Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Best parts for a 3.4 conversion

Still trying to line up the details for putting a 3.4 engine into my '98 Boxster, and I thought I'd ask the Board - which additional parts (and what brands) should I buy for the conversion?

I know I need a new clutch, and it's probably worthwhile to get new headers/cats as well. How about a new muffler?

This will be a street/track car, so I don't want a racing clutch, but I would welcome other opinions.

Go for the SPEC 3 clutch. It's cheaper than the 2+ and can better handle the power. It's also lighter on the left leg than the Sachs sport or even standard clutch.

I went with headers, cats, and a Borla exhaust. If you want to have a conversation with anyone while driving, skip the Borla. If you want the coolest sounding car within 1000 miles, put it on. The Borla is for the S and will take some clever work to secure it, but it's not hard. It's supposed to connect to the transmission with I think 4 bolts. I had a bunch of nuts and a single bolt to connect it there. It works fine. You'll need to get the headers to make it fit.

The cats are a good idea, but not absolutely necessary from what I understand.

You may want to consider a 6 speed transmission and axles from an S. They're stronger so you're less likely to snap one in an autocross or when going over a speed bump like I did. However, I track the car a lot so that likely had more to do with it than the speed bump.

You're going to love the feel of the car with the extra horses.

HTH

-Michael

Have you first considered the rules restrictions on modifications placed by the organization that sponsors the track events you plan to run? Doing something to change the stock characteristics of the car can place you as ineligible for the class where most other Boxsters are running.

It can be as much fun to see how well your car can do driving against people with similarly equipped cars because then the driver is the difference and you focus on having to increase your skills in order to do better against them instead of just throwing $ at making the car be the performer.

Have you first considered the rules restrictions on modifications placed by the organization that sponsors the track events you plan to run? Doing something to change the stock characteristics of the car can place you as ineligible for the class where most other Boxsters are running.

It can be as much fun to see how well your car can do driving against people with similarly equipped cars because then the driver is the difference and you focus on having to increase your skills in order to do better against them instead of just throwing $ at making the car be the performer.

I have no plans to go racing with my car - it is, in my eyes at least, too nice to turn into a racecar. I do plan to do DEs with the car, but I could care less what group or class they lump me in with.

The only thing that I feel that my car is lacking now is power - if I install the 3.4 engine, it would be perfect, and I would plan to keep the car for a very long time.

Steve,

You might want to send a message directly to Tholyoak, OR, search his posts on engine swaps.

As far as I can recall, he is the most experienced on the Boxster swaps.

Take care,

Roy T

or Ed(Arizona) on PPBB

If you're set on a 3.4, you can do things one of two ways: either keep your 5.2 DME and cable throttle, and use a non E-gas 3.4 (with 3.4 cable throttle body) and run the 3.4 map in your 5.2 DME, or upgrade to a 7.2 DME and E-gas 3.4. If you're going to swap DMEs, I would go for a 3.6, or even better, a 3.8 and use a 7.8 DME with E-gas. You will need to update your ABS controller along with the 7.2 or 7.8 DME if you want to retain functional cruise control.

You'll certainly need a stronger clutch, and a Stage 3 SPEC would be great. If you wind up with a 3.6 or 3.8 you'll need Cayman headers and midpipes. The 6-speed gearbox, while certainly a stouter box, does have its downsides as far as gear ratios go. Many prefer the 5-speed's drivability, but you need to be aware of the fact that it is not as strong a box as the 6-speed.