Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Rear wing won't go down

I've read plenty of complaints about the rear wing won'g go up, but my is stuck in the UP position and won't go down. There are signs of leaks around the rams. Anyone know what causes the wing to stay up? Is it a lack of fluid problem or the pump actuators not working?

TIA.

I've read plenty of complaints about the rear wing won'g go up, but my is stuck in the UP position and won't go down. There are signs of leaks around the rams. Anyone know what causes the wing to stay up? Is it a lack of fluid problem or the pump actuators not working?

TIA.

Got all the info here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...122&hl=wing

TIA.

Got all the info here: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...122&hl=wing

Thanks for the quick reply.

How do I test to see if it's the micro switch at fault? Where is the ms located?

Also, what's the etiquette here? Should I reply to the original thread instead?

The switch #11 on the picture is $49.75 part#996 613 167 00. It can be DIY with little bit of ability.... I just remember mine was only moved out a little bit so I had to push it back in and taped it in place... Also forgot to mention, as soon you got a spoiler fault you need to reset the fault with a PIWIS or Durametric (in the instrument cluster section). Even if you fix it the fault won't erase by itself.....

post-29683-1246822328_thumb.png

Edited by jpflip

I pulled my switch out and took a close look. The tension on the springs seem to be okay. Don't see any damage.

I also just measured my wing height and noticed the gap from top of wing blade to top of wing base is 2.25", whereas the passenger side is at 2". I guess I do have an uneven wing problem. I was able to pull on the lower wing end with some force and measured an even 2.25" gap, matching the driver side.

With the car turned off and the wing height switch activated, I can hear the pump making noise but the wing doesn't budge up or down. Does that signal the need to bleed/refill the fluid? Does that sound alone prove whether the rams themselves are okay or not, or do I still need to conduct the battery test separately?

IMO uneven operation of the wing is normally due to air in the system or low fluid level because of a leak. A good start is to fill, bleed and leak check.... It is a very expensive system to replace and often at fault. There is a lot of post about this subject. I don't have more info to give you because I never dismantle the system completely. Good luck.

• 12 years later...

Just FYI for the forum.  My 1999 (996) Cabriolet had the spoiler stuck problem.  After replacing the car battery I had the "spoiler alert" warning light on, but it was in the down position.  I manually raised it, but then it would not manually go down.  I was going to hit the interstate and go 76mph, but I first went to the store and upon coming out I decided to lower the top.  That made the spoiler go down. It also turned off the warning light. Something to try if you have a convertible.  Good luck.

I have a convertible and when I had similar wing problem ( one side not going up) putting the top down and up didn't help orncleae code.   PST2 or PIWIS 2 and 3 would clear code.  I decided to remove wingandnhydrilic system and send to Cabriolet Hydrolics in Sarasota FL and 1 week and $740 later I got the entire system back looking brand new.  Once installed it now works great and has 3 year warranty.

Highly recommend Cabriolet Hydrolics for top or wing hydrilic system repair.