Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Is That Noise Normal ???

can you hear this metallic grinding sound ?? (not the exhaust sound)

is that normal ???

Never heard it from inside the car, but it was quite loud from the outside.

it was heard during this left turn. not sure that it was in all turns.

HELP ????

car_noise.wmv

Edited by TT180

Sound like either a rock in the the brake dust shield or a bent dust shield rubbing against the rotor.

Go to a parking lot, put the windows down, accelerate to 15 mph, clutch in then coast. You should be able to determine where the noise is coming from.

Could be a wheel bearing also, the parts mentioned above are close in proximity to each other, so you may have a hard time figuring it out driving, it would be easier to jack your vehicle up safely and rotate your wheel and check for a rubbing as metioned above, if not it may well be your wheel bearing.

Figures "G" and "H" are the two things metioned above "brake dust shield or a bent dust shield rubbing rotor."

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/proje...ange_rotors/are

Mine is more difficult - sorry

Scott

The above link did not work for me. Try

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/proje.../change_rotors/

and see figure J or see attached.

You do not have to take off the rotor to inspect the shield just take off the wheel. Once you have the wheel off spin the rotor and see if it makes any noise. If so then look between the shield and the rotor to see if there are any rocks stuck there. Use a screwdriver to remove the offending material. If the shield itself is rubbing use a screwdriver to pry the shield away from the rotor where it is touching.

While the noise could be a wheel bearing in my experience that noise is lower pitched. Wheel bearing noise usually only happens while turning the car in one direction only (assuming you only have one bad bearing). Unless it is really bad it is hard to detect just by spinning the wheel while the car is jacked up. You can also test this by accelerating to 20 mph, coasting with the clutch in and swerving the car back and forth. If you have a bad bearing you will hear it when the car is pitched to either the left or right.

If it is really bad you will be able to feel it if you spin the wheel with the car off of the ground. The wheel rotation will feel rough and you may hear some noise (though you have to be careful as the noise may only be the brake pad rubbing on the rotor). This is not easy to detect if you have never done it before. Try to compare how the left feels versus the right and see if you can notice a difference.

If the bearing is really, really bad then with the tire off of the ground, grab the top the tire with one hand and the bottom of the tire with you other hand. Try and rock the tire i.e. push in with the top hand and pull out with the bottom and vice versa. If you feel any movement or hear any clicking noises then the bearing is really worn and needs to be replaced.

post-676-1097386167.jpg

• 8 years later...

Hello,

I have a question about noise. How much noise is "normal" noise when it comes to driving in a convertible. I have 18" tires. I hear a wobbly noise at times when I go over bumps, and it sounds like it is coming directly behind me, center, like underneath the rolled ragtop. I took it in, had a mechanic drive with me, and could barely produce the sound. He seemed to know what it was. One control arm and two sway bar bushings later, the noise is still there. The place to my knowledge and experience is an honest place, so my question is this: is what I'm hearing regular convertible noise?

How long has the car been making the noise? How long have you owned the car? Is the noise heard only when going over bumps? Does it change with different height of bump? At what speeds or does speed make a difference? Does it change if you coast/idle over a bump with the car in neutral? Does it change if you're turning while going over the bump? Does it matter which wheel hits the bump, and if so which wheel makes it better or worse? I'm not sure what "wobbly noise" sounds like. Can you describe it differently? grinding, rubbing, rattling, drumming, scraping, high or low pitch, etc.

What year/model is your car? Have you made any modifications?