Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Brake questions - DIY

Hello all,

I am planning on doing the brake pads on my 2003 996 and 2005 Cayenne S soon, and I wonder--

1. If the procedures for both vehicles are the same,

2. Is changing the brake fluid a must?

3. Where are the precise jacking points for both cars with a floor jack?

4. Which floor jack should I get that can be suitable for these two vehicles?

I found some DIYs from this site, but this is the first time I do brake pads, can someone please tell me what should I be watching out for?

Many thanks everyone.

Andy

Hello all,

I am planning on doing the brake pads on my 2003 996 and 2005 Cayenne S soon, and I wonder--

1. If the procedures for both vehicles are the same,

2. Is changing the brake fluid a must?

3. Where are the precise jacking points for both cars with a floor jack?

4. Which floor jack should I get that can be suitable for these two vehicles?

I found some DIYs from this site, but this is the first time I do brake pads, can someone please tell me what should I be watching out for?

Many thanks everyone.

Andy

I'm not sure about the Cayenne, but your 996 pads are an easy change. Look for any issues on your rotors, such as cracking or excessive wear that may require replacement. If you've bled the brakes in the past two years (and you don't track your car), you're within the service period for your fluid so don't worry about it. If you're experiencing squeaking and your brake wear light isn't on, you should replace the dampers. If it's just pads, get some channel locks and a rag, then grip the existing pad to push in the pistons. pull the old pad out, slide in the new pad, simple as that. Porsche would suggest replacing the retainer kit (clip and bolt), but you don't need to do so unless the clip is worn in some way.

If you ever track your car, chances are you'll be replacing pads fast enough that brake wear sensors will be a costly annoyance (ask how I know!). You may want to jumper them so the light stays off, and visually check your pads on a regular basis instead.

Get a floor jack that will lift 5000 lbs, and some jack stands. The jacking points are in your owner's manual, and are easy to spot.

Best of luck,

Mark

Use a jack which is adapted to the specific Cayenne height, so you can use them on the 996 as well, vice versa is not always possible.

Thank you for the tips. I will try locating a jack that can be used for both cars. If anyone has any suggestion on this, please do let me know.

Thanks again,

Andy

I bought the aluminum jack from Costco. Works great and have used it on 996, Boxster, and Cayman..

Did you say this is the first time you are performing a brake job...ever? or just 1st time on a Porsche?

Good Luck

I bought the aluminum jack from Costco. Works great and have used it on 996, Boxster, and Cayman..

Did you say this is the first time you are performing a brake job...ever? or just 1st time on a Porsche?

Good Luck

First time performing a brake job, ever...

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Good Luck

First time performing a brake job, ever...

Andy

I did my first brake job ever on a 996 a few weeks ago. It was VERY easy. Follow the instructions in the posts here and use some common sense and you'll have no problems. Hardest part was jockeying the jack and the axle stand around to do all four wheels. But there's even a post here for that! The actual brake work was very straightforward.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys,

Did the pads and rotors last night, the instruction I downloaded is great and very easy to follow. The hardest part is getting out the sensor clips out from the old pads. I bought a pair of Norco jack stands and the saddle is perfect and very secure for our cars, the construction is very tough and the lowest height is 9.5". I did one wheel at a time so took me a little longer. Thanks all for the valuable info.

Andy