Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

90k Maintanance On A 2.5k

I would like to perform a 90K maintanance on my 2.5L. I still have some miles to go but want to prepare in advanced.

I intend to change:

- Oil

- oil filter

- Fuel filter

- Air filter

- Spark plugs

- Spark plug cables?

Can anyone provide the PN's,brands, or a link to someone's site that has done this?

Thanks

Edited by scherb

• Moderators

When I started out 5 plus years ago never thought I would see a 90k Boxster.

On local cars we have done the 15, 30, 45, and 60k service. See if you can find out if the 75k service was done.

I will give you a list of parts at the tech session.

Oil [personal selection Valvoline 20w-50w synthetic Case][Lucky me on sale at Kragen 3.99.]

Porsche states Mobil one.

- Oil filter Q128/ 996 107 020 53

- Fuel filter 996 110 253 01

- Air filter 996 110 131 04

- Spark plugs Bosch - FR 7 LDC4

- Spark plug cables - none

Good Luck,

Scott

Edited by mrmickeymouse

I don't mind Mobil 1, but Mobil 1 does not have the viscosity I prefer. Valvoline synthetic only because I have racer friend who swears by it; he did some tests on his own and saw Castrol [my favorite] make excessive wear in the valve train.

So I am stuck with two [self imposed] Mobil 1 - wrong viscosity or Valvoline which he uses and likes, and now I like due to only burning 1/2 quart of oil in 5000 miles. Porsche states it should be higher, oh well.

I am happy, it's quick and I don't hear any valve rattle. I love 20-50W, works well for me.

I can only tell you what works for me and my cars, average miles are 150,000 plus.

My Boxster is my baby with 137,000. There is no protection at 0W [in my opinion] If someone can tell me why I should run Ow [baby oil] in my car please enlighten me.

Please don't say Porsche said so, some empirical testing will suffice.

Scott

0W-40 improves gas mileage (lower friction). Also if you live and drive in cold climates (below freezing) then thinner oils (10w) would probably be necessary.

Otherwise if you live in a warm climate and you do not care about maximizing fuel efficiency then the added protection of heavier oils (15w, 20w) is worthwhile.

It's funny you should talk about gas mileage, I average 20-22 around town [some on freeway/ some off]. 90% lead footed, sorry I love the speed and power of my Boxster.

What's cheaper a few cents in gas mileage or a new motor sooner.

BTW - Is my mileage different then most people?

Scott

So I guess after a TrafficPro installation this car is a mile away from One Million?

without counting this Million mile car...

No. 1 MrMickeymouse with 137k

No. 2 Scherb with 86k

No. 3 ..........

It's funny you should talk about gas mileage, I average 20-22 around town [some on freeway/ some off]. 90% lead footed, sorry I love the speed and power of my Boxster.

What's cheaper a few cents in gas mileage or a new motor sooner.

BTW - Is my mileage different then most people?   

Scott

You get better mileage than Sonja (02 S). On tollway trips and cruise control I get 20-22. Around town, 16-18 is common. I usually accelerate at 70%-100% throttle leaving a stoplight. In my experience, higher speeds do not significantly impact mileage as I have gotten 21MPG top down with 50% of the tank driven in the 130-150MPH range :D Top up adds a couple of miles per gallon when 5th and 6th gear cruising.

I went to the dealer to get my oil filter and I got the following:

996-107-225-53 Oil filter inser...

996-123-106-30 alum seal ring.... They did not give me the Oil filter Q128/ 996 107 020 53

Can anyone confirm this is ok?

Car: Box 2.5L 1997