Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Ignition Switch Install difficulties

Greetings all,

'98 Boxster given to (competent) non-Porsche tech to have a few things done. One item was to replace the electrical portion of the Ignition Switch as preventive maintenance (12 years old and 60k miles) with a new Audi part #4A0 905 849 B. He got the old switch out with no problem, but stated that the new switch would not insert all the way in and he did not want to force it. Being that I was unavailable to call before I came to pick it up and he knew it was not a pressing issue, he buttoned it up with the old switch and asked me to find out what may have been the problem so we could replace it later.

That was June and of course I never asked anyone, so here I am!! :o .

Now the car will not turn over when turning the key the first three or four times I try to do so. It is probably not the clutch micro-switch as that was one of the items he replaced in June as part of the maintenance.

So.... is there any trick to getting it in all the way? (glad this isn't PPBB as I would get ten childish/stupid answers to that question!!).

Regards,

• Admin
Greetings all,

'98 Boxster given to (competent) non-Porsche tech to have a few things done. One item was to replace the electrical portion of the Ignition Switch as preventive maintenance (12 years old and 60k miles) with a new Audi part #4A0 905 849 B. He got the old switch out with no problem, but stated that the new switch would not insert all the way in and he did not want to force it. Being that I was unavailable to call before I came to pick it up and he knew it was not a pressing issue, he buttoned it up with the old switch and asked me to find out what may have been the problem so we could replace it later.

That was June and of course I never asked anyone, so here I am!! :o .

Now the car will not turn over when turning the key the first three or four times I try to do so. It is probably not the clutch micro-switch as that was one of the items he replaced in June as part of the maintenance.

So.... is there any trick to getting it in all the way? (glad this isn't PPBB as I would get ten childish/stupid answers to that question!!).

Regards,

Ignition switch replacement (with pics)

Replacing the ignition switch (with many replies)

All 9x6 series cars use the same switch.

Hi Loren,

Yes, thank you, that is exactly where I got the instructions for the technician, and he had no problem doing any of it except getting the electrical portion to fit in all the way. So we are covered on the basic "how to", I just need to know why the switch would not fit in place. Should he apply a little force? He was reluctant to do so, and thought we should inquire about it before trying again.

Thanks!

Sebastian

Edited by spg356

I've replaced 3 of these in my 2003. If your are having trouble mating the switch to the ignition lock, make sure the slot in the switch for the key is aligned with the lock (been there). If that doesn't do it, make sure the retaining screw is far enough out that it isn't dragging and that there aren't any burrs. Should slide right in without pressure. If you are trying to connect the wiring harness to the switch, make sure the square and round pegs are lined up with the appropriate holes. It can be tricky when you're on your back. Again, this shouldn't require much pressure if everything is aligned.

Good luck.

Duane

Mystery Solved B) !!!!

I went today to see the tech, and he pulled the existing switch in about two minutes (so his ability was not the issue). I had the replacement switch with me and we compared the two. I now understood what he was talking about. Existing switch on right, the attempted replacement on the left.

See photo below:

28ho6ly.jpg

Turns out, my '98 had the entire switch replaced with a newer part (mechanical AND electrical) before I bought it, and it needed the newer electrical switch!

Thanks to all who replied :renntech: