Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Importing boxster into Canada? Think again.

So i have been researching boxters for the past 4 months or so. Made up my mind a 2006 was the oldest i would go. I was well aware that i would have to pay the difference in the dollar which is about 8 cents on the dollar. I would also have to pay the provincial sales tax which is 7%. I would have to pay the government tax which is 5%. I would also have to pay the customs duty tax which is 6.2% As well as that 18.2% that is previously mentioned i would have to pay a importing fee which is about $150. An air conditioning tax which is $100. A letter of no recalls from Porsche at customs is required which can be anywhere up to $500. After the vehicle gets into Canada i would have to get the car inspected so it conforms to Canadian law which is French decals and daytime running lights.

So lets add this up.

The car i had decided on was an 06 with 15000 miles. Mint condition. $28500. The difference in the dollar would be $30848.00. Add the 5% gst = $32390.00. Add the 7% pst =$34549. Add the 6.2%=$36462. The various other fees would bring it around $37000.00. So i call Porsche to get a letter of recall to send to customs..."HOLD THE PHONE"... Seems that importing a Porsche as of 3 weeks ago just got a little more difficult if not impossible. Porsche "head office" will no longer allow any porsche into canada without it gone over with a fine tooth comb so it meets all criteria deemedo be Porsche. The minimum fee is $3500.00 and this fee is if the car is absolutely perfect. The sunvisors have to be changed out. No longer decals are allowed. The waiting period as of today is 6 months that your car you just imported into Canada. The Car will sit at a porsche facilty in Canada until it meets all porsches criteria. The $3500 is a minimum fee. The book that porsche canada has to sift through is 1/4 inch thick.

I have it well under advisement from Porsche Canada that most intelligent people will NOT try and import a porsche because its too risky. There are 2 porsches in Vancouver canada waiting to be allowed into Canada as i type. The one is perfect which will be $3500.00 plus a 6 months wait to get all the crap from Porsche head office. The other car is not perfect and the bill so far is $7000.00 extra over and above everything else with a 6 month wait.

So there you have it. Do your research. Thank god i had all my ducks in a row before i purchased from the States. It could have been an absolute nightmare.

Zedex.

Edited by zedex

Can you please post links or provide details on this information. A friend just brought his 996 into Canada last week and had no problems at all.

No idea as to your friends circumstances. But call any Porsche dealer in Canada and you will get the details. Porsche no longer wants a U.S car in Canada due to all the changes that have to be made. I called both that were in B.C which is MCL Motorcars in Vancouver as well as Speedway in Victoria B.C. The free ride is over.

I have not imported into Canada (want to say upfront) but imported 955TT into France (a lot more differences in spec and standards). I have looked at tons of websites before and came across few posts like this which look like they are written by porsche dealer who doesnt want to lose business. Asking porsche local whether it is ok to import a car is just about the "least wise" idea. I can tell you what the answer will be. And those people lie a lot. Importing a porsche is no different than importing any other car. Worldwide warranty is 2 years on new cars. It has to comply to local safety standards (not to Porsche dealer preferences). Look at parts catalog. The difference between US and Canada will be minimal. Change those and go to local certification office. Looking at what kind of junk people are still allowed to drive on roads these days it is not that difficult to meet local safety standards.

I have not imported into Canada (want to say upfront) but imported 955TT into France (a lot more differences in spec and standards). I have looked at tons of websites before and came across few posts like this which look like they are written by porsche dealer who doesnt want to lose business. Asking porsche local whether it is ok to import a car is just about the "least wise" idea. I can tell you what the answer will be. And those people lie a lot. Importing a porsche is no different than importing any other car. Worldwide warranty is 2 years on new cars. It has to comply to local safety standards (not to Porsche dealer preferences). Look at parts catalog. The difference between US and Canada will be minimal. Change those and go to local certification office. Looking at what kind of junk people are still allowed to drive on roads these days it is not that difficult to meet local safety standards.

True enough. Only one problem. In order to import a porsche from U.S to Canada. Canada customs needs a letter from porsche stating if there are any recalls or not on that car. No letter? No car is allowed into Canada.

