Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Help suspension clunk car crabbing

Hi All,

I need advice. My car was very loose and wobbley in the rear at a DE event. I brought it to my indy he told me the right rear toe was all wrong and a bushing in the control arm was worn and the bold to adjust toe was bent. I have had no accidents with the car and I have had no issues at all with the suspension prior to this.He replaced both rear control arms and adjustment bolts. He set the rear camber at neg2deg and zero toe. He said all looks great

I went to auto cross and heard a slight clunk in the rear and the cars handling got real bad. When I drove the car back to the shop my steering wheel was not straight and the car was pulling to the right. crabbing? (I figured he forgot to tighten something )

He said everything was tight but the right rear toe was off again. He loosened up every thing again and reset the suspension and sent me on my way saying he could not find the cause. The car drove good on the highway home.

I got home parked up for a few days and then last night I noticed a clunk when I reversed out of the garage and again when I reversed out of a parking space.

Now the car is all over the highway the steering wheel is not straight and the car is again pulling to the right. What should I do Any Ideas anybody I have never had any noises coming from the suspension before this or any other issues.

I am under a deadlind as I have a DE on Monday.

thanks

ROW 1999 996 manual cab 64K miles

B)

Hi All,

I need advice. My car was very loose and wobbley in the rear at a DE event. I brought it to my indy he told me the right rear toe was all wrong and a bushing in the control arm was worn and the bold to adjust toe was bent. I have had no accidents with the car and I have had no issues at all with the suspension prior to this.He replaced both rear control arms and adjustment bolts. He set the rear camber at neg2deg and zero toe. He said all looks great

I went to auto cross and heard a slight clunk in the rear and the cars handling got real bad. When I drove the car back to the shop my steering wheel was not straight and the car was pulling to the right. crabbing? (I figured he forgot to tighten something )

He said everything was tight but the right rear toe was off again. He loosened up every thing again and reset the suspension and sent me on my way saying he could not find the cause. The car drove good on the highway home.

I got home parked up for a few days and then last night I noticed a clunk when I reversed out of the garage and again when I reversed out of a parking space.

Now the car is all over the highway the steering wheel is not straight and the car is again pulling to the right. What should I do Any Ideas anybody I have never had any noises coming from the suspension before this or any other issues.

I am under a deadlind as I have a DE on Monday.

thanks

ROW 1999 996 manual cab 64K miles

If the 996 is like a 986 in the rear, which I imagine is likely, I would check both "radius" arms - the one in the rear that goes from the wheel carrier to the suspension frame and is used to control toe - presumably the one the tech changed - but also check the one in the "front". It is easy to see where that one attaches to the wheel carrier, but you have to remove the forward wheel well plastic cover to get your head in there to see the end of it where it attaches to the chassis. It is easy to overlook 'cause it takes a little effort.

If that foward radius arm is loose or busted, I can see how twisting would bend and damage the rear toe arm.

I would also be sure the strut mount at the top of the coilover is mounted securely. Of course, this depends on if the 986 is like the 996.

And, while this wasn't the nature of your question (sorry for the unsolicited advice) once you get it all figured out and it will hold its alignment, I would recommend slight toe-in on the rear - slight toe-in will help keep the rear from coming around so easy. But suspension set up and alignment set up related is a personal choice - so feel free to ignore the know-it-all

:D

I had a similar problem on my 986 and it turned out to be play in the ball joint on the lower control arm. If I grabbed the rotor and wiggled it I could feel a small amount of play. But when driving, it made the car awfully wiggly, as you describe.

Hi All,

Here is an update.

On inspection the bolt to adjust the camber was loose, causing the wheel to move It was torqued to spec on the nut side but the bolt was moving. Apparently the washer had bound on the bolt threads and was not seated correctly. The boly, nut and washer were replaced again so I think all should be good now. Thanks for all the help