Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

GT3 Horsepower Upgrades

sukhoi31

Trying to get information on best way to develop more horsepower in a 996 GT3. Have made a number of changes already including Fabspeed headers and exhaust, Fabspeed intake system, fuel injection upgrades, new gearbox close ratios.

Interested in hearing from those who have experience with further changes to generate horsepower. I am told it gets difficult and expensive from here on.

Thanks

Trying to get information on best way to develop more horsepower in a 996 GT3. Have made a number of changes already including Fabspeed headers and exhaust, Fabspeed intake system, fuel injection upgrades, new gearbox close ratios.

Interested in hearing from those who have experience with further changes to generate horsepower. I am told it gets difficult and expensive from here on.

Thanks

I have Cargraphic mufflers, otherwise stock exhaust system, FVD Brombacher ECU flash. Much better overall street driveability (more low-end). On the dyno, picked up 16 rwhp, est 19 at the flywheel. I've spoken to others who say they only picked up 6-8 rwhp with headers and other exhaust mods. I would think they'd do better than that, but have no experience there. Many others offer quality ECU flashes to match your other mods.

• 1 month later...

I had this posted on Rennlist:

I thought it would be interesting to post these results of upgrades I just did on my 04 GT3. (Known in NJ as GT3 RR)

BMC Air filter = RWHP 326 on Powertech Dyno (two years ago)

Fabspeed Mufflers (plus above) = RWHP 336 RWTorque 273 on WINPEP Dyno

Fabspeed Sport Cats with X pipe (plus above) = RWHP 349 RWTQ 281

Fabspeed FIA headers (plus above) = RWHP 367 RWTQ 305

Does anyone know what this might convert to for "at the crank" numbers? I've heard 15% to 18% loss on the GT3.

The results sound nice and throttle response is a bit better. Not sure on how much quicker it actually is. We'll see this spring on the track.

Thanks,

Warren

Warren Pushaw

04 GT3 RR

Thanks

Odd how people always ask how they can generate more horsepower, when what they really seem to want is more torque for acceleration. Considering a GT3 can go much faster than speed limits and most track designs allow, what practical use do you have for more hp?

If you're looking for more powerful acceleration, maybe it's time to buy a Turbo or GT2. Or turbo/SC your GT3 if you're brave. With every change you make to your drivetrain, you're introducing more potential failure modes and possibly robbing yourself of usable power (torque). That extra 15-20 hp that thousands in mods have bought you on a 400+hp car may be elusive to find in the seat of your pants.

I know this soapbox isn't particularly welcome for those who like to mod their cars. To my mind you'll find a better return on investment by purchasing more car, especially at this level of stock performance. If bragging rights on output numbers are your game (and it probably is if you're estimating whp loss percentages) then you may be better off with traditional high-displacement engines and the cars that fit them. Or you can trust that dedicated folk with lab coats and slide rules have given you the best mix of power, reliability and driveability that your car allows.

Mark

Very good and valid points. Flashing my ECU was to develop better low-end and street driveability since I am no longer tracking my car, not to achieve more hp. I should go back and compare hp/tq curves at that low-end to see what the actual gains were, but there is no question in my mind (butt) that it's smoother to drive on the street.