Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Color Matched Paint, Does it look better?

Hey everyone, just looking for some input/advice.

I recently bumped a curb and chipped one of the rims on my Boxster pretty bad so Im going to have a local paint shop here strip them down and paint all of them. I will attach a picture of the car but its a dark blue with a blue interior. I already have the mirrors and vents color matched and had the taillights and headlights smoked with a light black and clear coated.

Originally I was just going to get them painted back to the silver color they were originally but a friend mentioned that I should paint them the same color of the car (possibly with a silver lip around the edge).

That would definitely keep them looking cleaner longer! Additionally the paint shop said they were willing to paint some of my interior pieces for no charge (I was thinking the dash peice around the AC controls, the peice around the gauge cluster, the door storage compartment covers... any other suggestions?). Im gonna get the car on jack stands this weekend and start taking her apart to hopefully have the shop paint them up next week.

What do you guy/gals think about the wheels matching the color of the body paint? What about the interior plastic trim pieces?

Im also planning on painting the calipers while i have the wheels off...

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

- Ben

post-49300-1254854316_thumb.jpg

post-49300-1254854348_thumb.jpg

Please do not paint your wheels the same color as your car :o . It looks sharp the way it is. The "matchin"g wheel look is very cheap and tacky IMHO. I like the idea of painting some of the interior peices. Just make sure the paint shop does a proper job painting plastic.. If not the paint will soon chip and look like crap.

Good luck with whatever you decide :D

Please do not paint your wheels the same color as your car :o . It looks sharp the way it is. The "matchin"g wheel look is very cheap and tacky IMHO. I like the idea of painting some of the interior peices. Just make sure the paint shop does a proper job painting plastic.. If not the paint will soon chip and look like crap.

I was thinking along the same lines as you, but locals here keep suggesting that it might look good... Right now im planning on going with the silver. I was hoping that someone else here in the forum may have done it so I could take a look.

I did a quick Google search and it doesn't appear that anyone has ever done it!

I have seen cars in L.A with matching wheel paint. To me it makes the car look very cheap (and very Japanese tuner.)

Of course Black and silver may be the exception (on a black or silver car) Your car looks great with the silver 997 wheels.

Go with your gut and not what your friends say. That's my 2 cents anyway..

:cheers:

I was thinking along the same lines as you, but locals here keep suggesting that it might look good... Right now im planning on going with the silver. I was hoping that someone else here in the forum may have done it so I could take a look.

I did a quick Google search and it doesn't appear that anyone has ever done it!

Here is are two sets of Cayman S wheels that come painted from the factory, just to give you an idea of this particular effect/paint scheme

post-6627-1254873213_thumb.jpg

post-6627-1254873245_thumb.jpg

post-6627-1254873268_thumb.jpg

I personally like the effect of the gray/dark color, not so much with the red, but it's a matter of taste. It does give the car a more "custom" look.

The wheels are different than your "lobster claws" but maybe if you could find somebody who is really good at Adobe Photoshop, you could experiment and get a good idea of what they would look like and then decide.

Regards, Maurice.

I don't know that I agree with the "don't do it" opinion. My friend has a black Carrera S with 19" lobster forks in black and it looks stunning. I don't have a picture of his car, but it is nearly identical to the one pictured here:

post-10990-1254924177_thumb.jpg

Agreed. That is what I said in my previous post....

Of course Black and silver may be the exception (on a black or silver car)

I think I agree for the most part, unless the car is black or silver the color can look a little "ricey".

Although I like the custom look I want to keep the elegance if the car as well.

For now I think im going to stick with the silver.

*** I think I will paint the brake calipers though. I'm thinking ill paint a select few pieces of the interior as well... and suggestions?

I think I agree for the most part, unless the car is black or silver the color can look a little "ricey".

*** I think I will paint the brake calipers though. I'm thinking ill paint a select few pieces of the interior as well... and suggestions?

G2 brand caliper paint yields excellent results.

