Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

How To Change Engine Air Filter

WOW! I did this last night. Took me over 2.5 hours! I was working S L O W again, and did not even drink a beer between steps. Plus, I detailed (303 Protectant) and vacuumed some of the carpeted parts before I buttoned everything up.

Keep in mind, in almost 4 years of ownership, I have never seen my engine! It took me a good 45 minutes to do the thing with the rear top to put in the service position (I even used a tape measure to measure the 60 cm required distance- in all fairness it took me 5 minutes to find a metric tape measure!), remove the thick padded carpet cover (wow, that thing is thick), Bose speaker box (I had a very had time figuring out how to unclip the speaker wire connection) and then remove the metal engine bay cover.

The next part was not too bad until I tried putting the new clean filter back into the air box holder. This took a good 20 minutes to figure out how to line up the oval shape in the filter with the oval shape in the air box holder. I'm a tall guy with long arms, I don't know how vertically challenged people can work on these cars!

At this point I was so exhausted, I took a break, had dinner (rigatoni with a nice meat sauce) and then went back into the garage to put the engine cover back on, and reverse the top out of the service position.

The filter was pretty dirty. I had the dealer do this 2 years ago. Right around 17,000 miles on each filter. Next time I think I could do the whole job in about 1 hour.

The best part was on the "test drive" with my 9 year old daughter. She asked me, "Daddy, do different Porsche cars get to drive different speed limits?" I said, "No, we all have to follow the posted speed limits." Then she says, "Awww, that's too bad, Daddy!" :)

Thanks for the help you guys gave me. Two years ago the dealer charged me over $130 for an air filter change during my yearly oil change. This was also a great opportunity for me to become one with the Boxster.