Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fuel Odor / Smell - Front of Vehicle

2002 / 986S / Tiptronic / 98K miles

I’ve tried to search this area but have not yet found what I need.

A few days ago I noticed a fuel odor coming from the fuel filler area. After a drive I can smell fuel in that area and at the front passenger tire area. I’ve not seen any visible leakage from the exterior. There is no smell within the vehicle when the windows are closed. No CELs thrown and none pending per Duramentric SW in this area.

When I got home yesterday, it was a little warm outside, and it seems the radiator fans were blowing some of the gas fumes under the front of the vehicle. So I can assume the problem is localized to that area.

Can you provide me, in rank order, where to search for the source of the leak or where I might start? I was thinking something came loose from the fuel filler area. How do I gain access to the filler neck, assuming I start there?

I have the Bentley manual but it seems pretty useless in that area. DIY anyone?

As always, thanks for your help.

R.

Edited by rprieto

Is this thing on?

So I ended up taking it to the dealer. There was a crack at the top of the sender and it had to be replaced. I saw it but did not have my camera to snap a photo.

Bailed out my car after forking up the $$$. Accelerated on the freeway and the the throttle cut in and out. Took it back of course.

The service shop does not work weekends. I was told some contaminants must be in the fuel lines.

The photo is not the actual photo however, circled in red, is the location of the small crack at the top of my Fuel Sending Unit. The sender is located under the battery. Remove the battery, then remove the access panel underneath it to gain access. See item 5 of the 2nd photo.

I was told fuel filled the small well at the top of the sending unit.

post-35410-1254720418_thumb.jpg

post-35410-1254720435_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Stefan, the fuel tank and sender/pump unit sits in the open air, fully shielded from the inside car body. It sounds reasonable, to me, the smell is more noticeable outside than inside the car when completely closed.

You have to remove the access panel located under the battery first. Once removed and still leaking, then the fuel odor will fill the inside cabin if the outside vents are open. I believe there may have been a hint of vapor entering the car but way too little to be noticeable.

I just got the car back tonight and all is well !!

I was told, by Walters Porsche in Riverside, CA that the problem was resolved after cleaning the contaminants found at the bottom of the fuel tank, as well as the fuel pump screen. They also flushed out the "rail". I assume that to be the fuel path?

For higher mileage cars, as in my case, I might suggest you thoroughly clean out the tank before putting everything back together.

So now I can go back to my planned DIY. Front brakes and rotors were just received from Sunset Porsche.

Edited by rprieto

• 4 weeks later...

While replacing a window regulator tonight, I had the Batt disconnected, so I pulled it, and the plate it sits on, and Yep, the "well" on top of the sender is full of fuel. I don't see and cracks in it, so I'll try tightening the lock ring. Funny, but you would think this would cause a CEL on the evap system wouldn't you? I'm still getting between 26 and 27mpg commuting to work, but notice a fuel smell outside the car when running, like when you get out to check the mail. Seems as above the fans are blowing air under the car and spreading the smell.

When I used my fingers to tighten the ring, I got between 1/8 and 1/4 turn on it. I snugged it down good, but thinking I may have to remove it soon didn't want to crank down on it. There was evidence that fuel had sloshed from the top the pump to the top of the tank. I used a rag to whipe what I could and a dozen q-tips to clean up the rest. The battery is in it, I'll drive it a few days and pull the battery again. I checked every where I could see, and I didn't see any cracks in it. I also used a small screwdriver to "scratch the surface, didn't feel any cracks.

I was trying to think of a way to run the fuel pump with the battery removed. I'm allergic to sparks around an open fuel tank. Butt, may try a battery charger to provide power if there is still a leak so I can try to find it.

Will let you guys know what I find this next weekend.

Some soul searching, and I actually read the Bently's. There isn't a section on doing this for 2002+ because there is no fuel filter to replace, but the <2002 section says this thing is suppossed to be tightened to 52ft/lbs or 70nm. Mine was less than finger tight. It's a plastic ring screwed into a plastic tank, is the tank/sender setup the same <2002 to 2002+?

It also says to use tool VW 3217 (no picture in the book) to tighten it. Does renn-tech have a tool loaner program? Any one have one in the garage?

Thanks, Chuck

• 2 months later...

An update, replaced the sender and the roung ring gasket tonight. Follow the info in the Bently's for the earlier cars. The later 986's have one high pressure line, one vent line, and one electrical connector on top. As you start to remove it the power lead to the pump is high on the passenger side and it T shaped, can't put it back on wrong. As you slowly wiggle and raise the sender, there are two lines that go to the sender, they are tye wrapped together and there is little wiggle room. On my initial look it seemed one was metal banded on, but it was just to the 90 degree connector which has a squeeze connector.

My sender was cracked below where the high pressure line connects, hard to see, but there was dirt collected in the crack.

When I was finished and started the car, as you would expect, there was some air in the lines, and about 10 seconds after I started it it cut out and sputtered, then ran fine.

Have a fire extinguisher handy. Use a flourecent drop light, not an regular drop light, minimize the fire hazzard.

Do this with a low fuel level, I ran mine till the "feed me" light came on, was still several inches of fuel in the tank. I did use a flashlight to check the tank, nothing loose in there. If you drop the wire or the pump to sender hose it's no big deal, pleanty of room to stick your hand in there and get it.

The sender and gasket was about $170 from sunset with shipping. Much less than the other online sites.

Edited by N41EF

• 6 years later...

Fuel Sending Unit Cracked... again!

First occurred after 7 years in 2009.  I just confirmed my Fuel Sender is cracked again and in EXACTLY the SAME PLACE.

What is surprising is this is almost 7 years since I had the first one replaced.

This time I will go DIY.... anyone live near Corona, CA? :-)

Sunset seems to have the best price today at $232.33 plus tax and shipping.

http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oe-porsche/99662083202

Edited by rprieto
Clarification