Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

rear spoiler relays?

Manual switch for the rear spoiler doesn't make the spoiler go up. Checked the fuse and it's fine (Row A, Fuse 3). Don't seem to be getting a warning message in the on board computer display. I don't think it goes up at 75MPH either but I need someone to follow me to find out.

I know 986 Boxsters have two relays under the carpet in the left rear. One for up, one for down. If the up relay is bad you can swap them see if you have a bad relay. 987 Boxsters don't seem to have those same two identical relays. One relay (964 615 275 00) seems to be an AC System related relay (Pelican search). The other is a Bosch part number. Not having the electrics manual I can't figure out what it does.

Any suggestions on where to go next in search of fixing the rear spoiler operation?

Thanks.

Edited by markl951

• Admin

:welcome:

There is no relay in a 987-1 for the spoiler - it is controlled by the Rear Control unit (which is solid state).

Possibilities are a bad switch, or a bad control unit program (needs re-programing), a bad microswitch in the spoiler assembly (usually you would get a fault warning), or a bad control unit.

You really need a PIWIS tester to do a proper diagnosis. It will tell you what part of the circuit is working and what part is not - plus you can re-program the control unit if that appears to be the fault.

I suggest you find a shop with a PIWIS - unless you live near me (I have a PIWIS tester).

• 1 month later...

Have checked a few things since first posting.

Rear spoiler works fine at speed. Followed the wife down the highway. Pops up at 75 MPH. Goes down around 50 MPH. Good!

I had the radio out installing an FM modulator and decided to check the switch. This car does not have PASM or sport chrono so the only two switches are for the rear spoiler and PSM. The two switches are assembled together into a single module and a single wire harness connectors connects to the back of this module. Was thinking that if the switch was bad I could just replace that. Doesn't appear to be the easy fix.

Anyone else replace a faulty rear spoiler switch to fix this problem?

Edited by markl951

• Moderators

Try it this way: ignition on - one push on the button - the switch control light is on and the spoiler go's up automatically.

Do the same thing as previous, except you have to hold the button pressed (spoiler downwards is not automatic in manual mode)

If no result, use a PIWIS to do the acts (PIWIS replaces the button), if the system works fine now, the switch/wiring (everything between switch and control box) can be suspected. You can also, at the same time, using the PIWIS for fault codes check/clear and guided troubleshooting.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a similar problem with my 98 boxster. However, my spoiler does not go up even if I reach 75mph. I cecked my fuses and they look like they're all working. Loren, I'm also located in the Sacramento area. Is it possible if I could test the control unit using your PIWIS tester?

Thanks,

Tom

• Admin
I have a similar problem with my 98 boxster. However, my spoiler does not go up even if I reach 75mph. I cecked my fuses and they look like they're all working. Loren, I'm also located in the Sacramento area. Is it possible if I could test the control unit using your PIWIS tester?

Thanks,

Tom

Send me a PM and we can set something up.

• 10 years later...