Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Just started getting a wind whistle at 35 mph+ coming from the driver's window area near the mirror control area but it is not coming from the mirror (i'm familiar with that issue) you can only hear the whistle with the windows up and the roof open or tilted up. Had a similar problem with our 08 BMW and after many trips to the dealer they had to replace the entire door seal which finally fixed it. Anyone know of a fix for the 997?

Appreciate any input.

Edited by 500

Just started getting a wind whistle at 35 mph+ coming from the driver's window area near the mirror control area but it is not coming from the mirror (i'm familiar with that issue) you can only hear the whistle with the windows up and the roof open or tilted up. Had a similar problem with our 08 BMW and after many trips to the dealer they had to replace the entire door seal which finally fixed it. Anyone know of a fix for the 997?

Appreciate any input.

Do you think the wind noise is coming from a not snug enough fit between the top (or side) of the window and the seal, or from some other location?

If you believe that is the source of the wind noise, there are a few adjustments that are possible without removing the door panel.

Regards, Maurice.

Appreciate any input.

My driver window was broken and replaced; the replacement was misaligned and caused terrible wind noise. I had it adjusted and it did better, but I need to adjust again as there's still a slight whistle.

The misalignment caused the very top of the seal around the mirror mounting to tear where it meets the window. I plan on replacing mine; I tried taping over the tear and it almost eliminated the whistle. I'd check yours. If that doesn't work, get some seal lubricant and go to town on the door seals.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I actually placed painters tape along different palces to see if it would stop the whistle but to no avail. The weird thing is the noise only occurs with the roof open or tilted up and with the windows closed.

Question for number9ine: how will lubricant help with the wind noise?

Question for Maurice: the noise seems to be coming from around either the A pillar area of from where the mirror is attached to the window area, but I taped all along the contact points/seams but no luck.

Thanks

I actually placed painters tape along different palces to see if it would stop the whistle but to no avail. The weird thing is the noise only occurs with the roof open or tilted up and with the windows closed.

Question for Maurice: the noise seems to be coming from around either the A pillar area of from where the mirror is attached to the window area, but I taped all along the contact points/seams but no luck.

Thanks

The lubricant helps by creating a better seal between the rubber surround on the mirror mount and the inner door seal. If this seal is dried or has wax residue, etc. on it it will shrink and not seal as well, inviting the vacuum you create when opening your roof to pull air between the seals and create the noise you're looking to get rid of.

Painter's tape will probably not help you, since the air will simply be channeled around the tape and if you're taping a seal, you're eliminating its ability to form a friction bond.

Mark

Thanks

Mark's suggestion as to what the probable cause of the wind noise sounds more plausible than the one I am suggesting.

Mark's is more plausible because the noise ONLY happens when you open the roof or tilt it up.

My suggestion would have to do with making a tighter seal between the A pillar and the front vertical edge of the window by slightly adjusting the window regulator frame forward. But, if the distance between the front edge of the window and the A-pillar was too large, then the wind noise would be probably occurring all of the time, not just when you open the roof or tilt it up.

I believe there is also a product out there that causes rubber seals to expand, but I've never used it, only heard about it.

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks

The lubricant helps by creating a better seal between the rubber surround on the mirror mount and the inner door seal. If this seal is dried or has wax residue, etc. on it it will shrink and not seal as well, inviting the vacuum you create when opening your roof to pull air between the seals and create the noise you're looking to get rid of.

Painter's tape will probably not help you, since the air will simply be channeled around the tape and if you're taping a seal, you're eliminating its ability to form a friction bond.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I placed the painters tape on the outside of the mirror seals and seams and around all the window seams etc, not on the seals themselves, but unfortunately nothing helped. I had the same issue on our 08 BMW and after many many trips to the dealer replacing the entire door seal was the only thing that helped.

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

I placed the painters tape on the outside of the mirror seals and seams and around all the window seams etc, not on the seals themselves, but unfortunately nothing helped. I had the same issue on our 08 BMW and after many many trips to the dealer replacing the entire door seal was the only thing that helped.

That could be the case here too, but I'd start with the lube, then replacing the seal around the mirror mount, and then as a last resort the door seal. Another idea--try sticking a piece of thick weatherstripping foam from HD or Lowe's on/around the mirror triangle, then close the door on it and go for a drive. It'll at least help confirm for you whether or not the whistling noise is coming from the mount area or somewhere else.

Thanks

Mark's suggestion as to what the probable cause of the wind noise sounds more plausible than the one I am suggesting.

Mark's is more plausible because the noise ONLY happens when you open the roof or tilt it up.

My suggestion would have to do with making a tighter seal between the A pillar and the front vertical edge of the window by slightly adjusting the window regulator frame forward. But, if the distance between the front edge of the window and the A-pillar was too large, then the wind noise would be probably occurring all of the time, not just when you open the roof or tilt it up.

I believe there is also a product out there that causes rubber seals to expand, but I've never used it, only heard about it.

Regards, Maurice.

Hi Maurice,

I forgot to mention my car was on a lift at the porsche dealership for about 2 weeks for a replacement engine ... wonder if it put things out of aligmnet so to speak hence the wind noise?

Hi Maurice,

I forgot to mention my car was on a lift at the porsche dealership for about 2 weeks for a replacement engine ... wonder if it put things out of aligmnet so to speak hence the wind noise?

If the car was on a lift at the dealer, it was probably supported properly at the four specified points, so it's not likely that this was the cause.

I'm assuming that you have inspected the door seal carefully to make sure that there are no tears or rips or that it somehow did not get pulled out of its channel anywhere around its perimeter, especially in the area near and around the mirror.

Regards, Maurice.

Hi Maurice,

If the car was on a lift at the dealer, it was probably supported properly at the four specified points, so it's not likely that this was the cause.

I'm assuming that you have inspected the door seal carefully to make sure that there are no tears or rips or that it somehow did not get pulled out of its channel anywhere around its perimeter, especially in the area near and around the mirror.

Regards, Maurice.

I did a very careful inspection and found nothing out of place etc...the noise however was not present prior to the dealer visit :huh:

thnx

Here's a thought--when they R/R the engine they disconnect the battery. Per the owner's manual, after the battery has been disconnected the window must be re-seated and its position saved so that it operates properly. Perhaps when they did this, the window stopped slightly below where it used to, making for a poorer seal?

I suppose you could disconnect your battery and refer to your owner's manual to see if it helps.

Mark

Here's a thought--when they R/R the engine they disconnect the battery. Per the owner's manual, after the battery has been disconnected the window must be re-seated and its position saved so that it operates properly. Perhaps when they did this, the window stopped slightly below where it used to, making for a poorer seal?

I suppose you could disconnect your battery and refer to your owner's manual to see if it helps.

Mark

Might be a possibility worth investigating. There is a procedure in the factory manual that involves putting a sheet of paper between the window and the seal and closing the window on it to see how much resistance is there when you try to pull the paper out without lowering the window. However, IIRC this test was meant for how well the window seals up against the top horizontal edge of the seal.

Regards, Maurice.

Mark

Might be a possibility worth investigating. There is a procedure in the factory manual that involves putting a sheet of paper between the window and the seal and closing the window on it to see how much resistance is there when you try to pull the paper out without lowering the window. However, IIRC this test was meant for how well the window seals up against the top horizontal edge of the seal.

Regards, Maurice.

I have seen shops do this with a dollar bill...i will try this on both sides and in different spots and see if i can feel any difference between the two sides. Thanks 500>