Just brought my second boxster 987 into canada last week... so I don't know where u are getting all this from, took me 30 mins at the boarder for the paper work, got a recall letter from the the dealer in Toronto after paying them $80... Canadian tire inspection 1 hour, registered the car with plates on Friday, took another 40 mins and done.

And decals never was an issues with both boxsters i bought... Canadian tire just doesn't care....

I think you got a line from porsche canada or something... LOL

Just brought my second boxster 987 into canada last week... so I don't know where u are getting all this from, took me 30 mins at the boarder for the paper work, got a recall letter from the the dealer in Toronto after paying them $80... Canadian tire inspection 1 hour, registered the car with plates on Friday, took another 40 mins and done.

And decals never was an issues with both boxsters i bought... Canadian tire just doesn't care....

pm sent bmw. Can you give me your dealers name as i will try and deal with them. If these B.C dealers both gave me a line they must have been talking to each other. I am going to call them again and find out whats what. Why would they both tell me this? I am getting very ticked off with the lines i am getting from B.C dealers.

Don't call the dealers and tell them what u want to do... act as if u already imported the car. Also its often much easier to get the letter from the US dealers than the canadian ones.. especially in your case as it sounds.

its a simple process. now getting a lambo into canada is harder... but working on a 2008 gallardo spyder.. i want one!!!

pm sent bmw. Can you give me your dealers name as i will try and deal with them. If these B.C dealers both gave me a line they must have been talking to each other. I am going to call them again and find out whats what. Why would they both tell me this? I am getting very ticked off with the lines i am getting from B.C dealers.

You also pay the duty and GST on the red book value, not on your purchase price. For example, the Gallargdo spyder is about $160,000 used, but i would pay on the Canadian red book value at ($220,000 * 0.061) then GST ontop at * .05. Its still a deal cause i only paid $160k and not 220k for the G Car

You also pay the duty and GST on the red book value, not on your purchase price. For example, the Gallargdo spyder is about $160,000 used, but i would pay on the Canadian red book value at ($220,000 * 0.061) then GST ontop at * .05. Its still a deal cause i only paid $160k and not 220k for the G Car

Curious as to how you got the car through the border? Did you have the car on a truck trailer?Went through the border,got it looked at at crappy tire?then insured it?

Quote from canadian porsche dealer web site under "service".this is the new process, that porsche Canada want us to follow.hope this can help

Ben

Whether you purchased your Porsche from an authorized Canadian Porsche Dealer, bought it pre-owned from an individual, or imported it into Canada, your Canadian Porsche Dealer is committed to treating each customer equally.

In order to offer the same high level of service to customers with imported Porsches, all cars brought into Canada must meet the same standards of quality and safety as Porsches sold by authorized Canadian dealers. In addition, regulations require that your imported Porsche be modified to meet Canadian safety requirements within 45 days of entering the country. Porsche Dealers will assist you with both.

Once you have booked an appointment with a Porsche Dealer, your imported vehicle will receive a detailed inspection and technical compliance confirmation; once these services, together with any necessary modifications and additional services required for the technical confirmation, have been effected, it will then be eligible to be licensed for use in Canada. The MSRP for the inspection and compliance confirmation services is $1,250, including an oil and filter change (dealer may charge less). Other services, including modifications, may give rise to additional charges.

If you acquired your Porsche outside Canada, your vehicle must be inspected and modified to meet Canadian safety requirements within 45 days of its arrival in Canada.

Only your authorized Porsche Dealer in Canada can provide you with the documentation required for government authorities after performing these required modification and inspection steps.

Once you have booked an appointment with a Porsche Dealer, your imported vehicle will receive a detailed inspection and technical compliance confirmation; once these services, together with any necessary modifications and additional services required for the technical confirmation, have been effected, it will then be eligible to be licensed for use in Canada. The MSRP for the inspection and compliance confirmation services is $1,250, including an oil and filter change (dealer may charge less). Other services, including modifications, may give rise to additional charges.

