Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

K&N cold air intake

Do you really think the engine needs more air or a new airfilter?? Nope! The computer will only let so much air in. Plus the fact of running an airfilter flush with oil. Not on a Porsche motor. I run the KN on my atv's. No issues with ATV's. The Porsche motor is dialed in. It needs :rolleyes: nothing. You're wasting your time and asking for problems!!! Just my take. E

Leave the thing alone. I have had nothing but poor experiences with the K & N fillters, on other cars not the Porsche and I am sure that same would hold true for the Porsche. On the other two cars, Chevy Camaro and Chevy Truck I noticed NO performance improvements and had two failures that only by luck did not cause significant damage to the engine or in the case of the truck the turbo.

The oil gets on the air sensor and can ruin it.

Tony C

What if we use the K&N air filter but do not apply their red oil on the filter element after cleaned? Would this be same as the stock filter in term of filtering and flow restriction?

The reason I ask because I replaced the stock filter with the K&N filter for over 2000 miles and have not noticed anything different.

In my opinion, it is time consuming and pain in the rear to clean the K&N filter. BTW, my car is 2000 C2.

The oil is the main thing that filters out contaminants. You would not want to run it wthout oil unless you don't care about your engine. Fabspeed states that their BMC filter is run "By all Cup Car teams". Big freakin deal. Cup car teams also rebuild the engine frequently. The oiled filters are not as efficient as the paper filters..

Just stick with the stock filter and replace it at the right intervals. You will never have to worry about your MAF etc...

Thanks for the tip. I already spent about $80 for K/N filter and only used it only for about 2000 miles. For your suggestion, I like to put back the original air filter but in the same time don't want to waste my money that I spent on the K&N filter.

Do you think I could sell this K&N filter to someone or just toss it away? BTW, my 2000 C2 has new engine put in at 47K miles and now it has 57K miles. According to the Rusknak dealer in Pasadena, the original engine has porosity in the block which caused oil and water mixed up. I heard that you had big problem on your 2000 and sold it. Did your 2000 had the same problem of mine?

• Upvote 1

Yes but I'm not quite sure what caused the oil/water intermix. Could have been a cracked head, Freeze plug or catastrophic water pump failure which caused severe sudden overheating.

Glad you have a new engine. Sure you could sell the filter. Someone will surely buy it from you.

Do you live in Pasadena?

:cheers:

Edited by phillipj

I live in Corona. Did you get the 997 Porsche and what year?

:D

I got the 2006 S Carrera. It had 18k miles when I got it. It's like a new car. Everything is spotless. I love it. It's an awesome car. Doing my first maintenance this weekend. Changing air filter and pollen filter. Only thing i have done to it is changed out the orange side markers to smoked and added the colored Porsche crest wheel caps.

It's metallic black so it keeps me busy keeping it perfect. :o

Not going to mod this one. Will keep for 2 years and then get the next gen

Do you really think the engine needs more air or a new airfilter?? Nope! The computer will only let so much air in. Plus the fact of running an airfilter flush with oil. Not on a Porsche motor. I run the KN on my atv's. No issues with ATV's. The Porsche motor is dialed in. It needs :rolleyes: nothing. You're wasting your time and asking for problems!!! Just my take. E

The computer has no control over the amount of air that gets to throttle body.

I live in Corona. Did you get the 997 Porsche and what year?

:D

I got the 2006 S Carrera. It had 18k miles when I got it. It's like a new car. Everything is spotless. I love it. It's an awesome car. Doing my first maintenance this weekend. Changing air filter and pollen filter. Only thing i have done to it is changed out the orange side markers to smoked and added the colored Porsche crest wheel caps.

It's metallic black so it keeps me busy keeping it perfect. :o

Not going to mod this one. Will keep for 2 years and then get the next gen

I am happy for you... :jump: Black is the most beautiful color for sport car. Can you share this pictures of your car with us?