Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hard sided storage box removal

Hi All,

I checked the archives but came up empty. Car is a '98.

I have the chance to swap my soft sided storage box behind the seats for a hard sided one with rear speakers. I have already researched that my stereo setup will work with rear speakers.

The donor car is accident damaged, the battery is dead and the top is up. I tried to remove the hard sided box from the donor car but could not maneuver it through the roll bar area, or push it out far enough backwards to get it out and over the roll bar.

Am I missing something easy here, or does the top need to come down a little bit?

I assume that my soft sided box will come out of my car easier or as easy as the hard sided box in the donor car.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Sebastian

You should be able to pull it out from the back. Holding the back of the top down are 2 cables. You have to reach down between the top and the fenders to find them. You also probably need to pop of the push rods off the to transmissions to get the clam shell up a bit to get the rear of the top up. Pull the thing out the back.

You should search the millions of top problem threads. There is probably a better description than mine. Or you can buy some jumper cables.

Regards, PK

Maybe I'm misinterpretting what you're trying to remove, but it sounds like you're talking about removing the rear storage compartment. This is really quite easy:

1) Put the top in service mode (i.e. 2" to 3" from the latch location you would normally use to lock the top in place) This is the position where the rear cover lid is in the up position.

2) Go to where the lid is (that's now in the up position) and find the wire cables attached to the rear of the cover (they're black and on each side). Pull the top of that cable off the snap in ball joint. It's easiest if you use two hands and using your thumbs pry it up and off the ball joint. It should come off relatively easily.

3) Unhook the grayish like fabric which is held in place by two little plastic slide in like plastic clips. It just slides out of those clips.

4) Now that the back of the top is completely free, push it all the way up (essentially your folding the plastic window up towards the top) and then drape the extra grayish fabric over the top.

5) Congratulations, you now have complete access to remove the storage / speaker box.