Why is this process important? It ensures that your imported vehicle is legal, safe and performs like it did when it left the factory. Any potential problems are highlighted and dealt with right away, meaning that down the road, your car will run better, run more reliably and will deliver the driving pleasure you expect and deserve.

What to bring

1.Original Bill of Sale from country of origin

2.Photo ID

3.Vehicle warranty and maintenance booklet

4.Proof of payment of importation duty

5.Vehicle Import Form – Form 1

What to expect

1.You will be asked for your original bill of sale, with photo identification, in order to ensure that Porsche can honour your car's warranty in Canada.

2.Your vehicle's maintenance book will be checked to verify its service history.

3.Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd. will check the vehicle's authenticity on the global mainframe to ensure the imported vehicle was not a total loss or salvaged vehicle and to ensure the authenticity of the components fitted.

4.The oil and filter will be changed. Every Porsche leaves the production line with Mobil 1 for optimal performance and engine longevity. An oil change ensures your Porsche is lubricated to factory specifications. All other lubricants will also be checked in order that your Porsche performs as intended.

5.The tires will be checked. Porsche's tire suppliers meet stringent regulations for performance, and only N-specification tires meet the standards set by the engineers in Germany. Installing N-specification tires, if required, ensures your Porsche accelerates, brakes and corners in the manner its designers and engineers intended.

6.All modifications required to meet specific Canadian regulations and safety requirements will be performed.

7.A factory-trained technician will test-drive your imported vehicle to confirm it drives like a Porsche should.

8.Finally, your full contact details will be updated in order that Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd. can contact you in the future – to keep your car up to date with modifications that need to take place from time to time.

Quote from canadian porsche dealer web site under "service".this is the new process, that porsche Canada want us to follow.hope this can help

Ben

Whether you purchased your Porsche from an authorized Canadian Porsche Dealer, bought it pre-owned from an individual, or imported it into Canada, your Canadian Porsche Dealer is committed to treating each customer equally.

In order to offer the same high level of service to customers with imported Porsches, all cars brought into Canada must meet the same standards of quality and safety as Porsches sold by authorized Canadian dealers. In addition, regulations require that your imported Porsche be modified to meet Canadian safety requirements within 45 days of entering the country. Porsche Dealers will assist you with both.

If you acquired your Porsche outside Canada, your vehicle must be inspected and modified to meet Canadian safety requirements within 45 days of its arrival in Canada.

Only your authorized Porsche Dealer in Canada can provide you with the documentation required for government authorities after performing these required modification and inspection steps.

Why is this process important? It ensures that your imported vehicle is legal, safe and performs like it did when it left the factory. Any potential problems are highlighted and dealt with right away, meaning that down the road, your car will run better, run more reliably and will deliver the driving pleasure you expect and deserve.

What to bring

1.Original Bill of Sale from country of origin

2.Photo ID

3.Vehicle warranty and maintenance booklet

4.Proof of payment of importation duty

5.Vehicle Import Form – Form 1

What to expect

1.You will be asked for your original bill of sale, with photo identification, in order to ensure that Porsche can honour your car's warranty in Canada.

2.Your vehicle's maintenance book will be checked to verify its service history.

3.Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd. will check the vehicle's authenticity on the global mainframe to ensure the imported vehicle was not a total loss or salvaged vehicle and to ensure the authenticity of the components fitted.

4.The oil and filter will be changed. Every Porsche leaves the production line with Mobil 1 for optimal performance and engine longevity. An oil change ensures your Porsche is lubricated to factory specifications. All other lubricants will also be checked in order that your Porsche performs as intended.

5.The tires will be checked. Porsche's tire suppliers meet stringent regulations for performance, and only N-specification tires meet the standards set by the engineers in Germany. Installing N-specification tires, if required, ensures your Porsche accelerates, brakes and corners in the manner its designers and engineers intended.

6.All modifications required to meet specific Canadian regulations and safety requirements will be performed.

7.A factory-trained technician will test-drive your imported vehicle to confirm it drives like a Porsche should.

