Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Painting Porsche wheels and calipers

It was time...

After looking at these pictures I was embarrass to post the before shot , anyway here's my results.

All four wheels and calipers were painted by me. Calipers I used Dupilcolor Red ceramic paint and the

wheels I use Wurth Silver and a 2 part clear coat from Spray Max 2 (expensive) but worth the cost.

I cleaned with Brake Cleaner then rough off the old clear coat with 320/600/900 and 000 steel wool.

No priming just 2 even coats of Wurths and 2 Coats of Clear.

The caliper were prepared with Cleaner and a lot of wet sanding. I was as careful as I could be to remove very little of the factory powder coating.

You need to feather out the edges where the clear is peeling. I was nervous using the Dupicolor it both matching the color and how well it sprayed.

I very satisfied with the results. The 480 pic's photos do not do them justice.

I was quoted 350+ (powder coating) for the Calipers and $400 for the wheels.

My cost with apprx .$75 and 10+ hours labor in the garage.

post-6095-1245708693_thumb.jpg

post-6095-1245708722_thumb.jpg

Edited by RJG1

What kind of spray gun did you use?

It was just rattle cans. However, the Clear coat from Spraymax , yields a professional spray gun type pattern (adjustable as well). I was skeptical at first but the output is about as spray gun like

as can be had from a can. Also ,its a Poly urethane finish not Enamel as it 2 parts , downside is the pot life is 24 HRs ,use it or lose it.

It will last much longer and should prove to be easiest to clean and keep clean is what Ill been told.

If you look at one of the shots you will see where the Dupi can dripped from the nozzle but the sparymax never loaded up just a nice even puff of spray where you can cut in easily.Here a few more pix of my setup.

Also ,in one picture the edge of the rim looks whitest that just a blown highlight from the camera.

Thx Bob

post-6095-1245839245_thumb.jpg

post-6095-1245839261_thumb.jpg

post-6095-1245839277_thumb.jpg

post-6095-1245839297_thumb.jpg

It was time...

After looking at these pictures I was embarrass to post the before shot , anyway here's my results.

All four wheels and calipers were painted by me. Calipers I used Dupilcolor Red ceramic paint and the

wheels I use Wurth Silver and a 2 part clear coat from Spray Max 2 (expensive) but worth the cost.

I cleaned with Brake Cleaner then rough off the old clear coat with 320/600/900 and 000 steel wool.

No priming just 2 even coats of Wurths and 2 Coats of Clear.

The caliper were prepared with Cleaner and a lot of wet sanding. I was as careful as I could be to remove very little of the factory powder coating.

You need to feather out the edges where the clear is peeling. I was nervous using the Dupicolor it both matching the color and how well it sprayed.

I very satisfied with the results. The 480 pic's photos do not do them justice.

I was quoted 350+ (powder coating) for the Calipers and $400 for the wheels.

My cost with apprx .$75 and 10+ hours labor in the garage.

looks cleaner...i'm planning on doing my C230 kompressor..thanks for the info