Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Convince a noobie to buy a Porsche

Hey guys! This is my first post here. Just had a couple of quick general questions for you.

I have an 87 Mustang. About 3 years ago, I had a need for a 4 Door, so I decided on an BMW 325i. Many people, including my dad were trying to talk me out of it.

"Parts are expensive" "It's gonna be hard to work on" etc. After owning the car for 3 years, I realize that some parts do cost more, but it's not outrageous. Other parts actually cost less than the Mustang (and appear as if they are better quality) Also, in my opinion, it is easier to do most of the work on the BMW instead of the Mustang.

Now, I am thinking about a Boxster. What's the deal here? The first thing that has scared me is the fact that you can't lift a hood and see the engine at all. I assume that you have to drop the engine to do anything.

Concern #1: Now I know this car HAS to be hard to work on, right?

Concern #2: From what I have seen so far, parts appear to cost on average about double what the BMW parts are. Does this sound about right?

Concern #3: I have been buying BMW parts online. What is the best source for Porsche parts?

Concern #4: You can find the Factory BMW shop manual on e-bay doing a search on ETK TIS CDROM. Is there anything like this for Porsche?

Concern #5: I believe I resolved this concern by stumbling upon this forum. I have looked at several Porsche DIY forums, and you guys seem to be the best group on the web!

• Admin
Concern #1: Now I know this car HAS to be hard to work on, right?

Concern #2: From what I have seen so far, parts appear to cost on average about double what the BMW parts are. Does this sound about right?

Concern #3: I have been buying BMW parts online. What is the best source for Porsche parts?

Concern #4: You can find the Factory BMW shop manual on e-bay doing a search on ETK TIS CDROM. Is there anything like this for Porsche?

Concern #5: I believe I resolved this concern by stumbling upon this forum. I have looked at several Porsche DIY forums, and you guys seem to be the best group on the web!

1. IMHO - no, oil change 15 minutes, spark plugs 30-40 min. Brakes are big and easy to change.

2. Like any make/model it pays to shop around. RennTech.org trys to help our users by providing links to folks like Sunset Imports that sells Porsche parts at dealer cost. See the red link at the top of the page.

3. Same as 2.

4. Many DIY questions are answered here including pictures, and 1st hand tips. Some members have also done a set of DVDs on common upgrades and maintenance items. Check them out in the RennTech.org Special Offers Forum.

All the talent and experience of the many members here is what makes RennTech.org a cut above all the rest!

Good luck on your purchase decision!

• 2 years later...

Anyone who loves cars and doesn't own one of these for at least a little while is missing out. Dont buy one if you have a tight budget or a credit card without a stong limit. They are very reliable but when something goes, they are expensive. Maintenance is fairly infrequent (oil changes 10-15K depending on who you talk to) so having the engine under the vehicle is not too big of a deal. Plus when you rip around your first 90 degree corner at 35+mph and hardly feel it, you will fall in love with a mid-engine car. Overall, cost is probably not much more than your BMW.

Here's the deal. If you don't mind being stared at by people driving BMWs, Benzs, 350Z, etc, then this is the car for you.

If you like a reliable sports car that begs to be driven, a Boxster is for you.

Now that I own one, the main difference between this and a 350Z or Z4 (my other former considerations) or another car is that you have the guts to own one.

Used they are about the same price, similar handling, similar speed, close maintenance costs, etc. So why buy it over a Z4 or 350Z? Because you can and you're not afraid of it. Whether you like philosophy or not, I really think that Porsche ownership is as emotional as it is physical. Many people cant take that mental leap which is OK by me -more fun for us!

I hope you can too. If you live from your emotions this is the car for you. If you are guided by what is most sensible and what is normal, it is less likely but may still work. Either way, unless you are close to dead, this car will excite you.

My best friend, who btw is one of maybe 5 people in the world who developed the cell phone antenna technology we use today (an ultra technical/computer guy who could care less about cars) actually smiled and got a thill from driving it.

Basically, The Boxster Rocks!

Convinced?

There is no doubt, owning a Porsche is a lifestyle commitment. They are very different than owning more conventional cars. While they don't break often, they can be expensive to fix. But oh the ride! It comes down to a simple math problem really. Take the total cost of ownership (which is probably in the ballpark of your BMW) and divide it by the smiles per mile. Porsche is a big winner here for me. Feel the permagrin.

No you do not have to drop the engine for most service. Access is under the partially opened top (service position). As Loren said, routine service is not that hard.

My advice is always to try to talk yourself out of a Porsche. Then if you cannot, you'll be committed to the car. Maybe also committed to the looney bin like the rest of us.

DO IT!!!!! :thumbup:

Dont be scared..... buy one from a Porsche dealership and pay the extra for the extended warranty if you want piece of mind!

Best thing I ever did, I was a die hard Miata fan (had 3 over the years), since I bought the Boxster.....I never looked back.

Good luck!