Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Footwell Lighting Wiring Question

Hi,

I am planning on adding LED footwell lights to my Boxster and have a question about wiring the lights to the current interior lighting system. Most people seem to wire the lights to the dome light so that the lights can switched on and off with the down light, which I would like to do. But it occurred to me that the dome light must have a wire running to it, and it would be far easier to tap into the wire running up to the dome light than to run my own wire up there.

I looked in my Bentley manual and it mentions a Brown/Yellow wire coming from the locking module to the interior lights. Could I tap into this and where would I find this wire? Or would doing this if it is possible not allow the FWL's to activate with the dome light when it is manual switched on and off?

Second, if the only way to accomplish this is to run my own wire to the dome light does anyone have a clearer explanation of where to solder. So far all the pictures/explanations I have found have not been very clear. Also, would it be possible to add a wire to the dome light without soldering so the installation is not permanent?

Thanks for any help in advance! :D

To use the switch on the dome light above the mirror to power your footwell lights , you will need to run your power from the correct side of the switch. In short you are going to need to run wiring up there anyway. What kid of LED footwell lights did you purchase? I am interested in doing this mod.

Yes your Bentley is right,,, sort of

I took a look at my diagram, a BR/YE wire is not coming from the locking module but

it does share the connection point X11 & X12 which is connection WL passenger compartment WL door.

This BR/YE actually comes from alarm control module then juntioned at connection pt 73/spliced into 3 ways to feed the dome,both door lights

Yes it should work if U tap into this,,,,,right under your driver seat.

Hi,

I am planning on adding LED footwell lights to my Boxster and have a question about wiring the lights to the current interior lighting system. Most people seem to wire the lights to the dome light so that the lights can switched on and off with the down light, which I would like to do. But it occurred to me that the dome light must have a wire running to it, and it would be far easier to tap into the wire running up to the dome light than to run my own wire up there.

I looked in my Bentley manual and it mentions a Brown/Yellow wire coming from the locking module to the interior lights. Could I tap into this and where would I find this wire? Or would doing this if it is possible not allow the FWL's to activate with the dome light when it is manual switched on and off?

Second, if the only way to accomplish this is to run my own wire to the dome light does anyone have a clearer explanation of where to solder. So far all the pictures/explanations I have found have not been very clear. Also, would it be possible to add a wire to the dome light without soldering so the installation is not permanent?

Thanks for any help in advance! :D

Ok, so I could tap into the BR/YE wire.

My main concern is that the light will not function the same way. Because the dome light can be switched on and off but the door lights are not toggled by this switch and only come on when you open the doors or remove the key. I think the easiest thing to do is to just run a wire to the dome light, because that method is proven to work. I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with a wire coming down from the dome light, however after thinking about this more the only way to get the lights to toggle with the dome light is to wire lights directly to the dome light.

Thanks for the help!

Also, the lights I am considering buying are 2 24CM white LED strips off of eBay for $5. I am not sure where I would put them but was considering putting them either on the side of the AC piping in the footwell or under the seats.

Great minds think alike, i have just ordered two 24 leds strips from Ebay to use as FWL, You are right about running wires to the light as you need to tap into the switched side, not the supply side.

I too am wondering how i will attach the lights and where.

Cheers

I am not sure how you would attach them. At this point I am not sure I will be doing this mod, I am not that into taking the A-pillar apart and soldering onto the dome light.

I do have another question about another mod, and though I would post here before I start a new thread.

I am installing custom 12V running lights and I need to wire them to a switched power source.

Does anyone know of a switched power source in the trunk or near the battery?

If there is on then I do not have to run the wires to the phone connector or through the firewall.

Thanks!

I am not sure how you would attach them. At this point I am not sure I will be doing this mod, I am not that into taking the A-pillar apart and soldering onto the dome light.

I do have another question about another mod, and though I would post here before I start a new thread.

I am installing custom 12V running lights and I need to wire them to a switched power source.

Does anyone know of a switched power source in the trunk or near the battery?

If there is on then I do not have to run the wires to the phone connector or through the firewall.

Thanks!

Just done it. Only taken 20 mins. You remove the light by popping it out at the lhs (uk car) other side has a lip. Soldered onto the 2 lamp spots, they both go back to pins, one on the connector the other on the switch.

Then i opened roof a touch and reomoved the 3 torque screws which hold sun visor/secure roof. You can run the cable along here by just pulling on it lightly.

Then just unclip A pillar cover (2 clips holding it) and i had a coat hanger wire and fed it up from footwell to the bottom of a pillar, you can see the gap easily.

Job done. Very simple.

Just don't know how/where to secure these leds now and which way to point them ?