8.Finally, your full contact details will be updated in order that Porsche Cars Canada, Ltd. can contact you in the future – to keep your car up to date with modifications that need to take place from time to time.

Interesting. Thanks uncleben. This what Porsche Canada was telling me. Is it "Required" now to take your porsche

into the porsche dealer so they can hold your car hostage? This is what the Porsche guy in Vancouver was telling me. Did you "BMW Toronto" take your car into a porsche dealer or just Crappy tire to get it inspected? There is alot of information that is not clear.

Edited by zedex

• 3 weeks later...

Just do the import. I paid $50 CAN for my recall letter from my local Porsche Dealer. Get your recall letter from a US Dealer while reurning to Canada. They just run the VIN on the Porsche network to verify any outstanding recalls, take less than 5 minutes. This is just a cash grab from Porsche. It is not a requirement of the Dept of RIV to get your oil changed etc. You will have to get a Provicial Safety Inspection to insure your car. This can be done by a Porsche Dealer or any Garage liscenced to do so. All you ned Porsche to do is activate your daytime running lights with the PIWIs. Get this done in the US as well. Got my lights reprogramed the same time I got my recall letter. I think it was faster to reprogramm the lights, also had the auto door locks activated. These are all on cars '05 and up.

Stop whining and do it or pony up and pay twice as much in Canada. I found more cars available in the US to choose from. Found mine in North Carolina.

I just imported my 996 and got the same response from both dealers in Alberta. They want me to do another inspection even if I had the out of Province inspection (Alberta requirement) and pay for anything they find wrong (and the service manager laughingly added "I always find something wrong!") and they will hold the car hostage. Unbelievable. I argued on the phone with both dealers and Porsche Canada but they see nothing wrong with it.

Edited by maximus

Well. The jist of it is...A porsche dealer will lie through his teeth. I was totally blown away by all the lies. I did not want the warranty, i just wanted the recall letter. I ended up getting it from the States. BUT. If you want the warranty,porsche will hose you as well as hold your car hostage.

Edited by zedex

It sounds like it is only for porsches under warranty. Fair enough. However when I brought that upto my local dealer today he said that he has NOT been instructed to only apply newer cars to the inspection. However when I asked if he had been instructed to NOT issue recall letters he said no. So I don't see why he couldn't print it for me. So they are applying it to all cars; warranty or not

If anyone can pm me the dealer they have used in US or Canada that would be greatly appreciated. I have pmed some people but they don't want to 'tarnish their reputation with their dealer'. I won't mention any names, just ask if they can provide a letter for me. If they have done it recently they may be able/willing again.

Thanks!

Edited by maximus

It sounds like it is only for porsches under warranty. Fair enough. However when I brought that upto my local dealer today he said that he has NOT been instructed to only apply newer cars to the inspection. However when I asked if he had been instructed to NOT issue recall letters he said no. So I don't see why he couldn't print it for me. So they are applying it to all cars; warranty or not

If anyone can pm me the dealer they have used in US or Canada that would be greatly appreciated. I have pmed some people but they don't want to 'tarnish their reputation with their dealer'. I won't mention any names, just ask if they can provide a letter for me. If they have done it recently they may be able/willing again.

Thanks!

I was just at a dealer yesterday in Dorval, Quebec asking for any details I needed to know prior to importing a 997 from the US and I got the exact same story.

He said it's a very recent change and that there was no choice anymore but to do the inspection there and incur the $1250 plus visor change and some stickers. He estimated it to be around $2000 depending on which visors came with the vehicle.

He mentioned I could have them reprogram the DRL in the US otherwise this was an additional charge in Montreal.

At $2000 I will still be saving a net $20K after all is said and done. It's not that bad, unless of course they come up with other issues to fix. What could possibly be necessary to change on an '09 with under 5K miles?

• 2 weeks later...

Well. thanks to everyone here i went ahead and bought an 06 boxter from the States. I got my recall letter from a US dealers as no Canadian dealer would give me one unless i brought it in to be inspected.($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) Other than the recall letter,clear sailing.

Love the car. The dealers in Canada are SCUM.

Edited by zedex