Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2000 Porsche Carrera starting issue......need help!

My girlfriend drove the Porsche today to work and back and decided to stop by the store earlier today and when she got back to the car it wouldn’t start. So I drove out there and tried to start it myself and it’s trying to start and I can hear it trying to catch but it just won’t start. I turned the ignition off and then switched it back on and can hear the fuel pump priming itself but nothing. We let it sit for a bit and still no luck. So we ended up towing the car home and tried it one more time and nothing so I decided to take a break from it. After going back out a few minutes later I figured I would try to tackle it again and took my Diagnostic Scanner with me and figured what the hell why not try to start it again before checking codes and it fired right up. No signs or warnings of anything wrong with the car and today is the first time and it’s not like the car just died while driving it was when she stopped.

Anyone know what the issue could have been? I started the car a few more times and its starting with no issues what so ever no hesitation nothing. Thanks in advance.

Johnny

Any strange occurrences with the ignition switch?

If not, then read the fault code(s).

I just went out again to test it and to get any readings using my scanner and nothing. Its not reading any faults what so ever and the car still starts up. Ignition Switch seems fine. I was wondering if it could be the fuel pump or relays? I doubt its the fuel pump though because it primes just fine than when it wouldnt start and now and with only have 50k miles on the car it shouldnt go bad that quick? What do you think?

So when it doesn't start the starter cranks but the engine does not fire?

Yea it just cranks and cranks and cranks and nothing it wont catch. Its kind of like its not sparking or throwing fuel into the cylinders. Starter and Ignition seem fine. I dont see why spark would be an issue but I havent looked or tested it so Im thinking its either a relay or pump but at that mileage is this common?