ericinboca! I built myself a test resistor for the airbag and tried it with no change. I went through and checked everything again and found that I had an intermittent connection on the clockspring. After testing it about 5 times, it finally showed an open circuit. What a pain in the butt. I rigged up a test wire to go around the clockspring to verify the problem and the airbag light stayed off. I guess I'll order a new one and all will be good. Thanks again.

Ross

Thanks Loren and ericinboca! I built myself a test resistor for the airbag and tried it with no change. I went through and checked everything again and found that I had an intermittent connection on the clockspring. After testing it about 5 times, it finally showed an open circuit. What a pain in the butt. I rigged up a test wire to go around the clockspring to verify the problem and the airbag light stayed off. I guess I'll order a new one and all will be good. Thanks again.

Ross

Got a used one out of my 2004 986S. If you are interested - PM me.