My friend Boxtaboy and I did his calipers on his silver '01 986 in red and they came out so nice that G2 put his pics on their website.

post-6627-1254972623_thumb.jpg

Did my '97 Ocean Blue Boxster in yellow and I like the look with dark blue Porsche lettering :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

post-6627-1254972523_thumb.jpg

post-6627-1254972566_thumb.jpg

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

hey love the break calipers, as for your rims i have the same exact rims with a black finish my boxster is black on black anyway and i think the black looks amazing, the red on your picture eh not a big fan to be quiet honest but to each his own, here is a pic of my rims with the black finish maybe youll like it, just to give you some ideas...

cimg6644q.jpg

My friend has a black Carrera S with 19" lobster forks in black and it looks stunning. I don't have a picture of his car, but it is nearly identical to the one pictured here:

ROFL at that picture ... it's worth painting your wheels if it gets you drive-up service to your personal jet and a slender blonde grabbing your a$$!!!

post-37443-1255114665.jpg

ROFL at that picture ... it's worth painting your wheels if it gets you drive-up service to your personal jet and a slender blonde grabbing your a$$!!!

I obviously missed the most important part of that photo! I've got to go get some help!!! :(

Regards, Maurice.

I obviously missed the most important part of that photo! I've got to go get some help!!! :(

Regards, Maurice.

haha, I love the picture!! I missed that as well!

The black rims do look nice, but im thinking if I do blue it will be too much.

The paint looks great on the calipers, I think im going to order some tonight and hopefully it will be here by the time I pull my rims off to have painted.

***Does anyone have any experience with painting/colormatching some of the interior panels? The shop thats painting my rims has agreed to paint any panels free of charge, If I decide to have the interior painted I dont want to under do it and have it look incomplete or over do it and have it look cheesy! haha

I don't know that I agree with the "don't do it" opinion. My friend has a black Carrera S with 19" lobster forks in black and it looks stunning. I don't have a picture of his car, but it is nearly identical to the one pictured here:

those rims already look great, you dont need to enhance, it might look cheesy!

haha, I love the picture!! I missed that as well!

The black rims do look nice, but im thinking if I do blue it will be too much.

The paint looks great on the calipers, I think im going to order some tonight and hopefully it will be here by the time I pull my rims off to have painted.

***Does anyone have any experience with painting/colormatching some of the interior panels? The shop thats painting my rims has agreed to paint any panels free of charge, If I decide to have the interior painted I dont want to under do it and have it look incomplete or over do it and have it look cheesy! haha

Do a search here for a couple of threads a little more than 1 year ago. Chris in NH did his interior in a flat ocean blue metallic, and another poster had his interior pieces painted (professionally, IIRC) in Arctic Silver. Nice pics in those threads, if you can find them.

Regards, Maurice.

I think the blue is dark enough that he can get away with the look; it would be over the top on a light color. With regard to the red wheels, I've seen a white Cayman S with red highlights, including the same highlighted wheels...reminiscent of the '73 Carrera RS's.

Geez, I post the picture and didn't catch the background action either!

Edited by jmatta

I think the blue is dark enough that he can get away with the look; it would be over the top on a light color. With regard to the red wheels, I've seen a white Cayman S with red highlights, including the same highlighted wheels...reminiscent of the '73 Carrera RS's.

Geez, I post the picture and didn't catch the background action either!

So im taking the wheels in today, i decided to have them sand blasted and powder coated instead of painted. I found a shop in Scottsdale Arizona that guarantees their work. Ill take some before and after shots once its complete!

Ive also decided for the most part "against" getting the interior trim pieces painted. I'm afraid to much will look cheesy and too little will look unfinished. I think I will have the rear bumper pads painted, the gauge cluster ring and the flip up armrests in the doors.

-Ben

G2 brand caliper paint yields excellent results.

My friend Boxtaboy and I did his calipers on his silver '01 986 in red and they came out so nice that G2 put his pics on their website.

post-6627-1254972623_thumb.jpg

Did my '97 Ocean Blue Boxster in yellow and I like the look with dark blue Porsche lettering :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

post-6627-1254972523_thumb.jpg

post-6627-1254972566_thumb.jpg

Regards, Maurice.

Gents,

Just tried the G2 Caliper paint with horrible results!!!

i threw up a quick post on my experience... I couldn't believe how poorly the G2 turned out! I'm glad you didn't have the same experience i did..

• 4 weeks later...

i own an 07 c2s and have sport design wheels in seal grey, while the car itself is arctic silver. i think it looks great, but then again, it's mine ;-)

i tend to agree with most of the other posts; it works on silver/grey or black cars, but not much else.

post-48560-1257811059_thumb.jpg