Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Key reset procedures - my 1st official post!

Hello,

New owner here of MY02 Carrera. Loving it! Coming from the BMW world where I knew all the tricks and now i'm starting from the bottom with the Porsche. I'm trying to figure out how to get both of my keys to work for the remote lock/unlock. I've searched but not seen a situation listed like mine...

1. Both keys start the car properly.

2. Red key (red at the top of the blade) works in the ignition and properly for lock/unlock.

3. Yellow key (yellow bit at the top of the blade) works in the ignition but does nothing for lock/unlock. I don't get a lit red LED on the key when pushing the buttons either.

I would like to reset the one (yellow) key so they both work without somehow disabling both keys and screwing myself. I have no idea where to start and I have searched many posts and googled but only return things like "see the dealer" which is OK for most, but I personally like to know how everything works. (Unless that is my only option...but I would hope I could recover the functionality since it is not a new key.

Thanks. :D

Welcome aboard. You will find this site provides the BEST technical support..period.

You have the following options:

1. try a soft reset...this is done by inserting the battery reverse polarity for about 10 seconds and then installing it correctly

2. A new battery (as stated above)

3. "Wake" the key fob...insert in the door and unlock the car then hit the remote button...this happens if the key fob has not been used for 5 days

4. reprogram...this needs a Porsche tool (PIWIS or PST2)

5. New key (and reprogram)...most $

I have heard that if you don't use the key for >6 months it needs to be reset, but I have never tried this (I always use both keys at least once every 3 months)

Edited by wross996TT

• 2 weeks later...

I recently had a similar problem with my 02. Replaced the batteries and they worked for a couple more weeks, but alas, had to replace them. It costs $230 at the dealer to replace the circuit boards on both keys, but at least I won't have to deal w/ key probs for a while...