Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Hello to all,

I am looking to purchase some tools to get started on the 06 cayenne tts I picked up. I would love to here recommendation from you all on where you have picked up your tools and what kind and from where. Example Torx 20, etc.

I will be starting with stuff like carbon filter replacement, air filters, engine covers, side lights, airbags, interior parts, brakes, etc... there is no such thing as to much info for me :D

Hello to all,

I am looking to purchase some tools to get started on the 06 cayenne tts I picked up. I would love to here recommendation from you all on where you have picked up your tools and what kind and from where. Example Torx 20, etc.

I will be starting with stuff like carbon filter replacement, air filters, engine covers, side lights, airbags, interior parts, brakes, etc... there is no such thing as to much info for me :D

Two words... "Harbor Frieght". They will have everything you need. It amazing how many tools you can buy there for $100. They are not "Snap-On" but they work great for the occaisional DIY. You can get your TORX sets , Sockets and rachets, Torque wrench, Wobble extensions, work lights etc.

If you do search here I'm sure there are some threads here on most common tools.

http://www.harborfreight.com/

I'd start with a Metric Socket set, a set of metric end wrenches, a set of security torx bits, a set of allen wrenches, a couple screwdrivers, needlenose pliers, and a big pair of pliers like robogrips.

Then once you really start working on the car you'll learn all about dremels, drills and tap & die sets. lol

Oh, and don't forget to pick up a big *** hammer.

Thanks guys, too funny, my dads into construction all his life and frieghtharbor his exactly where he get tools from, just never occur to me for cars :unsure:

I would like to make it clear though ( :rolleyes: ) i dont have to left feet and have worked on cars back in my teens... LOL

But now that I picked up my P-Car its time for a great hobby. I have the basic's: pliers, screw drivers, metric (some, but definitly not 5.5mm) and more hammers than I know what to do with (big sledge hammer's too :) ), my favor is a crow bar about the size of half the cayenne :P

Working on picking up the durametric as well. What size robo grips? any more suggestions out there, trim pullers, exhaust tools...

Thanks again guys & gals

P.S. there is someone who post a pic of his garage with 2 white P-cars and he has a lift in his home garage, I am very jealous personally :)

BTW, I will be replacing the steering wheel, in another post someone meantioned " You need a "XZN" or "triple square" socket wrench to remove the wheel bolt. These look like the Torx wrench but with more tines(12)"

Anyone know exactly what type of socket this is? Definitly need this socket.

Edited by madburg

For snapping the interior pieces out, the little trim pullers are always handy. Another thing that I end up using quite often is my big torque wrench - not necessarily because I'm needing to torque things to spec, but because the long handle gives great leverage - so you can break loose tough bolts with ease or use it as a lug wrench. A cheater bar that slides over your end wrenches or socket driver would be just as good.