Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

eBay porsche headers any good?

Very good quality/price. Should improve performance. I have tiptronic and I had to move the cooling pipe.

Sergiu

Edited by sergiu

hey thanks for the help, do i need to change my muffler also? or can i just add this to my stock muffler/ exhaust. And how is the installation i cant find any DIY's on it...can you tell me where it goes how to install, any pictures with it installed ?

Sergiu, I have had the same headers for a year now. Not installed. :) Just never got around to it.

Did you put them on a stock Boxster? Did you measure any performance improvements?

I have the tip too. Are you saying I will need a new customised cooling pipe? By pipe, you mean a rubber hose?

You might do some research on them here. The conclusion I came to was Porsche got it pretty good with there stock headers. People dynio'd different headers over the years. With headers alone they might give you 5 hp...or steal 5+ hp.

I'm a little skeptical that a single set of headers could possibly be tuned for all motors, 2.5L - 3.2L. That an over 20% dif. in the airflow & pressure. There's just a lot more involved than equal length pipes....a little finely tuned back pressure, the right amount of scavenging, and lots of other stuff I don't fully understand.

They're shiny though.

Regards, pk

Edited by pk2

msediqi: what year is your Boxster?

Jinster:I put it on the 3.6 engine after I melted the 2.7 headers. For the tip I cut the pipe, move'it down and put a rubber hose. If you have a 97 2.5 I would not change it as they are very similar to 996 ones - you will not get much gain.

pk: Unless you have a 2.5 you will gain high end/power regardless. The back pressure may help you at the low end , but limit you high end valuable hp's. The lenghtof the pipes is much longer and you eliminate the cats on the engines other then 2.5's. Now you have to deal with that. I installed NHP midpipes with sportcats and moved the o2 sensors there. Passed the colorado emission even when was running too rich.

bmohr: I can post the name of the seller that I got my 2 sets from .

I'll post pics when I get the car up

Sergiu

Edited by sergiu

What are you trying to achieve by installing them?

What kind of driving do you do? Any track time? What other mods have you planned?

I ask because it is entirely possible to improve a Boxster engine by up to 100HP but it isn't cheap and some advertised improvements don't interact well with others or work well till others are done. Some advertise improvements but make the normal driving range less pleasant. And many are outright frauds.

It is far better to have a plan and to follow the path that someone else has successfully followed than to just start off blindly adding parts from the 'net. Not to mention that the first things you may want to do are to increase the reliability of the engine so it could handle the extra push.

So lets see what my path might be...

IMS bearing replace.

Front motor mount replace.

Throttle body cleaning

Water pump replace

AOS replace

Displacement increase via complete lower engine rebuild including liners, pistons, rods

Now we have increased reliability and increased torque

Pedro's Intake TurboThrust (note this is the first thing I'm doing to the intake or exhaust)

Upper engine rebuild including polishing

Now we get to exhaust, headers, cats

And finally a flash

Now we have an engine optimized for how we mod'ed it and the way we drive.

Or do it all at once for about $18k

Of course we assume you'll upgrade the stopping power and handling somewhere along the way and take a set of Driver's Education courses so you learn to wring the most out of what you have...safely.

Note how far down the list the headers are. And, BTW, I've read many stories of people attempting to install then and breaking off bolts in the process. Make sure you have the ability to get broken bolts out of the block before you attempt headers install.

More here

Hey mike thanks for the info...basically what i am fist trying to achieve is making my stock exhaust louder..mainly i wanted to put straight pipes in, which would be an easy job for any other car, but nope never an easy job for a porsche...so im trying to figure out what my alternatives are in increasing my exhaust sound without paying an arm and a leg for an aftermarket exhaust...

It this case look for Pedro muffler mod; worked for me on the 2.7 - 2 x 1 inch holes each side. I'll get a pic soon.

No investment.

Sergiu

Edited by sergiu

Hey mike thanks for the info...basically what i am fist trying to achieve is making my stock exhaust louder..mainly i wanted to put straight pipes in, which would be an easy job for any other car, but nope never an easy job for a porsche...so im trying to figure out what my alternatives are in increasing my exhaust sound without paying an arm and a leg for an aftermarket exhaust...

In that case I would simply recommend an exhaust auxilliary bypass (which is the same principle used by Porshce on their PSE switchable exhaust option).

Typical examples can be seen, heard and purchased from people such as Oettle in Ulm, Germany. But I'm sure it can be done locally fairly easily.

See http://cgi.ebay.de/Porsche-Boxster-986-Aus...=item4399d1d4b3

or http://www.oettle-autodienst.de/pageID_4231071.html