Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Sport Chrono "Clip" Broken?

I recently purchased a 2005 987 (speed yellow). After the car arrived I had the local dealer do a PPI (post-purchase in my case) and they found that the "clip" that secures the sport chrono in the dashboard was broken. Now, the chrono seems to be just fine to me; it swivels like it should, functions as designed, and appears to be generally secure. However, the dealer told me that while it is not broken it's not "secured in place" due to this clip issue. I asked them what it would cost to fix that clip and they came back with about $600. I quickly learned that Porsche doesn't fix things they just replace them (they "fixed" my ash try lid and cup holder door the same way).

I decided to pass but now I find myself anticipating the day when I slam the accelerator and the chrono comes popping out of the dashboard and rolls onto the floor in shame. :-/ So my question is, has anyone else experienced this "problem" and fixed it themselves? How do you even remove the chrono from the dash? I'd like to get a look at this "clip" and see if I can just super glue it or something.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Edited by jfoxny

I recently purchased a 2005 987 (speed yellow). After the car arrived I had the local dealer do a PPI (post-purchase in my case) and they found that the "clip" that secures the sport chrono in the dashboard was broken. Now, the chrono seems to be just fine to me; it swivels like it should, functions as designed, and appears to be generally secure. However, the dealer told me that while it is not broken it's not "secured in place" due to this clip issue. I asked them what it would cost to fix that clip and they came back with about $600. I quickly learned that Porsche doesn't fix things they just replace them (they "fixed" my ash try lid and cup holder door the same way).

I decided to pass but now I find myself anticipating the day when I slam the accelerator and the chrono comes popping out of the dashboard and rolls onto the floor in shame. :-/ So my question is, has anyone else experienced this "problem" and fixed it themselves? How do you even remove the chrono from the dash? I'd like to get a look at this "clip" and see if I can just super glue it or something.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Ouch! $625 on pelican for the upper housing!

If you can pull with light force and it comes out I'd consider repairing it, but I definitely wouldn't spend the bucks to replace the whole thing. From the PET diagram below it looks like there are four tabs, some or all of which are secured with u-clips to the lower housing under the dash cover. If a clip is missing, no big deal. If a tab is broken, maybe you can fish it out and glue it up. If just one tab is broken I don't think it's going anywhere.

post-6029-1246394576_thumb.png

Hope this helps,

Mark

Thanks a lot for the info; I will have to give this a shot! Just curious, where did you get get the technical diagram from? Is there a resource on-line where I can access these for future projects?

Thanks again,

Jason

Thanks a lot for the info; I will have to give this a shot! Just curious, where did you get get the technical diagram from? Is there a resource on-line where I can access these for future projects?

Thanks again,

Jason

I took a screencap from the PET pages listed on Pelican's website, which seems to use a PDF directly from Porsche's website: http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi...997_KATALOG.pdf

Other folks here might be able to point you to another resource, but this has worked for me whenever I've needed a closer look at something. And if you're going to buy any parts you lookup use the "Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost" link at the top of this page. :)

Mark

I took a screencap from the PET pages listed on Pelican's website, which seems to use a PDF directly from Porsche's website: http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf/origi...997_KATALOG.pdf

Other folks here might be able to point you to another resource, but this has worked for me whenever I've needed a closer look at something. And if you're going to buy any parts you lookup use the "Porsche Parts at Dealer Cost" link at the top of this page. :)

Awesome! Thanks, Mark!

Jason