Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacing the CDR23 Head unit with something more recent, any options?

Here are a couple of questions that I hope someone can help me answer. I HAVE searched these and other forums but haven't really found anything definitive and nothing was very current. Almost every post was a few years old.

I have an 04 Cayenne S with the CDR23 Head unit without a CD changer (made by Becker i believe) Anyway, I know that it's difficult/expensive to get an iPod(or any external audio source) hooked up to these for the various reasons mentioned in other threads which leads me to the following questions:

1. Has anyone found an easy way to hook up an iPod/iPhone to the unit (audio only would be fine using the ipod display for info) I would just like to avoid using the FM thing. Ive seen the Denison stuff among others but what I've seen was rather expensive.

2. If I wanted to replace the unit completely with something more "up to date" what kind of options do I have? I have heard mention of something called "MOST" not sure what it is, if I have it, or how can I tell. evidently it is important when considering replacing/hooking up aftermarket radios and such. I know the HU communicates somehow with the display in the instrument cluster (station info and such) Will any aftermarket HU interface with that? can that functionality be left "un-hooked" and just use the BOSE speakers and amp with another HU like an Alpine or Elcipse? (any recommendations with or without NAV or DVD)

3. If I was able to find a Porsche PCM on the secondary market, how difficult is it to install? is there a lot of wiring required or are most Cayenne's wired for it even if it's not an installed option? I have seen them for sale on ebay among other places but didn't know what I would be getting myself into.

thanks in advance, I really hope someone can help or give me some direction...

regards,

John

been there. I finally went with PCM unit.

though, I've seen that Panasonic is using the MOST system on their units. maybe you can find one that work with bose(should work), dont know what to say about the buttons. you will pretty much loose the controls on the steering.

There is no low cost way of doing this. In order to get sound into the Bose amp you have to travel the MOST fiber optic bus. In order to get on the bus you need a Mobridge unit (MOST Bridge). you can replace the CDR with any head unit you like so long as it comes with pre amp outputs, plug those into the Mobridge AUX input and your working. A couple of people used a Panasonic Nav/SAT unit in this way. All you need to do is get some decorative panel to clean up the installation and I have seen someone selling stuff like that on ebay. While your doing that you can pug in your ipod and get that working also.

been there. I finally went with PCM unit.

though, I've seen that Panasonic is using the MOST system on their units. maybe you can find one that work with bose(should work), dont know what to say about the buttons. you will pretty much loose the controls on the steering.

Just a thought that might be way off. I saw over at Caymen Club (9 World now??) that the pinouts on the CDR-24 are the same as the 23. Don't know if that offers any additional benefits or even if it fits the same hole. Might allow the Porsche iPod interface to work. Maybe even has an aux-in.

There was a DIY on same site to aux-in thru pins to the rear panel of the CDR-24.

Have you guys seen this...

NAV-TV releases world’s first replacement head unit module for the Porsche Cayenne

http://dupontregistry.wordpress.com/2009/0...orsche-cayenne/

Interestingly it doesn't appear on their website at all...

I already have a gateway 500 in my 03 TT, but I'd definately go this route for my next Cayenne and 997.

Hope this is of interest...

Cheers

DS

Have you guys seen this...

NAV-TV releases world’s first replacement head unit module for the Porsche Cayenne

http://dupontregistry.wordpress.com/2009/0...orsche-cayenne/

Interestingly it doesn't appear on their website at all...

I already have a gateway 500 in my 03 TT, but I'd definately go this route for my next Cayenne and 997.

Hope this is of interest...

Cheers

DS

thats nice!

I was waiting for something like that.

• 2 weeks later...