Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

GT2 clutch slave in a 997TT?

bonehead

Just picked up an 07 TT a few weeks ago and haven't had much seat time, but I've found the clutch to be a bit tricky. Not a lot of feel with engagement. Very close to the floor, but other than that, I just can't seem to get a good read on when it hooks up. Before I got it, I was expecting the pedal feel to be firm, but it was surprisingly very, very light. My Mini's clutch actually feels firmer.

I thought I liked the ease of the pedal, maybe still do, but a friend at EVOMS mentioned this 'upgrade' to me and it sounds intriguing. Removes the power assist and gives back more 'feeling' with clutch engagement. Only downside is it makes it much heavier and harder to depress.

Anyone done this conversion? How much firmer is the clutch? I've felt clutches without an assist and I dunno if I could deal with one on a car I actually own

Input/opinions appreciated. TIA.

• Moderators

Give this a try, push the clutch pedal at least 30 times, with the engine NOT running, till the assistance is reduced till 0 ( pedal feel firm). This is the real pressure without assistance, i'm pretty sure you will need the assistance back ASAP, unless you have a bionic left leg.

Give this a try, push the clutch pedal at least 30 times, with the engine NOT running, till the assistance is reduced till 0 ( pedal feel firm). This is the real pressure without assistance, i'm pretty sure you will need the assistance back ASAP, unless you have a bionic left leg.

Well...maybe I do have a bionic leg.....bionic chicken leg, more appropriately:)

I may have been mistaken if I said the power assist was completely removed from the clutch. But I suppose that is part of my question. Does this conversion diminish the power assist or remove it completely? I agree that zero assist would be intolerable just after getting out of my driveway.

If you convert to the exact GT2 setup - then it removes it.

If you convert to some hybrid by a 3rd party then you will need to check with them.

Hmmm....thanks Loren. I'll have to find out if the setup is some bastardization. But I imagine if every GT2 out there has this, it must be somewhat usable or there would be a lot of pissed of GT2 owners with a very expensive vehicle that's virtually undrivable after a few shifts, no?

• 2 years later...

I sold my 2007 Turbo on Wednesday and just took delivery of my 2008 GT2 this evening. The clutch is very stiff, but doesn't require a bionic leg. At this time, I prefer the Turbo clutch, but the GT2 is a pleasure to drive. Not sold on the stiff clutch and short shifter, but I am sure I will get used to it. Otherwise, I am thrilled with the GT2.

Yikes. I forgot I made this thread. I actually had the conversion done at the end of 2010. My first impression while pulling out of the EVOMS parking lot was "my god, what have I done???? I can't drive this thing!":) Literally only took me a handful of times afterwards to get used to the heaviness. Honest truth, it doesn't bother me at all now. It's most certainly different than my DD (Subaru STI), but everytime I get in the turbo, it's just not a big deal. That being said, if I lived in Los Angeles and had to use this as a commuter car, I may have another opinion.

The stock 997 turbo clutch is a bit strange. It's so soft at first it's awkward. My friends with Carrera's drive my car and have a terrible time finding the "engagement point". After a few minutes they get used to it..

I don't know if I would want it stiffer though..Because I do live in L.A.. :drive:

Edited by phillipj