Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2003 Boxster S rattle on cold start for 1.5 secs.

I have a 2003 Boxster S that sometimes has a loud metallic rattle that seems to come from the driver side of the engine and lasts for about a 1.5 secs. It only happens sometimes when the car hasn't been cranked for about 24 hrs or more. Other than this, the engine sounds and runs perfectly. One other note, I noticed this after changing the oil with 0w40. I've only had the car a couple of weeks, so I'm not sure what oil was in it before. I'm not sure what changing the oil would have to do with it if anything.

I was reading where someone else had a similar issue, and someone said it sounded like the chain tensioner is leaking down. That didn't turn out to be their issue, but I thought it could be mine. If this could be it, how can I know/test? And would that mean it needs a new tensioner, or just pads?

Any input would be appreciated.

If the noise doesn't change I wouldn't worry about it, sounds like a hydraulic lifter bleeding down over night.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. It's pretty loud and sharp and it taps with the rhythm of the engine as it increases on initial fire up and then slows into idle, like a lifter would, but It's louder than the typical lifter tap that I have heard on some cars. It almost sounds like the exhaust is tapping against something. At least that is the type of sound. It's a pretty sharp sound. Not really a muffled tapping. But if it were the exhaust, it should be consistent and not after the car has sat for a day or two. I've never heard a timing chain rattle in a Porsche, so I don't know how muffled it is. Maybe I can try to use my iPhone to record the sound the next time it happens.

Thanks again for your input.

I have a 2003 Boxster S that sometimes has a loud metallic rattle that seems to come from the driver side of the engine and lasts for about a 1.5 secs. It only happens sometimes when the car hasn't been cranked for about 24 hrs or more. Other than this, the engine sounds and runs perfectly. One other note, I noticed this after changing the oil with 0w40. I've only had the car a couple of weeks, so I'm not sure what oil was in it before. I'm not sure what changing the oil would have to do with it if anything.

I was reading where someone else had a similar issue, and someone said it sounded like the chain tensioner is leaking down. That didn't turn out to be their issue, but I thought it could be mine. If this could be it, how can I know/test? And would that mean it needs a new tensioner, or just pads?

One other thing that I should mention is that the car currently has 42,600 miles, and it had the engine replaced with a rebuilt engine by Porsche under warranty in 2007 at about 26,500 miles, so this engine only has about 16,000 miles on it. I don't know what all they replace in rebuilt engines.

One other thing that I should mention is that the car currently has 42,600 miles, and it had the engine replaced with a rebuilt engine by Porsche under warranty in 2007 at about 26,500 miles, so this engine only has about 16,000 miles on it. I don't know what all they replace in rebuilt engines.

Well.. I had my recorder ready this morning to record it. It started with no odd sound. If it were leaking down, it should have made the sound today. I didn't start it yesterday. I wonder if it could be a starter issue? Hmmmmmmm(scratching my head).

Try and record the noise then post it. Hopefully we can figure something out.

Thanks. Ever since I've tried recording it, the thing sounds wonderful. Right now, all I have are recordings of a perfect Boxter start up. Imagine that. Maybe I should just permanently attach the iPhone under the car. Ha.

• 3 weeks later...

Well..... I think I figured this out, so I thought I'd update the post just in case someone else has this issue. I checked my power steering fluid a few days ago and found that it was very low. I added fluid and the sound on start up hasn't come back since. Imagine that.

Well..... I think I figured this out, so I thought I'd update the post just in case someone else has this issue. I checked my power steering fluid a few days ago and found that it was very low. I added fluid and the sound on start up hasn't come back since. Imagine that.

Interesting, My car has the same issue... I havent checked the power steering fluid yet but ill do it tonight.

Does anyone have any insight as to what adding power steering fluid would change to correct this issue?

Respectfully,

Ben

Interesting, My car has the same issue... I havent checked the power steering fluid yet but ill do it tonight.

Does anyone have any insight as to what adding power steering fluid would change to correct this issue?

Respectfully,

Ben

Actually, it's back so it didn't actually fix it. Dang! It just happens occasionally and every time I try to record it, it doesn't happen. I am guessing it is the starter sticking occasionally and not pulling back quickly enough.

• 1 month later...
It sounds like a lifter to me too, and it's very common. What oil are you using? I found that by switching to a 5W-40 almost completely eliminated it on my 3.4 C2.

Really? A valve lifter would be that loud? I am using 0W-40. Come to think of it, it did start after an oil change. Does 5W make that much difference? I guess it's just a little thicker so they don't bleed down as much?

• 3 weeks later...